PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Launching MySQL from Applications Menu

bridger
February 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I ran the various packages and application installs for MySQL, but I do not see the listings under Applications --> Programming. Am I able to launch MySQL from a menu, or is launching this only available from the command line?

oldfred
February 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM
You can add anything you want to the menu. Just right click on the Applications and it will give you a list and just click Add.

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I ran the various packages and application installs for MySQL, but I do not see the listings under Applications --> Programming. Am I able to launch MySQL from a menu, or is launching this only available from the command line?

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Dare I ask how you installed MySQL ?

MySQL (or specifically the deamon) runs 'behind the scenes' - you would not normally need to issue command lines to MySQL except for. possibly doing a backup of a database.

Dependent on the method used, you will either have easy access via PHPMyAdmin to it all, or you will not.

If you post back what method you used I should be able to assist, or you are welcome to have a look at a quick, easy how-to overon my Tech-Talk area (In my Sig, or direct --> http://www.vpolink.com/threads/493-LAMP-Important

Regards,

Phill.

bridger
February 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the tip for right-clicking. Unfortunately, this didn't show all applications I installed.

I tried to run the package for PHPMyAdmin and it failed.

So, before I go further, I have removed MySQL components using the Ubuntu Software Center (Add/Remove.) I'm going to do some further research before giving it another go.

My end goal is to learn MySQL to complement my knowledge of MS SQL and Microsoft Access.

Thanks for the help.