PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Warcraft 3 doesn't open properly

Kayrosh
February 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hey guys. I've had many problems with Linux so far. Here's just one:
Well. I love Warcraft 3. So I bought Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne today. I installed them correctly with WINE and tried to open. It starts to open like it does at internet cafes, so I think its fine. But then the screen resolution keeps changing and it doesn't get anywhere.
Next problem:
I ask my friend who has warcraft 3 on Linux. He says you don't have the right drivers. I go to System > Administrator > Hardware Drivers and as he said the applet said: "No proprietary drivers installed".
My friend says to check the Video graphics card. But I don't see where i can find what model it is. My computer is Compaq presario CQ60 with the default video/graphics cards. I know nothing about drivers, but if you could help me....it would help. If I can't find a solution ill probably reformat my computer to Windows 7.
Thank you for all comments or suggestions.

Khakilang
March 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
You're better that me. My screen just go blank. Nothing happen and it doesn't seem to hang. Maybe you can check the Software source and click the Official supported restricted copyright than go to other software and click all of them than go to Ubuntu Software Center and go to Other and install Ubuntu Restricted extras. Than go to Update Manager and update your software. Last only go to Hardware drivers and choose what is recommended. That's how I manage to install my nVidia driver. Hope this help and good luck.

tom4everitt
March 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Two tips:

1. In System->Administration->Hardware drivers there will be a button to activate proprietary drivers, if there are any available. Otherwise they're probably installed already. Do you get fancy effects when minimizing windows or switching workspaces?

2. Install the wine beta instead of wine. Remove wine and search and install wine1.2 instead. If still doesn't work you can try wine1.2 in lucid instead, the beta is out.