PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Restart from login screen

mathfreak123
February 14th, 2010, 12:11 PM
So, I was playing around with some things on my system today, and I discovered that I could restart my computer from the login screen while another user was logged in.

Why would anyone be allowed to restart the computer while someone else was logged in?

Is there a way for me to limit who can restart the computer (as in, limit the power to administrators only)?

It is okay if I can't really limit who can restart it, since I'm the only one who ever uses this computer, but it would be cool if I knew there was a way.:p

cariboo
February 15th, 2010, 12:59 AM
The system should have asked you for a password to shutdown if there are other users logged in.

mathfreak123
February 15th, 2010, 01:13 AM
The system should have asked you for a password to shutdown if there are other users logged in.

I just checked by restarting while I was still logged in. The system did not ask me for a password.

I don't remember changing some option or parameter that would allow anyone to restart while others were logged in. Is there a way for me to get the system to prompt for a password?

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic (if this piece of information is needed). :D

Muzer
February 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
You can probably change the restart/shutdown commands in the login screen options to something that won't actually restart the computer - but then you'd have to log in in order to reboot at all.

mathfreak123
February 15th, 2010, 06:35 AM
You can probably change the restart/shutdown commands in the login screen options to something that won't actually restart the computer - but then you'd have to log in in order to reboot at all.

Yeah, I might have to use this as a back-up solution. Still though, it'd be nice if I can get a prompt for the pass every time I restart or shutdown from the login screen.

Paddy Landau
February 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM
It's not a security issue, because anyone with physical access to the computer can force a restart by pressing the power switch or disconnecting the power cord.

If someone really wanted to force a restart, it's better for the system to allow it through the menu than forcing it through a power cut. So it makes sense to allow it.

It should at least give a warning, though. It does on mine.

mathfreak123
February 16th, 2010, 02:20 AM
It's not a security issue, because anyone with physical access to the computer can force a restart by pressing the power switch or disconnecting the power cord.

If someone really wanted to force a restart, it's better for the system to allow it through the menu than forcing it through a power cut. So it makes sense to allow it.

It should at least give a warning, though. It does on mine.

Ok, that makes plenty of sense, then. :D

However, it does not give me a notification of anything whatsoever, but the screen does show who is logged in. I suppose that's acceptable for me, then. :S

I'll mark this thread as solved.