PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Thin scrollbars

smokyink
February 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
First of all sory if the tread is in the wrong place...

As the title says, I want to set the window scrollbars to be thinner. I hate wasting screen space, besides I usually use the mouse scroll or the arrow keys...

I have gnome, compiz and a some themes that I have added.

Is it possible to set all window scrollbars to say 5-6 px or even less?

If yes how do I do that?

I mean is there a config file somewhere or is it theme dependent?

howefield
February 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM
This would take care of most of them, but some extra applications may ignore it, eg Chrome.

Type the following in a terminal

gedit ~/.gtkrc-2.0 --

And paste the following into it, where "6" equals the pixel width that you require for your scroll bar, 6 is what I use. Save and close.

style "scroll"
{
GtkScrollbar::slider-width = 6
}

class "*" style "scroll"

smokyink
February 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Wow that is great I will try it now.

By the way if .gtkrc doesn't exist I create one right? Also do I need to log-out/log-in for the changes to take effect?

Edit:

Just tried it and .gtkrc has to be created if not there. Also log-out and then log back in for changes to take effect.

Works great. Thanks howefield (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=186490). :)

howefield
February 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM
By the way if .gtkrc doesn't exist I create one right? Also do I need to log-out/log-in for the changes to take effect?

It most likely doesn't exist, the terminal command I gave will create the empty file for you. You won't need to logout/back in, simply restart the program.

Is there a wiki on things like that? I searched the forum and google...but couldn't find

I have used this since about 7.04, maybe earlier and got it from the ever helpful Robbie Ferguson of Category5.tv

smokyink
February 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for all the help :)