PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] MySQL escaping

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Hi,
quite some time back, when I was learning about MySQL injections it has sorta been drilled into me to use mysql_real_escape_string when dealing with input from users. ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1258982 )

I'm running a standard LAMP installation, with no alterations to the defaults.

On the site in question, I do have this all set up, however, as part of a tutorial series on FULLTEXT, I've included the output of both "un-escaped" and "escaped" input, to show the importance.

Imagine my surprise when I input
'E' via
echo '<form id="input" action="search.php" method="get" />';
echo 'I am Looking For: ';
echo '<input type="text" size="40" name="LookFor" />';
echo '<input type="submit" value="Go Find It !!" />';

and find that
$LookFor=$_GET['LookFor'];
returns
\'E\' BEFORE is run it through the mysql_real_escape_string command, which then thoroughly enjoys itself and returns
\\\'E\\\' #-o

Has someone changed the rules and not told me ??

As you can imagine, it's playing havoc with my trying to put the MySQL query string together !!! ](*,)

I'm sure I was told not to use strip-slashes on input, but it looks like either I should do, or drop the mysql_real_escape_string bit :confused:

Mr O'Riley is going to be much dis-pleased...

Regards,

Phill.

just-work-ffs
February 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Sounds like magic quotes may be turned on in which case you will need to call stripslashes.

You can either change your php config or check for it at runtime.

Try this and see if you get the expected result.

if(get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
$value = stripslashes($_GET['LookFor']);
}
Obviously calling get_magic_quotes_gpc() all the time isn't much fun so you could do something like this early on in your script's execution.

function magicQuotesAreEvil($value) {
return stripslashes($value);
}

array_walk($_GET, 'magicQuotesAreEvil');
array_walk($_POST, 'magicQuotesAreEvil');
array_walk($_COOKIE, 'magicQuotesAreEvil');
}
It may be obvious but you still should be cleaning/checking your input after the above.

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Sounds like magic quotes may be turned on in which case you will need to call stripslashes.

You can either change your php config or check for it at runtime.

Try this and see if you get the expected result.

$value = stripslashes($_GET['LookFor']);
}
Obviously calling get_magic_quotes_gpc() all the time isn't much fun so you could do something like this early on in your script's execution.

function magicQuotesAreEvil($value) {
return stripslashes($value);
}

array_walk($_GET, 'magicQuotesAreEvil');
array_walk($_POST, 'magicQuotesAreEvil');
array_walk($_COOKIE, 'magicQuotesAreEvil');
}
It may be obvious but you still should be cleaning/checking your input after the above.

Thanks for the reply, I also had sorta considered that, so I've just run php_info()

GRRRRR...

I've found out that magic_quotes_gpc are turned on by deafult -- I'm now heading over to trace the person responsible and kill them.

Phill.So, as this is a standard Ubuntu Installation - there will be one less developer around when I get my hands on him.

WarningThis feature has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0 and REMOVED as of PHP 6.0.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged.

So, we're only on 5.2 but ....

However, it also tries to undo a dose of magic_quotes_gpc. Now admittedly no-one should ever be using magic quotes, as they're broken idiotic rubbish that even the PHP devs who came up with them have been telling us not to use for years, but if you were to add code to your script to detect the damage that magic quotes do and undo it, this would be the wrong place to do it.
I'll go check the hosting server now - coz if've got them turned on I'll need to alter my php.ini file to disable them.

Thanks for the help - Hopefully I can just turn the stupid things off.

I may even add a line of code similar to ...

(*: my preferred approach is to sniff for magic_quotes_gpc, and if present immediately die with an error message telling you not to use that, you big old fool. It may not be very user friendly, but I've spent enough time fixing na´ve vulnerable PHP apps that I no longer greatly care about being friendly.) ;)

And, as I've just spent ages back-cheking my code - I'm NOT amused !!!!

Regards,

Phill.