PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD drive does not open

Ubu_Fester
February 14th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I have a new PC build with a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10.

I can open up the DVD drive to insert a DVD. However, the DVD button does not work when I need to eject. I need to eject through software.

Thanks in advance.

moongia
February 14th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I have the same problem,i just go to places>home,from there i just hit the unmount button next to the cd or dvd i have in..That's the only way i know how to get it out..

Rhubarb
February 14th, 2010, 05:15 AM
try using the eject command in the terminal.

eject

If that doesn't work, sometimes having root privilege forces it to eject:

sudo eject
Note, if you run sudo, you'll be prompted for your password, enter this in and it should eject for you.

Satoru-san
February 14th, 2010, 06:53 AM
drive has to be UNmounted to remove the disk, this is the same for every linux out there.

sudo umount -f /dev/sr0

Larsm1980
February 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM
drive has to be UNmounted to remove the disk, this is the same for every linux out there.

sudo umount -f /dev/sr0

Or just rightclick the ikon on the desktop that aperd when you put the dvd drive in. and press unmount from the menu :)

jblinux
February 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
The funny thing is, the eject button worked just fine in 9.04. It didn't stop working until I upgraded to 9.10! Now, after watching a movie, neither of my DVD drives will open w/ the eject button. Seems to be a glitch in 9.10. Also, when I put in a movie in 9.04 (or earlier), the title would show up on the desktop as an icon (as mentioned above). Now in 9.10, it no longer does, so there's no icon to right click for a menu!

Ubu_Fester
January 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I upgraded to 10.10 and it works again.