PDA

View Full Version : "build an email database." any idea?

Kdar
February 14th, 2010, 04:02 AM
One of my customers sent me this - "Are you a data base guy? I need to build an email database.".
(I did some web-development for him).

What does he mean by email database? just collection of e-mails to which he can send out newsletters? or?

NoaHall
February 14th, 2010, 04:18 AM
At a guess, I'd say a database of email addresses.

Kdar
February 14th, 2010, 04:35 AM
How would you create one? I guess I could start collecting it from the site by user submissions (subscribing)?

NoaHall
February 14th, 2010, 04:45 AM
How would you create one? I guess I could start collecting it from the site by user submissions (subscribing)?

It depends on what he wants. Ask your client.

lovinglinux
February 14th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Please don't do it. Collecting random e-mails is the most basic method used by spammers. If your client wants to build a database, then create a newsletter system on his site that will allow his clients to subscribe/unsubscribe willingly.

Take the opportunity to teach him how bad spam is.

Spam in e-mail started to become a problem when the Internet was opened up to the general public in the mid-1990s. It grew exponentially over the following years, and today comprises some 80 to 85% of all the email in the world, by a "conservative estimate".[3]

I totally despise those e-mail addresses databases. I often receive e-mails offering to buy those lists and several of my e-mail addresses are on them.

I hate spam so much!