PDA

View Full Version : LPI Certification Questions

DigitalDuality
March 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I'm looking into getting the LPI certification.

(both for my resume.. and i need a structure which to learn by and a goal to obtain.. otherwise i don't do it).

So this is for both business and pleasure. Even if certs get..overlooked or "don't mean anything" in terms of jobs.. i still want to do it. When the Ubuntu test is available, I'll jump on that in a heartbeat. But one step at at time.

I'm not an expert, i'm not a total windows noob.

Has anyone in here taken this? Do you have any advice for me? Any particular texts i should reference to study? A good source of practice exams? I've seen quite a few books on it..but kinda unsure about which one suits it best. I'm kinda limited on cash and can't really afford 5-6 different books at 30-60 bucks a pop.

As it stands now i've been using 2 unix texts from college days and going chapter by chapteer (3-4 a night). The last 2-3 weeks, i've been avoiding the GUI as much as possible to stay familiar with the command line. And got my walls covered in little print out reference (graphic/explaination of the file system, list of most common commands and what they do, etc).

I've built myself a mail server with Hula and got it working. Built a webserver and got it working. Been testing getting Fedora and Ubuntu authenticating and working well in a windows environment. Been playing around with DansGuardian a bit. But i feel really scattered and kinda all over the place.

Something a bit more structured to stick to would be great, if anyone has any ideas.

cmnorton
August 5th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I have passed LPI 101, and am taking exam 102 soon.

i purchased long distance learning from LinuxCertified.com. It is expensive; geared to RedHat; and is installation/configuration based. The production of the audio visual is very good.

I also purchased three books certification books. In addition, I already had a copy of Linux in a Nutshell O'Reilly:

LPI Linux Certification O'Reilly
LPIC-1 Linux Professional Institute Certification Cybex
Exam Cram 2/LPIC I

The latter two books come with exam engines, which I have found very helpful. O'Reilly has very good chapeter and final exam questions. Basically, I have been at this since February earlier this year, and I am throwing myself into studying for and taking the second exam.