PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen whenever I try to install Ubuntu

silvermage91
February 14th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Hello, I've recently gotten interested in installing Ubuntu on my computer alongside Windows 7, and set aside a partition for ubuntu. When I boot up my computer with the CD in it, I'm able to see the ubuntu install screen, but once I try to run the demo or to install ubuntu, my screen simply goes black and seems to do nothing. A friend of mine told me that it might be my video card, which is an intel mobile chipset. could that be the problem?

JayPeeJay
February 14th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Hey, I'm kinda a noob, but the same thing happened to me. From the Grub bootloader menu, you will see a command that brings up additional options (I think it's F8 but my memory is fuzzy on that). Hit that, and remove the "quiet splash" from the command line that appears, then boot it. If your computer is anything like mine, that will be enough to make it run right there. If not, at least you have the splash to show you where your computer is freezing up. Let me know if that helps.

presence1960
February 14th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hello, I've recently gotten interested in installing Ubuntu on my computer alongside Windows 7, and set aside a partition for ubuntu. When I boot up my computer with the CD in it, I'm able to see the ubuntu install screen, but once I try to run the demo or to install ubuntu, my screen simply goes black and seems to do nothing. A friend of mine told me that it might be my video card, which is an intel mobile chipset. could that be the problem?

At the menu screen after you boot the Live CD hit F4 and choose safe graphics mode. For more info about that and other boot options see here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions).

If that does not work try installing with the alternate text based installer. Get it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate).

silvermage91
February 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
the splash to see where its messing up? well, sometimes when I try to use the live CD option, I see a dark screen with some color design, and then the screen goes completely black. I think im going to try the text based installer