PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Writer Not Working

acreech
February 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have a combo DVD/CD Writer internal drive. I have found that the DVD writer has worked in the past. Now it seems that I can no longer write to a DVD. I can write to a CD still though. The error that I got from K3B is "OPC Failed. Probably the writer does -like the medium."

I am not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. Can anyone give me some hints on how to determine if I am dealing with a software issue or a hardware issue.

Thanks

acreech

acreech
February 14th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I ran the code

sudo lshw | less

This is the hardware on my computer.

acreech-laptop
description: Notebook
product: Aspire 7520
vendor: Acer
version: V1.21
serial:
width: 64 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4 vsyscall64 vsyscall32
configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook uuid=66303861-3538-6239-6635-001B38C81CD2

*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: DVD-RW DVRKD08RS
vendor: PIONEER
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 1.02
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

My firm ware on the drive is 1.02. I wondered if I could try to update the firmware for the drive, but I have not been able to find the place to download the firmware.

Thanks for any help with this.

acreech

acreech
February 14th, 2010, 07:01 AM
bump

acreech
February 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Let me throw a kink into the works.

I was trying to burn to a regular sized TDK DVD-R 1-16X 4.7 GB DVDR

I found that I could burn to a small Ridata DVD-R 4X 1.46 GB DVDR

Why can I burn a mini disk and not a full size disk. Firmware?

mwcrowley
February 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Don't update the firmware yet.
Are you running karmic and was it working before the upgrade to karmic?
http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8809940

acreech
February 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Don't update the firmware yet.
Are you running karmic and was it working before the upgrade to karmic?
http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8809940

I am running karmic. I have not experienced this problem while using hardy heron, Intrepid Ibex, or Jackalope Jaunty. I burnt DVD's before switching to karmic to backup some data.

I also have not done anything to change the hardware in my system. So the system is the same one.

My system recognizes the blank DVD when you put it in, but it errors out when you try to write to it.

My brother had some issues with writing to a DVD when he switched to Karmic, but he solved it by installing K3B. I attempted to use K3B and that did not solve my issue.

acreech

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hi,

If brassero and K3B are giving you grief, can I suggest cleaning the drive with a cd-drive cleaner, it's possible that there's some old-fashioned muck on your write LED.

Regards,

Phill.

acreech
February 15th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Hi,

If brassero and K3B are giving you grief, can I suggest cleaning the drive with a cd-drive cleaner, it's possible that there's some old-fashioned muck on your write LED.

Regards,

Phill.

Thanks for such a simple suggestion. I had not thought of that because it was still reading and writing to some degree, but after I cleaned the laser, it appears to be working just fine.