PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit version

rem
February 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Hello friends,

I know this has been covered already in the past but just need to be 100% sure: currently, is it possible to install the 64 bit version over the 32 bit without damaging or deleting my /home partition? Will the /home partition work under the new 64bit Ubuntu?

Thank you!

oldfred
February 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I had my home inside my 32 bit install for 3 years. I followed psychocats instructions on creating a separate /home while 32 bit and installed the 64 bit version with new home I had just created. I have not seen any issues.
I also created a separate /data partition and moved all my data from my old install there and now home is very small ~1GB. Firefox and Thunderbird profiles normally in home are also in another shared NTFS partition for the occasional boot into windows.

rem
February 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
i will backup my /home partition data on an external drive, will fresh install the 64 bit version then will restore my data. i cannot afford to loose any information since my PC is mainly for work.

thank you for your time!

oldos2er
February 14th, 2010, 07:16 PM
During the installation, just remember not to format your current /home. Backup any sensitive data beforehand, in any case.

rem
February 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Sure, will do that, thanks guys .