PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Live cd speed indicitive of install speed?

okanagansage
February 13th, 2010, 10:47 PM
1)I got xubuntu running from the cd on an old compaq with a amd k6-2, 500 mhz, and 500 meg ram. It took quite a while to open firefox (30-60 seconds). Will it be that slow after a full install? I have high speed internet.

2)Maybe I should try Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux instead. Any other suggestions?

marshmallow1304
February 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM
A liveCD is considerably slower than a full install.

Yvan300
February 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Don't worry when you install, firefox would open at a regular speed of 10s and i think you should install xubuntu and then try damn small linux. It is not as user friendly imo.

Sir Jasper
February 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Hi,

I leave Firefox minimised on my panel and it re-opens instantaneously; else it takes some 10 seconds to open from scratch.

My regards

Shpongle
February 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
theres lighter browsers too , like midori though it still needs work. i use chromium , firefox and konqueror these days.

Zill
February 14th, 2010, 12:00 AM
...Maybe I should try Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux instead. Any other suggestions?
I suggest you take a look at CrunchBang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org/) - much faster than Xubuntu IMHO.

jflaker
February 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Data transfer from CD is about 1/2 to 1/3 that of a hard disk. Also, things are running from memory which should make things faster, but it isn't efficient.

Expect at minimum, twice the speed when running from hard disk.

garvinrick4
February 14th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I do not believe CD is the right medium to get any sort of idea of how much speed
you will have in opening any application. Me and a buddy just put together an old Laptop
with 250 meg of RAM with 9.10 and it is fast enough to be quite usable for the Web.
That is all you can expect out of older processors and short RAM. 500 meg of Ram should
do quite well with a full Linux install for the proper use.