PDA

View Full Version : What key/button is your jump function bound to?

blueshiftoverwatch
February 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM
When playing computer games, do you bind the jump function to a keyboard key or a mouse button?

I always use the right mouse button. Which is the main reason why I can't play games with a trackball like the Logitech Marble (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/4680&cl=us,en). If my thumb is using the fire button, my index and middle fingers moving the ball, and ring finger is trying to jump. It gets very awkward and hard to control my character with all of this going on at once. So I switched back to using a regular mouse.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who thought that was weird to use anything but the space bar. I think it's really weird to use anything but a mouse button.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Bump.

tjwoosta
February 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Spacebar for me

I think its probably because spacebar is the default with the vast majority of games. Since you walk with w,a,s,and d the spacebar makes perfect sense because its right by your thumb. And I like crouch to be shift so I can hit it with my pinky.

I use right mouse button for shooting, scroll for weapon select, middle click programable for quick weapon switch, left mouse button for melee or alt-fire, depends on the game.

EDIT: o yea, I don't like track ball mice either.

Zoot7
February 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Spacebar here too.

koleoptero
February 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Keyboard, mostly space, but sometimes some other key that is more convenient.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I think its probably because spacebar is the default with the vast majority of games.
I think that right mouse button being used for jump is what came default for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight:_Dark_Forces_II) and that's just what I got used to because that was the first FPS I got seriously into. Actually, I think it used the arrow keys for movement as well. Which might explain why it took me up until a few years ago to make the switch to WASD.

I use the left Internet back button for alt-fire whenever possible. Most games seem to support it.