PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu doesn't like my ps3

Katman000
February 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
For various reasons I have decided that it would be helpful to use my PS3 as a backup computer for homework and basic word processing.

I looked up some instructions on installing Ubuntu on the PS3 and followed them exactly. I'm using the PS3 port, I put it on a clean disk, I already partitioned and installed the OS (by that I mean, I used the install other OS function on the XMB) When I run the OS it brings me to the live CD with the penguins, but after I hit enter, the screen just goes black. Occasionally it has given me the initramfs screen, but only sometimes.

I also noticed, on the first screen, before I hit enter there is a "ps3av_send_cmd_pkt" error.

I have looked all over google for a fix, but have found little help. I am using the Power PC port to PS3 of 9.10.

Thanks!

robertneville777
February 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Was it the "alternate" or "desktop" install disc? As I remember, only the alternate text based install disc works, because the PS3 doesn't have enough ram to handle the desktop version (why ubuntu offers both, I haven't a clue).

Also, if you have to, post around at "psubuntu.com". They're great on that stuff. :D