PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is there a way to save Firefox seetings and bookmarks to transfer them on new OS?

oingk
February 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi guys.

I'm going to have to make a clean reinstall of my operating systems and I have a question. I don't want to lose my Firefox settings and bookmarks etc. Is there a way to save all these as a file somewhere and transfer them on my new operating system ?

Thanks.

kgarbutt
February 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, follow this:

Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks/Import and Backup/Backup to backup,

then use restore to restore them.

iponeverything
February 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
cd ~
tar -cvf mozilla.tar .mozilla

copy ~/mozilla.tar to a pen drive.
On the new install copy mozilla.tar to ~

tar -xvf mozilla.tar
chown -R yourusername.yourusername .mozilla

and fire up firefox.

73ckn797
February 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Another way that will save all of the data, not just bookmarks is to backup or copy your profile folder. That will be located in:

/home/yourname/.mozilla/firefox/*.default"yourname" is your home folder.
The "*.default" folder is your Firefox info. You will also want to backup the "profile.ini" file in the
/home/yourname/.mozilla/firefox folder.

Copy the contents to a flash drive or CD.

You can do the same for Thunderbird if you want to save that info. This would also apply to any other folder in your /home folder for other programs if you plan on re-installing those programs.

Best thing would be to create a separate /home partition when you re-install. That way if a later install is needed, you will already have your settings and will not lose them at all.

Bluppie
February 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
You can also use Xmarks to keep your bookmarks and passwords up to date. Xmarks is an firefox extension. :)

ajgreeny
February 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
And the extension FEBE will do all that and more.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109

switch10
February 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
You can also use Xmarks to keep your bookmarks and passwords up to date. Xmarks is an firefox extension. :)

+1 xmarks is awesome. Saves passwords and bookmarks.

oingk
February 13th, 2010, 10:26 PM
thanks guys you always help me.