PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen since update

Zemblah
February 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hi,

A few days ago I ran an update from the update manager. A whole list of updates, most I cannot remember, all for some background programs, nothing crucial (or so I thought). I specifically deselected any new kernel, so it would not be installed. I got a 404 error saying it couldn't find the kernel on the server I was connecting to anyway (eventhough I told it not to look for it).

So far for the background. After this update, whenever I wanted to go into my Ubuntu partition (I have a multi-boot system, XP, Vista, Ubuntu), the system would show the circle of friends splash. And when time came for the other splash, the screen would go black, and the system would become unresponsive.

Attempts to fix this have so far lead nowhere. I have considered pretty much doing anything. I can always reinstall Ubuntu, but obviously, I consider that a last line of defence.

I have searched these forums, found some tricks and tweaks, mainly involving grub, but haven't gotten any positive results.

TL;DR
Since an update, the system will not boot normally. Black screen/unresponsive when the splash after the circle of friends should show up.

Anyone have any clues what may be the culprit? Or better yet, has an idea how I could fix this? It's quite crippling, seeing how the boot loader gets corrupted everytime I put the laptop in stand by in Vista. To fix that I need to get into Ubuntu. Which is now impossible. Sadly enough, the puter's thrown a fit, and I need to fix the bootloader once more, obviously, this is now not possible. So my only possibility is to boot/use the laptop with the live cd.

-Z