PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update corruption ?

eipapp
February 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'm currently running a dual boot system of Win XP & Ubuntu 9.1.
When first installed, about a month ago, all was working fine then I started running the update manager and for a while that was good also. Suddenly I started having problems, for example, I couldn't download new software. I kept getting a message about waiting on other software managers or something. (since the re-install that is no longer an issue). Next I was having problems installing updates for some reason. Apparently something got corrupted. When my wife tried to boot up the computer last night we got a message that had to do with the kernel and Ubuntu wouldn't load at all and I wound up re-installing the OS.
Obviously something got screwed up with some of the updates and now that I've got Ubuntu up and running again I'm afraid to download ANY updates at all. What is a person to do if you can't trust downloading updates from supposedly trusted sources ? My attitude now is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. As long as the OS and it's applications are running, I'm going to leave them alone. Updates be damned!!

Grenage
February 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I treat Ubuntu updates the way I treat Windows updates - I wait a few days then install them. While updates are fine 99.9% of the time, there is always a small chance that something has been overlooked. They can't test every possible configuration.