PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] extend desktop using my laptop

jmatta
February 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
hello,
I have been using ubuntu 9.10 (karmic koala) for a while
but when I try to extend the desktop to another monitor it just shows a black screen and only the mouse is visible

I used a few settings the maximum I could get was 1280*800 on my primary monitor and 640*480 on the secondary [which is bad] or 1024*768 on the primary [also bad] and 800*600 on the secondary
any more the blank black screen awakes :)

I'm using a HP 530c laptop with integrated 945 intel graphics card and I dual boot between windows 7 and ubuntu[ubuntu as primary]

after googling a lot all the posts show how to dual display with good display settings but by editing "xorg.conf" which shows my problem that I can't find this file ANYWHERE.

any help would be appreciated since I have a few presentations coming on... I can always use the windows but I would like to learn this ..

ubunterooster
February 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
did you go to system/preferences/display and click on the "detect displays" button?

switch10
February 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
dissable compiz to have full resolution. Or stack the monitors on top of each other.

jmatta
February 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
whats compiz ??

Roger Allott
February 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
dissable compiz to have full resolution. Or stack the monitors on top of each other.

I'm running 9.10 with dual monitors right now, and I haven't had to disable compiz to get them working.

ubunterooster
February 17th, 2010, 02:05 PM
whats compiz ??

Compiz is what takes care of all extra desktop effects. There are three options available in a usuall install: none; normal; extra. You could try turning this to none.

ubunterooster
February 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
sorry, I forgot to give location: system/preferences/appearance
go to the "visual effects" tab.

Dale61
February 18th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I'm running 9.10 with dual monitors right now, and I haven't had to disable compiz to get them working.

Are you going to leave the OP hanging, or are you going to let him (us) know how you did it? Even if you post a link, it should help more than just the OP.

C'mon, don't be selfish. I bet you have received help from someone here, so now it's your turn to re-pay that favour.

Roger Allott
February 18th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Are you going to leave the OP hanging, or are you going to let him (us) know how you did it? Even if you post a link, it should help more than just the OP.

C'mon, don't be selfish. I bet you have received help from someone here, so now it's your turn to re-pay that favour.

OK, here's my ten-point guide to getting a dual-monitor set-up working with Compiz.

1. Plug in second monitor.
2. Ummmm .......
3. Errrrr .......
4-9. Repeat steps 2 or 3 as required.
10. That's it.

Dale61
February 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Strange that. I thought it would be as simple as that, but I was wrong.

My laptop monitor is 1366 x 768, whilst my external (desktop) monitor is 1440 x 900. I adjust the laptop, the external is out of whack. I adjust the external, the laptop is out of whack.

I overrode the command for the Catalyst Control Centre, and made some adjustments to the settings, and what do you think happened? The graphics card drivers crashed and I lost both screens.

I'm currently in the middle or re-loading 9.10, and I'm going to have to get used to the out-of-sync screens.

Roger Allott
February 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Strange that. I thought it would be as simple as that, but I was wrong.

My laptop monitor is 1366 x 768, whilst my external (desktop) monitor is 1440 x 900. I adjust the laptop, the external is out of whack. I adjust the external, the laptop is out of whack.

My laptop is 1280x800 and my external monitor is 1440x900. Thus, both have the same aspect ratio, whereas yours don't. I've no idea whether that's relevant, but I don't think it should be.

Dale61
February 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I think the unmatched aspect ratios is the problem. The external being 16:10, with the laptop at 16:9.

The best option for me is to mirror the screens at a resolution of 1280 x 768, which is a 16:10 aspect ratio.

ubunterooster
February 19th, 2010, 02:37 AM
My guess: go w/ what switch10 said. It worked w/ compiz on for roger because his two screens had the same ratio.
If my guess is wrong just turn compiz (visual extra effects) back on.