PDA

View Full Version : I converted a girl to Ubuntu yesterday

Pott
February 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
And she loves it! I feel proud. She doesn't even know why she wanted it, just to mess around with it.

Anyway the install went without a hitch. I think I'd mistyped her password so a quick trip to the recovery mode and I set up a new one... which on another hand means anyone who knows your login name can also reset your admin password... :/

I went to the bathroom for two minutes and she'd already changed the background, theme, mouse, and panels. Runs fast (desktop PC, no clue what components are in), and I installed her all the restricted packages etc...

Kinda reignited my own love for Ubuntu too! My Rythmbox automatically detected all the new songs I put in my HDD since I last booted in it (which was probably November...).

tgpraveen
February 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Anyway the install went without a hitch. I think I'd mistyped her password so a quick trip to the recovery mode and I set up a new one... which on another hand means anyone who knows your login name can also reset your admin password... :/
is this true?
scary if it is

Elfy
February 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Even if you don't know the username ls /home does.

It's not scary - if anyone can get at the pc then they can do whatever they want.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

XubuRoxMySox
February 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Doesn't it make you feel wonderful when you can do something so cool for a friend! I don't "preach Linux" all over the place, but I do let it be known that I have used it to resurrect old 'puters and make them run fast and sweet - better than new.

At the dance studio I have a community computer set up for kids to use for homework and stuff in between classes. It's an ancient old dinosaur but runs super-fast and is so simple that anyone can just sit down and use it without any coaching. When I get compliments on it's simplicity, beauty, and mind-bending speed, I just mention that it's Linux and people are amazed. Just having it there as a "demonstrator" has been enough to win several of the dancers and their families over from Windows.

You just have to remember to tell them that this isn't a drop-in replacement for Windows; that they can't buy a game off the shelf at Wal-Mart or Best Buy and play it on Linux. But for most ordinary tasks that the majority of home users want a 'puter for, there's a Linux to fit the bill.

This week I created a li'l questionnaire that I ask people to fill out before I install Linux for them. This helps me avoid getting all caught up in my own exuberance and tailor a Linux just for that particular person. My questionnaire appears below... if y'all have anything that you would add to it, please suggest it here or here (http://robinzrants.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/another-computer-saved-from-the-landfill/):

A Questionnaire for The New Linux User

Please answer the following questions so that I can make your first experience with this wonderful and completely free operating system as delightful as it can be:

1. What do you want to use your computer for?

2. Are you “technically challenged” and just want to keep it simple, or would you like to explore your “inner geek?”

3. How old is your computer and what Operating System did it ship to you with (example: Windows XP or Vista, OSX, etc)? How big is the HDD and how much RAM? If you don't know, I'll get it from your computer when I pick it up, but it helps me to know in advance.

4. Do you like “eye candy” and pretty special effects on your desktop, or do you prefer a faster, basic desktop with fewer bells and whistles?

5. Please list your favorite and most-used computer applications (programs). Try to categorize them if you can, under headings such as Web Browsing, E-Mail, Music Editing, CD-burning, Office/Word Processing, Photo Editing, etc. Use the back if you run out of room here.

6. Would you like the latest “bleeding edge” stuff or do you prefer older, proven, rock-stable programs?

7. What’s your favorite color?

8. How will you connect to the Internet (if applicable)? Dial-up, wifi, Cable

9. Will you tell all your friends how awesome Linux is (and how nice Robin is for getting it up and running for you)? Don’t answer this one yet...

-Robin

~sHyLoCk~
February 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I converted a girl to Ubuntu yesterday

Ok, what is wrong with that sentence?

Joeb454
February 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM

I thought the same thing, nonetheless, it's a nice story :)

Ghost|BTFH
February 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I sense a new Katy Perry song in the making...:popcorn:

Swagman
February 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM
@ DixieDancer

Haven't seen "Little Bit" for a while... She still around ?

XubuRoxMySox
February 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
@ DixieDancer

Haven't seen "Little Bit" for a while... She still around ?

She got wine flu and spent a few weeks in intensive care. She's okay last I heard, but hasn't been on UF (or in dance class) since she got sick.

-Robin

blueshiftoverwatch
February 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
is this true?
scary if it is
Passwords (even BIOS passwords) are only designed to be marginally effective at stopping people who have physical access to your computer from breaking into it. They wouldn't even have to crack your password. All they'd have to do to get access to your files is remove your hard drive(s) and mount them on another computer. If your really concerned about security you should use encryption.

6. Would you like the latest “bleeding edge” stuff or do you prefer older, proven, rock-stable programs?
Is it just me, or is it only Linux users who say "bleeding edge" instead of "cutting edge"? I've never heard anyone else use it.

forrestcupp
February 13th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Ok, what is wrong with that sentence?+1
So she is Ubuntu now? :)

Is it just me, or is it only Linux users who say "bleeding edge" instead of "cutting edge"? I've never heard anyone else use it.
Bleeding edge is even more advanced than cutting edge. ;)

kgarbutt
February 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM
It is cool when you can get your friends hooked on Ubuntu. Several of my friends have seen the light too. Although, I haven't been able to get my kids to make the change. I agree, it was a nice story.

sudoer541
February 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I sense a new Katy Perry song in the making...:popcorn:

I converted a girl and she liked it.
I hope her mom dont mind it.
It was so right, it was so wrong....

NoaHall
February 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
And she loves it! I feel proud. She doesn't even know why she wanted it, just to mess around with it.

I went to the bathroom for two minutes and she'd already changed the background, theme, mouse, and panels. Runs fast (desktop PC, no clue what components are in), and I installed her all the restricted packages etc...

Kinda reignited my own love for Ubuntu too! My Rythmbox automatically detected all the new songs I put in my HDD since I last booted in it (which was probably November...).

Ugh. You should ALWAYS check the components first. No good screwing someone else's computer up because you didn't check the parts worked with Ubuntu.

Eclipse.
February 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
is this true?
scary if it is

No as entering recovery mode asks for the root password before giving you access.

Anyway with physical access to a machine all security can be overcome easily.The only thing that will protect your data is encryption.

Pott
February 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Ugh. You should ALWAYS check the components first. No good screwing someone else's computer up because you didn't check the parts worked with Ubuntu.

I checked before but I can't remember now. I did a live USB try first to make sure everything worked ok too.

squilookle
February 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM

No, I remember using a Windows media player called Music Cube or something of the like that used to have a "stable" versin and a "bleeding edge" version.

AllRadioisDead
February 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'm waiting for people to start putting up ubuntu churches.

JDShu
February 13th, 2010, 06:35 PM

This actually took me the whole morning to figure out :P

sudoer541
February 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM

lol I know people make it such a big deal.... people Its just an OS!!!

ElSlunko
February 13th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I converted a girl and she liked it.
I hope her mom dont mind it.
It was so right, it was so wrong....

Oh god I wish I hadn't read that.

kmsalex
February 13th, 2010, 10:58 PM

I think its something like,

bleeding edge = alpha/nightly builds
cutting edge = beta/R.C.
stable = well... the current stable

swoll1980
February 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
@title

You make it sound like you bought some kind of adapter, or conversion kit, and installed it on her.

coolbrook
February 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Better make an excuse to convert her again.

JDShu
February 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM
lol I know people make it such a big deal.... people Its just an OS!!!

lol well.. this is a forum about Ubuntu. Of course we think its a big deal.

ElSlunko
February 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM
lol well.. this is a forum about Ubuntu. Of course we think its a big deal.

I think it's a big deal in the underdog type of sense, but it is just an OS to cheer about as much as we use these free tools.

NightwishFan
February 13th, 2010, 11:55 PM
The concept of free software is excellent. When I use it I feel the need to contribute. That is why I think Ubuntu/Linux/OS is a big deal.

OT: Showing and gifting someone with free software is just one great thing that we are enabled to. I am glad when someone actually benefits from it.

Swagman
February 14th, 2010, 12:27 AM
She got wine flu and spent a few weeks in intensive care. She's okay last I heard, but hasn't been on UF (or in dance class) since she got sick.

-Robin

Oh Wow, That's scary. Please give our best wishes when you're next in contact with her.

Zoot7
February 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Actually if I remember correctly somebody posted their own version of a prayer to Mark Shuttleworth and Ubuntu here a while back.

handy
February 14th, 2010, 02:49 AM
gUbuntu?

ElSlunko
February 14th, 2010, 03:44 AM
LOL @ g*dbuntu.

ciborium
February 14th, 2010, 04:19 AM

-Robin

Must've been one heck of a hangover!

Pott
February 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
:D loving where that thread is going!

Anyway yeah... I was just pretty happy that I got someone enjoying Ubuntu as much as I enjoyed it the first time. When you finally get to look and function as you want, which is very easy and forward, it just feels a lot more slick than XP.

However my own laptop still runs Vista faster than Karmic :( which is a shame or I'd use Karmic a lot more often...

I hope that person who got (s)wine flu gets better soon :)

clanky
February 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows that girls don't use computers

blueshiftoverwatch
February 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Wow, I can't believe it took me all this time to get the sexist joke that everyone was referring to. I thought it had something to do with (before the age of the girl was made apparent) the feminist argument of it being offensive to refer to an adult female as a "girl" while adult males are always refereed to "guys" instead of "boys". Talk about over-thinking the whole thing.

toupeiro
February 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Wine Flu.. Is this what you get when you get sick of your windows apps not working in Ubuntu?

xavierp94
February 15th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I've already had a bad experiance in talking to a guy about Ubuntu. One day he asked me something about it then to the next I gave him on of the CDs that I had but things didn't work out for him look many people in the community so he isn't so pleased with Ubuntu. I told him though that before he installed it to try it on the live cd but instead of listening to me he installed it. :/

ElSlunko
February 15th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Did you convert => g/f ?

night_fox
February 15th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Installing ubuntu on a girls computer is as imtimate as it gets!!!!

ElSlunko
February 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Installing ubuntu on a girls computer is as imtimate as it gets!!!!

Drive formatting can get pretty hot & heavy.

Danny Dubya
February 15th, 2010, 02:03 AM
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/a8a7e38fff_27good1.jpg

WOAHYEAH DUDE! SHE'S BEEN CONVERTED TO UBUNTU!

Lux Perpetua
February 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
This week I created a li'l questionnaire that I ask people to fill out before I install Linux for them. This helps me avoid getting all caught up in my own exuberance and tailor a Linux just for that particular person. My questionnaire appears below... if y'all have anything that you would add to it, please suggest it here or here (http://robinzrants.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/another-computer-saved-from-the-landfill/):Nice questionnaire, but I already know what typical examples will look like:

1. What do you want to use your computer for? PR0N

2. Are you “technically challenged” and just want to keep it simple, or would you like to explore your “inner geek?” PR0N

3. How old is your computer and what Operating System did it ship to you with (example: Windows XP or Vista, OSX, etc)? How big is the HDD and how much RAM? If you don't know, I'll get it from your computer when I pick it up, but it helps me to know in advance. Get it from the computer, but you'd better wash your hands afterward, if you know what I mean.

4. Do you like “eye candy” and pretty special effects on your desktop, or do you prefer a faster, basic desktop with fewer bells and whistles? Eye candy...is that what the kids are calling it now?

5. Please list your favorite and most-used computer applications (programs). Try to categorize them if you can, under headings such as Web Browsing, E-Mail, Music Editing, CD-burning, Office/Word Processing, Photo Editing, etc. Use the back if you run out of room here. I think you know the answer to this.

6. Would you like the latest “bleeding edge” stuff or do you prefer older, proven, rock-stable programs? Bleeding edge?!? Hey, I'm not into that kind of stuff, man. Do you think I'm sick or something?

7. What’s your favorite color? Not really into that, either.

8. How will you connect to the Internet (if applicable)? Dial-up, wifi, Cable ?!?!? Dial-up???

9. Will you tell all your friends how awesome Linux is (and how nice Robin is for getting it up and running for you)? Don’t answer this one yet... No problem, as soon as that...er..."eye candy" is good to go.

Pott
February 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Did you convert => g/f ?

No, never had much luck with this particular conversion and I know her because she's one of my best friend's girl ;)