PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI with Unbuntu Server 9.10

RezRunner
February 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Ok guys what I'm wanting to do is set up Ubuntu server on an older Dell x86 system it has 512 ram and 1.8ghz processor and a 40gig hard drive. I also want to have a GUI interface just to play with. I'm doing this all as a learning process to refresh what I know about Linux. I haven't messed with Linux since school and only used (Dare I Say) Redhat 7 at that time. Please let me know if this is possible.

Respectfully
RezRunner :popcorn:

lukeiamyourfather
February 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM
This is possible. Use this command to install GNOME and the basic set of applications that come with the standard version of Ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

It might take a little while because there are quite a few packages. If it doesn't bring up the graphical login when rebooting, you can get to the GUI with "startx" and end the graphical session with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. Cheers!

RezRunner
February 13th, 2010, 08:10 AM
So do you think the hardware is enough to do this?

jken146
February 13th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Yes, you can run GNOME on that. You might consider xubuntu-desktop if you want it to go a little faster. There are lighter options still, such as LXDE.

ikt
February 13th, 2010, 08:52 AM
512 ram and 1.8ghz processor and a 40gig hard drive.

Why not just install ubuntu desktop?

Those specs seem fine.

There's nothing special you can do in ubuntu server that you can't do in ubuntu desktop, besides maybe a few install options at the start.

3rdalbum
February 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Why not just install ubuntu desktop?

+1

Ubuntu Server is literally Ubuntu Desktop, minus the GUI.

Just install the regular Ubuntu Desktop and then use Synaptic Package Manager to install whatever server programs you want. It'll save you time and be easier on you.

Your system specifications are fine for installing Ubuntu Desktop or running a server.

The Cog
February 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM
If it's a server, you will want to uninstall or disable avahi-daemon after installing the desktop or it will slow the server down horribly. With avahi running, every connection to the server takes maybe 5 seconds to respond. For a web server, that's not acceptable.