PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best permissions and owner:group settings for /var/www

ForumCat
February 13th, 2010, 05:05 AM
What are the best permissions and owner:group settings for the /var/www directory? Also, how can I configure the server so that all new files and subdirectories added via Samba or FTP automatically have the proper permissions and owner:group settings?

Currently, I have the permissions for /var/www and all recursive contents set to 775. Is that secure? I wanted the group to have write privileges so my Samba users could write to the Samba share set up for /var/www.

For owner:group, I have /var/www and all recursive contents set to root:web-editors but whenever I add new files via Samba the owner of the new files is the Samba user, not root. Is that a problem?

I just want everything nice and tidy. Please advise.

Thanks,
ForumCat

Barriehie
February 13th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Default permissions are the safest. root:root and 755

Barrie

ForumCat
February 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I understand, but how are my FTP users supposed to upload files if the permissions are 755 and root:root for owner:group? They're obviously not FTP-ing in as the user root, so they wouldn't be able to upload, right?

I set up a www-editors group and put all my ftp users in there that need write privileges, with www-editors as their primary group. So now, when they upload, the default owner:group is [uploader_username]:www-editors. This way all the other www-editor folks have write access to those files, because they're in the same group, so they can delete the files if necessary, overwrite, etc. And I used proftpd.conf to set the default mode of uploaded files to 665 using a umask of 002 since proftpd has a default mode of 666 and the umask is used to alter that (by subtracting from 777) to arrive at the actual default mode for uploaded files. After all, I should never need a file to be executable, right? And if I do, I can use CHMOD to change those few exceptions.

Does this all seem like a sound approach? Please advise.

Thanks,
ForumCat