PDA

View Full Version : Computer science vs Buisness information technology

tkblackbelt
February 13th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hi I want to become a programmer and I'm kind of confused what courses I should take I applied for Business information technology but I'm not sure if i made the right choice here's the course outline for both

Business information technology: http://me.rrc.mb.ca/Catalogue/CourseDescriptions.aspx?ProgCode=BUSGF-DP&RegionCode=WPG

Computer science:http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/ACSAS-index

Which one would be a better choice?

Groucho Marxist
February 13th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Hi I want to become a programmer and I'm kind of confused what courses I should take I applied for Business information technology but I'm not sure if i made the right choice here's the course outline for both

Business information technology: http://me.rrc.mb.ca/Catalogue/CourseDescriptions.aspx?ProgCode=BUSGF-DP&RegionCode=WPG

Computer science:http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/ACSAS-index

Which one would be a better choice?

For programming, I feel that Computer Science would be more to your liking. The Business Information classes have elements that would be appealing as well, but something tells me that it would be more suitable for Windows-based marketing/business majors.

(On a personal note, I'm planning on picking up an Information Technology minor before I'm done with school here in the states.)

tkblackbelt
February 13th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks Groucha do you think it would be a good idea to take the business infotech since I already applied and got accepted and then take the computer science after I finish?

Luke has no name
February 13th, 2010, 06:32 AM
That courseload in BIT is more about basics in IT, a few .NET programming classes, business, and project management courses.

Computer science is more about the theory of computing, language design, logic, automata, data structures, database theory, etc. Much more scientific and theory based.

BIT: More business, management, IT stuff. Less programming skill, less math, etc.
CS: More math, better programming. Less business.

I'm an MIS(BIT) major with a CS minor. I'm getting a job soon making good money doing java programming OR network engineering. I hope it's the latter. Anywho. That's my two cents.

SaintDanBert
February 13th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Today there are all sorts of degrees and programs and names for things.

Which computer oriented tasks do you enjoy doing?
Which skills do you need to accomplish those tasks?
Where can you learn those skills?
Which industries and employers are attractive to you?
Which skills do they desire or require for employment?
Where can you learn those skills?
Which degrees and programs offer the best collection of skills for you?
Which institutions offer those degrees and programs?

Do you really care what they are called? I hold a Master's Degree in "Information and Computer Science". It is old enough that there were no other choices -- Electrical Engineering for hardware and Computer Science for software. However software engineering, systems engineering[b], and [b]project management paid my rent.

Good Luck,
~~~ 0;-Dan

PS/ A recent issue of Communications of the ACM discusses this if you want a thoroughbred academic discussion.

era86
February 13th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Computer science. It is the better choice if you want to be a programmer. Simple answer.

lukeiamyourfather
February 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Computer science. It is the better choice if you want to be a programmer. Simple answer.

Ditto. Sounds like its time to change majors (its never too late!). Cheers!

ve4cib
February 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Gadzooks! Another Winnipegger!

Business IT will basically teach you Java and .NET programming since that's what most businesses do. You'll basically be trained to be a corporate code monkey. Now, if you have your heart set on writing ASPX web applications with MS SQL backends, and some C# WinForms applications then you'll be very happy, and well-prepared for those kinds of environments.

Computer science will teach you all the background behind various types of languages (interpreted/compiled/semi-compiled/JIT-compiled, declarative/object-oriented/functional, etc, etc...), the relative advantages and disadvantages of each, and expose you to a vast array of concepts and languages that have little-to-no use in the "real world" (when was the last time you saw a job application that required knowledge of LISP or Prolog?). You'll be a much more rounded programmer, but you won't have the dedicated focus on business software that the BIT diploma would give you.

It's also worth considering that Red River College is a college, not a university. You get a diploma, not a degree. Some jobs (especially government ones, or anything in any sort of research-related field) will require a university degree, which UofW can give you. A BSc also opens the door to further education, like an MSc or a PhD. Something worth thinking about if you're into the whole academia.

Personally if you're interested in CS I would suggest going to UofM instead of UofW. The program there is really good -- a couple of my friends transferred out of UofW's CS program and into UofM's after a couple of years. And I'm not just saying this because I went to UofM.

UofM does offer some business-oriented courses in third and fourth year. Things like Industrial Project (where you are put into a group and given an actual real-world project to work on -- usually for a school or non-profit organization), Software Engineering (I and II), etc... You could even do a minor in business or management if that was something that interested you. (I have several friends who did exactly that.)

The first two years at UofM are pretty general. First-year is entirely Java (and the textbook is free, online, and located HERE (http://wiki1010.cs.umanitoba.ca/mediawiki/index.php/COMP1010)), with second-year introducing C, C++, and some basic BASH (enough to let you SSH into a Unix machine, use Nano/Vi/Emacs, and run GCC), and more complex data structures. Third and fourth year are where you get to specialize more. You've got AI courses, computational mathematics/analysis of algorithms (Analysis is taught by a freaking math genius, and despite the intense workload it's well-worth the effort), OS design, and a smattering of business-related courses (mentioned above).

Anyway, as a CS graduate (BSc Hon in 2008 from UofM, and going back for an MSc in the fall if all goes according to plan) I highly recommend going for CS. I have a job writing business software in .NET, so I'm walking proof that you can get jobs without the BIT diploma..