PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] can't upgrade from 9.04, my system is "up to date"

spipe
February 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I run three Ubuntu machines - work, home, and a laptop. All were on 9.04, and I was able over the past week to painlessly upgrade the first two to 9.10.

Today I fired up the laptop for the first time in a while and saw that it hadn't had the upgrade yet, so went to the upgrade manager. It had a bunch of package upgrades it wanted to do, so I let it. But there was no option to go to 9.10, not even after catching it up on updates. It just says the system is up to date. Clicking "check" again just gives the same message. It doesn't seem to know that there's a koala out there.

Settings on the update manager say to accept normal releases, so it's not an LTS thing. Yes, it's on 9.04 now according to /etc/apt/sources.list. Network connectivity is good.

What might I be missing that I ought to look for? Go on, tell me it's something obvious.

mhgsys
February 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Actually I recommend a fresh install of a new distribution, for it may save you headaches.

Anyway; the option to upgrade should indeed come up in update manager

Try this in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

snowpine
February 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Easier from the command line:

sudo apt-get update
sudo do-release-upgrade

("dist-upgrade" won't work! :))

mhgsys
February 13th, 2010, 12:10 AM
-read below-
I've f*cked up my post
haha

mhgsys
February 13th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Easier from the command line:

sudo apt-get update
sudo do-release-upgrade

("dist-upgrade" won't work! :))

I was reading about this;

The recommended way to upgrade a Server Edition installation is to use the do-release-upgrade utility. Part of the update-manager-core package, it does not have any graphical dependencies and is installed by default.

Debian based systems can also be upgraded by using apt-get dist-upgrade. However, using do-release-upgrade is recommended because it has the ability to handle system configuration changes sometimes needed between releases.

Your right; I just tried it on my 9.04, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will just upgrade packages and not releases.

sudo do-release-upgrade it will be;

kansasnoob
February 13th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I run three Ubuntu machines - work, home, and a laptop. All were on 9.04, and I was able over the past week to painlessly upgrade the first two to 9.10.

Today I fired up the laptop for the first time in a while and saw that it hadn't had the upgrade yet, so went to the upgrade manager. It had a bunch of package upgrades it wanted to do, so I let it. But there was no option to go to 9.10, not even after catching it up on updates. It just says the system is up to date. Clicking "check" again just gives the same message. It doesn't seem to know that there's a koala out there.

Settings on the update manager say to accept normal releases, so it's not an LTS thing. Yes, it's on 9.04 now according to /etc/apt/sources.list. Network connectivity is good.

What might I be missing that I ought to look for? Go on, tell me it's something obvious.

Look in Synaptic and see if "ubuntu-desktop" is installed. Sometimes modifications remove the "ubuntu-desktop" package and it can hose upgrades.

Or if you prefer the terminal run:

aptitude show ubuntu-desktop|head -4

and see if it's installed.

spipe
February 14th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. It will be Monday before I get another look, but something up there ought to work. :)

spipe
February 15th, 2010, 03:13 PM
ubuntu-desktop was there, so I still don't know why it wasn't detecting the upgrade automatically, but do-release-upgrade did make it detect the koala. It's upgrading now. Thanks for the help, peeps.