PDA

View Full Version : No more Windows in my house.

tremor9111
February 12th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I never thought it would happen but, the whole family is running Ubuntu. The wife (has a laptop) does all the Facebook stuff and catches up on shows she missed while at work.

She was afraid to try Linux but now she really likes it. It has made her laptop much faster too.

The 18 teen year old daughter (desktop) was able to find a virus at least two times a week on the XP machine even with anti virus and anti spyware installed. I got tired of fixing that computer all the time so I installed Ubuntu on that one.

Three weeks and no virus. She likes Linux now too.

A linux family. Pretty cool.

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Being a 16-year-old boy myself, I am pretty used to Linux, and want to use this experience to raise my whole future family around Linux, so that my future kids are used to Linux from the day they get a computer.

crlang13
February 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
No more windows in your house, what if it gets hot and you want to let some air in?!? WHAT A BAD JOKE... sorry;)

I'm the only linux user in my house :(

I've gotten my dad into some open source software, but he doesn't seem interested in making the full switch.

My girlfriend is buying a new computer soon and wants a Mac because of her experience with Vista (and 7 doesn't look much better). She's used Ubuntu on my computer, but seems afraid to make the full switch.

However, most of my friends are on linux. Then again, most of my friends are engineering students so no huge shock there.

AllRadioisDead
February 13th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Being a 16-year-old boy myself, I am pretty used to Linux, and want to use this experience to raise my whole future family around Linux, so that my future kids are used to Linux from the day they get a computer.
What ever happened to choice?

days_of_ruin
February 13th, 2010, 04:34 AM

Kids get to have a choice? When did this happen?

Dr. C
February 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Do you have air conditioning to get rid of the heat from running all those GNU / Linux computers? ;)

BenAshton24
February 13th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Hey son, would you like me to give you a computer that is always breaking and is really boring, or would you like one that works, looks just how you want it and never ceases to inspire? -- Is that really a question that needs asking?

I'm 16 also and I have a family of computer illiterates, but my mother is going to get a laptop soon so I'll be teaching her Linux from the start...

Lesson #1: Installing Arch :)

days_of_ruin
February 13th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Hey son, would you like me to give you a computer that is always breaking and is really boring, or would you like one that works, looks just how you want it and never ceases to inspire? -- Is that really a question that needs asking?

I'm 16 also and I have a family of computer illiterates, but my mother is going to get a laptop soon so I'll be teaching her Linux from the start...

Lesson #1: Installing Arch :)

I hope you are not really going to get her started with one of the least noob-friendly distros.
:lolflag:

witeshark17
February 13th, 2010, 04:52 AM
That's really cool! This house has been windows free for quite a long time now. :popcorn:

BenAshton24
February 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Do you have air conditioning to get rid of the heat from running all those GNU / Linux computers? ;)

I trust that's metaphorical heat you're speaking of?

Coz physically, my comp's Linux temperature could give vanilla ice a run for his money ;)

MooPi
February 13th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I'm jealous because I can't get rid of this freak'n huge gorilla in one of my computers, named Microsoft. Then there are all these people needing help with their gorilla problems as well.UGH................................

sudoer541
February 13th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I will never leave windows cuz I need an app that loads music into my ipod touch.
I dont waste my time with wine and vm cuz there is no point.
but I would be windows free if there was an app to load my music into my ipod touch (hint hint Media monkey) and if webcam worked in ubuntu for my MSN contactz but I bet this will never happen:(

qwerty2009
February 13th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I will never leave windows cuz I need an app that loads music into my ipod touch.
I dont waste my time with wine and vm cuz there is no point.
but I would be windows free if there was an app to load my music into my ipod touch (hint hint Media monkey) and if webcam worked in ubuntu for my MSN contactz but I bet this will never happen:(

have you tried using "Emesene" webcam with users using official "WLM" works! http://www.emesene.org/

futz
February 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM
My girlfriend is buying a new computer soon and wants a Mac because of her experience with Vista (and 7 doesn't look much better).
I hate to admit it, but Win7 is pretty decent. I think MS learned their lesson somewhat after the fiasco that was Vista. :rolleyes: Buddy of mine uses it on all his rigs and he likes it - I build a fair number of boxes for other people and just did one for a gamer guy with Win7, and didn't hate it at all.

All my machines (way too many) run Ubuntu except two XP boxes (accounting and microcontroller programming). I'm even considering buying a Win7 license for one of my many machines so I can play Modern Warfare 2 in all its glory - have to deal with too many problems playing it in Ubuntu.

RiceMonster
February 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
My family all uses Windows. Don't really care.