PDA

View Full Version : A possible application. (HUD)

Woolio1
February 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
So, here's the deal. I was reading a blog, Gizmodo. Yes. Okay then, here's what I found. Apparently, this year, we're getting a pair of Ski Goggles with a built in HUD. Charges and uploads data via USB. Yes. Okay, so, what's stopping us from designing our own HUDs, and using these goggles for a myriad of uses?

Here's the link to the article. Includes video. Yes.
http://gizmodo.com/5470535/transcend-ski-goggles-feature-cyborg-hud

-Ericson

I just now realized... I never once stated what the heck we'd be using to design the custom HUDs blah blah blah....

Well, depending on where we are, and what's available, I say we use The GNU/Linux Kernel!

Sporkman
February 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I remember seeing a commercial from IBM about 10 years ago or so, with a guy wearing a set of eyeglasses with a HUD - he was in a park, saying voice commands to make stock trades (and spazzing out after making them, hence scaring away the pigeons).

I don't know why we don't have those yet - it would open up a world of new uses, like 3d video, 3d UIs, interactive gaming, etc.

The technology exists, doesn't it?

Woolio1
February 12th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I remember seeing a commercial from IBM about 10 years ago or so, with a guy wearing a set of eyeglasses with a HUD - he was in a park, saying voice commands to make stock trades (and spazzing out after making them, hence scaring away the pigeons).

I don't know why we don't have those yet - it would open up a world of new uses, like 3d video, 3d UIs, interactive gaming, etc.

It exists. It's just REALLY expensive to produce, and you still have to carry around the bulky PC belt box thing if you want to get anything done. Once we have smartphones that can render 3D without a hitch, then we'll get this train rolling.

Until then, we have these goggles, and the GNU/Linux kernel.

Lightstar
February 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM

10 years ago sounds about right. I tried them very long ago, when they first came out. The screen is actually at the bottom, just like this video, and when we look down, the screen being so close to the eyes, it feels like a life-size TV. It takes awhile to get used to it, we're not really used to focus at something 1 inch from the eyes. I'm sure some people will get headaches, and those who need normal everyday eye-glasses might need contacts for this.

The ones I used were actually hooked to a VHS back then to watch a movie, but with today's technology, it should be easy to include a 32gb flash memory in there. I'd like the display to be on the transparent glasses though, and not inside a tiny tv. But I guess we're not advanced enough for that yet.

I don't know why that idea didn't evolve until now.

Woolio1
February 12th, 2010, 11:35 PM
10 years ago sounds about right. I tried them very long ago, when they first came out. The screen is actually at the bottom, just like this video, and when we look down, the screen being so close to the eyes, it feels like a life-size TV. It takes awhile to get used to it, we're not really used to focus at something 1 inch from the eyes. I'm sure some people will get headaches, and those who need normal everyday eye-glasses might need contacts for this.

The ones I used were actually hooked to a VHS back then to watch a movie, but with today's technology, it should be easy to include a 32gb flash memory in there. I'd like the display to be on the transparent glasses though, and not inside a tiny tv. But I guess we're not advanced enough for that yet.

I don't know why that idea didn't evolve until now.

Probably because it's just a tiny TV...

However, I have seen glasses with laser projectors that beam an image onto the lenses... But the problem with those is the clunky PC belt box.

gsmanners
February 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM
This is a fun subject, and it raises some interesting questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality

Lightstar
February 13th, 2010, 12:43 AM
This is a fun subject, and it raises some interesting questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality

You might enjoy this video Sixth Sense Technology (http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html)

The guy started with a 2 dollar idea, and now more or less mixes digital and real life together. I love his picture-taking idea.

Woolio1
February 13th, 2010, 02:30 AM
You might enjoy this video Sixth Sense Technology (http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html)

The guy started with a 2 dollar idea, and now more or less mixes digital and real life together. I love his picture-taking idea.

Okay, that was pretty awesome. And what I was getting at with this Ski Goggle. Perhaps I may find the code, since he's an Open Source advocate, and try my hand at crafting some type of device?

Since the Ski Mask already has a mini projector tv thing inside, I just need to wire the box into the projector, make it all head or neck mounted...

I think I may be on to something. Help me develop this idea?