PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics: Here we go again...

BobLand
February 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm trying to view any video on nbcolympics.com. First, I loaded mono into FF 3.6. All I get is the "Load Silverlight" message. Next, I tried various User Agents. Same message.

Booted up VirtualBox with XP and FF. No difference. Then VB with IE 6. Ran the Silverlight plugin but still couldn't get to the video.

Finally, my wife booted XP from her computer. It wants to know what TV provider we have (DirectTV, DishNetwork, Comcast...etc). Then goes thru this absurd identification process which still didn't work.

I think I'm going to pass on the Olympics this year...ugh.

bobland

pwnst*r
February 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Yay for real tv.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM
maybe it has something to do with this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7187027/Polish-newspaper-claims-Pedobear-is-2010-Vancouver-Olympic-mascot.html)?

switch10
February 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Im glad I don't watch the Olympics. No skiing halfpipe?? Skiers go way bigger than snowboarders in the pipe. No going inverted in "FREESTYLE" moguls?? I'll stick with the X-Games on mute, thank you very much.

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
maybe it has something to do with this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7187027/Polish-newspaper-claims-Pedobear-is-2010-Vancouver-Olympic-mascot.html)?

Did you even read this article? The image was a prank:

It appears that the newspaper lifted the picture from Google Images, unaware that it had been created as a prank by Michael Barrick, a Canadian artist and graphic designer.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Did you even read this article? The image was a prank:
http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm.jpg

Dragonbite
February 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I'm trying to view any video on nbcolympics.com. First, I loaded mono into FF 3.6. All I get is the "Load Silverlight" message. Next, I tried various User Agents. Same message.

Booted up VirtualBox with XP and FF. No difference. Then VB with IE 6. Ran the Silverlight plugin but still couldn't get to the video.

Finally, my wife booted XP from her computer. It wants to know what TV provider we have (DirectTV, DishNetwork, Comcast...etc). Then goes thru this absurd identification process which still didn't work.

bobland

Here is a list of known issues with Moonlight/Olympics Player Issues (http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight/OlympicsPlayerIssues). And it looks like preview 2 of Moonlight 3 (http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2010/Feb-11.html) is the version that works.

Otherwise, yeah.. it sounds very annoying that Microsoft technology doesn't even work with Microsoft technology!

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I suspect Microsoft is trying to cripple its open source projects, as does Apple.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I suspect Microsoft is trying to cripple its open source projects, as does Apple.

totally.

anyway, i gotta go remove xp and install reactos, because the only program i ever want to run is notepad.

schauerlich
February 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Uhhh. Citation needed.

Dragonbite
February 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Umm... that doesn't hold water considering the OP couldn't get it to work with Microsoft Windows...

bobland

sydbat
February 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I've never been able to get Moonlight to work...ever. Regardless, I decided to try it again, nice and fresh-like, on my Karmic install. The reason? CTV (Canada) on their Olympic site uses Silverlight for their video content.

I installed the latest 3.0 beta (after the 2.0 stable didn't work) and still nothing. All I get is the embedded mplayer window that does nothing but be blank (with the controls at the bottom). Perhaps I have done something wrong or need to remove mplayer from FF. I dunno. Clicking 'Play' does nothing at all.

It would be nice to have this running, but I won't hold my breath (because I'll turn blue and pass out).

EDIT - And since installing Moonlight 3.0 (I know it's beta), FF likes to crash. Hadn't happened till now.

KiwiNZ
February 12th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Making these asinine and false statements regarding Microsoft and Apple does nothing to help. Please don't.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Making these asinine and false statements regarding Microsoft and Apple does nothing to help. Please don't.

exactly.

Dragonbite
February 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM
making these asinine and false statements regarding microsoft and apple does nothing to help. Please don't.

+1

xpod
February 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM

bobland

This (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/luge/8513595.stm) guy did too, literally.

They have some balls those guys, thats all i can say.
Those down hiller`s too. I`ve done some pretty dangerous things in my time and i`ve also done a bit of skiing but i just couldn`t do what those guys do, not even when i was a bit younger and a bit crazier.

sudoer541
February 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM

bobland

I am able to access and watch with my windows xp box and it works well lol.
you can watch the olympics on your local channels.
I am from Canada and they will put the the opening ceremony on CTV. So if you live in the Buffalo area, you will be able to catch CTV or NBC

sudoer541
February 12th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Yay for real tv.

ya! with an antenna and and a Tv with or w/o an ATSC tuner he will be able to catch couple of good quality local channels. I am able to catch about 25+ channels on Digital ATSC.
btw I get my local Canadian channels + American channels+ American multicast channels+ some french channels from Quebec, Canada. And I dont pay a cent for those channels....and I love the programming.

OMG!!!! I love Digital Over the air TV!!!!!:p

sudoer541
February 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM

+1
people dont need to blame Microsoft and Apple. They need to blame themselves because they know that when there is no demand, there is no supply.

lol just use windows for now like i do!

BobLand
February 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Found the truth. Unbelievable!

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100208/1906288092.shtml

AR_Kozz
February 13th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I am able to access and watch with my windows xp box and it works well lol.
you can watch the olympics on your local channels.
I am from Canada and they will put the the opening ceremony on CTV. So if you live in the Buffalo area, you will be able to catch CTV or NBC

To late to move to Buffalo... and have you seen the nbc broadcast schedule? They are planning to show TWO hockey games. If they had the broadcast rights for Canada, they'd be strung up. The rest of their coverage is the standard figure skating and Bob Costas hero-worshipping Shawn White, Lindsey Vonn and the American flag.

If we wanted to see that, why would we be online in the first place...

I bet all the Microsoft-lovers here weren't around in '08 when they convinced NBC to restrict all the live Beijing streams to an early version of Silverlight. Eventually some enterprising souls (on these forums) worked around it and found they were, in fact, just ordinary windows media streams, and Silverlight was nothing but a frontend needed to access them, besides adding a few bells and whistles.

Maybe nbc heard people found that out, and realized there were people NOT PAYING MICROSOFT for the privilege of watching ad-sponsored online video. I expect that's why NBC isn't streaming this time, except through your cable tv provider, so they can make sure to be paid by the viewer as well as the advertiser. There is nothing wrong with calling Microsoft to account for its dirty, monopolist tricks.

I've taken a quick look at the scripts used in '08, they didn't work, earlier version of python, but I expect it could be worked around again.

Best coverage will probably be Eurosport's, though it's tricky to get.

withaar
February 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I've never been able to get Moonlight to work...ever. Regardless, I decided to try it again, nice and fresh-like, on my Karmic install. The reason? CTV (Canada) on their Olympic site uses Silverlight for their video content.

I got it to work. I had the same problem initially. Here is what I did:

Remove all moonlight/silverlight extensions/addons.

Reload the ctvolympics.ca page and click on a video.

In the video window you will be prompted to install the silverlight plugin.

You are taken to the moonlight/silverlight page. Do NOT click on "Install".

On the right you will read: "Watch the Olympics on Linux with our 3.0 preview" - click on the link in that text.

Install all, restart.

:-)

Dragonbite
February 13th, 2010, 03:38 PM
This is why I have a Windows box at home; compatibility.

I have it running on Windows 7 through Firefox. Unfortunately my internet connection is not the fastest, but since I don't have TV service this is the best I can do for now.

sdowney717
February 13th, 2010, 03:42 PM
silverlight is just another way of MS locking out internet content from Linux.

Why do companies use software like this, they can use flash and it will work for everyone. It is sad.

I did get it to work after letting it download 2 things. It also needs the moonlight codec pack.

Craig73
February 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Why do companies use software like this, they can use flash and it will work for everyone. It is sad.

Silverlight is MS's response to Adobe... quit personalizing it, it has nothing to do with Linux.

coolbrook
February 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Yay for real tv.
Sports aren't the same unless viewed live or in HD. An alternative in Canada is to head for the movie theatres. They're showing live events on the huge screens.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I wonder why Mac users (and Apple...) aren't more vocal about this.

pwnst*r
February 13th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Sports aren't the same unless viewed live or in HD. An alternative in Canada is to head for the movie theatres. They're showing live events on the huge screens.

I am watching in HD on a 54" plasma. Forget watching on computers.

KiwiNZ
February 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I am watching in HD on a 54" plasma. Forget watching on computers.

+1 but mine is 58" :P and in HD

Sport on a small screen just is not worth it .

Gallahhad
February 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Here is a list of known issues with Moonlight/Olympics Player Issues (http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight/OlympicsPlayerIssues). And it looks like preview 2 of Moonlight 3 (http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2010/Feb-11.html) is the version that works.

Otherwise, yeah.. it sounds very annoying that Microsoft technology doesn't even work with Microsoft technology!
Thanks, and yeah, leave it to NBC to do something this stupid.

pwnst*r
February 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
+1 but mine is 58" :P and in HD

Sport on a small screen just is not worth it .

Heck no it's not!

coolbrook
February 13th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I got it to work. Nice. Both versions are crashing on my end. I'll try on my notebook (64-bit)

I am watching in HDWatched my first Super Bowl in HD this year. Last night's opening ceremony was awesome. I'm looking forward to the NBA All-Star (http://www.nba.com/allstar2010/) festivities too.

perspectoff
February 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I am watching the Winter Olympics over NBC's streaming video service using the Moonlight 2.99 plugin for Firefox.

It runs nicely.

NBC requires that you are a cable customer if you want to access their live or recent replay videos. (I am, so I was required to sign in with my cable provider to be eligible to watch the streaming videos).

You may quibble with the restrictions, but kudos must be given to Novell's Moonlight project in bringing Moonlight 2.99 to readiness in time for the Olympics.

The plugin can be downloaded from:

http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/prerelease.aspx

And, duh, you don't watch it on your computer. You buy a cable that runs from the video output of your computer (you have a laptop, right?) to your TV (an HDI cable for newer computers or an S-video cable/audio cord for you dinosaurs) and then watch over your big screen. Only takes a quick trip to your electronics store to find the cables...

We only rarely watch regular TV anymore. It's Hulu or other online content, piped through the TV as described, nearly exclusively.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. If you are watching online TV, you may want to learn about QOS (Quality of Service) filters in your router. You can give priority to certain net services (such as Hulu or NBC streaming) if you don't want to be interrupted by your kids whenever they are playing on the Internet...

(This is critical for VOIP applications, of course).

hissyfut
February 14th, 2010, 02:59 AM
f@#$ nbc and microsoft silversh@t too

>
"One of the things we learned in Beijing is that people really go to the Web for highlights," said Perkins Miller, svp, digital media at NBC
>

either an unbelievable lie or stupidity, take your pic.

baddog144
February 14th, 2010, 03:04 AM

yeah, that really added a lot of the discussion.
Being in Australia, I don't have to deal with NBC, and it's on free-to-air in HD anyhow :D

phrostbyte
February 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2010/Feb-11.html

Mr. Picklesworth
February 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
You can watch the stuff on CTV, too. They ALSO have been convinced to use Silverlight for some reason (I guess it's better than Flash at least), but yeah :)

phrostbyte
February 14th, 2010, 03:13 AM
You can watch the stuff on CTV, too. They ALSO have been convinced to use Silverlight for some reason (I guess it's better than Flash), but yeah :)

The USA site is hosted by Microsoft, it's no coincidence that it uses Silverlight. :neutral:

coolbrook
February 14th, 2010, 03:20 AM
"Novell Moonlight" could not be installed because it is not compatible with your Firefox build type (Linux_x86-gcc3). Please contact the author of this item about the problem.
Moonlight should work on any modern 32bit and 64bit Linux distributions under Firefox 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5.Seems it wants me to downgrade or play with the 3.7 alphas

Edit: I chose 32-bit instead of the 64-bit add-on and it's working now.

Edit Edit: NBC is looking good. CTV looks like an early 90's pc game.

doorknob60
February 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Wow, this is a suprise....it works!! This is the first time Moonlight has done anything useful for me, but it already seems to work better than flash :lolflag:

http://i45.tinypic.com/bjbsp3_th.png (http://i45.tinypic.com/bjbsp3.png)

It was even a straightforward process to get it working.
1. Go to nbcolympics.com and click a video
2. Click "install silverlight"
3. Click "install" on the incorrectly rendered MS.com page
4. After being redirected to moonlight site, clicked "Download 3.0 Preview for Olympics"
5. Restart Firefox and success :D

Good job MS, it at least works now...but I can probably watch everything on TV anyway (have NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, whatever other channels they got)

pwnst*r
February 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM

>
"One of the things we learned in Beijing is that people really go to the Web for highlights," said Perkins Miller, svp, digital media at NBC
>

either an unbelievable lie or stupidity, take your pic.

Actually, the stuff I missed and didn't want to watch in its entirety I watched highlights on the net.

JSeymour
February 14th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I am watching the Winter Olympics over NBC's streaming video service using the Moonlight 2.99 plugin for Firefox.

It runs nicely.
It might have been interesting to try, just for s&gs, if nothing else, but for...

You may quibble with the restrictions, but kudos must be given to Novell's Moonlight project in bringing Moonlight 2.99 to readiness in time for the Olympics.

The plugin can be downloaded from:

http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/prerelease.aspx

You'll have to forgive me for not being aware Moonlight was a Novell project. Never paid much interest to bandwidth-hungry apps until we recently got decent bandwidth. Anyway: Novell and mono?

Not. A. Chance. I'd no more install that stuff than I would Silverlight, itself, were it even available for Linux.

As for NBC: Lord, what a train-wreck.

Jim

Satoru-san
February 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Gold Silver Bronze Total http://www.google.com/images/flags/small/JPN.gif Japan 0 0 0 0

:'(

I guess go USA then ;)

Gold Silver Bronze Total 1. http://www.google.com/images/flags/small/USA.gif United States 1 1 2 4

Frak
February 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Moonlight is much more efficient than Flash is. Besides, Moonlight is Open Source, and Flash is not. Moonlight is backed up by two large, reliable corporations. Flash is by Adobe, and they have shown they don't plan to put much support into it.

For the first part, just be quiet. Microsoft is actually trying to support Linux users. For the latter that I didn't quote, those codecs are required to lessen the impact on your internet connection and their connection.

I wonder why Mac users (and Apple...) aren't more vocal about this.

Because the Mac Silverlight plugin works about as well as the Windows version, amazingly.

Frak
February 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Not. A. Chance. I'd no more install that stuff than I would Silverlight, itself, were it even available for Linux.

I like how people proclaim Open Source is the way, but if it has to do with Microsoft, oh no, it's the spawn of the Devil now.

Let the fanboys use their terrible softwares, and let the wise use the obviously better softwares.

metalf8801
February 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I got it to work. I had the same problem initially. Here is what I did:

Remove all moonlight/silverlight extensions/addons.

Reload the ctvolympics.ca page and click on a video.

In the video window you will be prompted to install the silverlight plugin.

You are taken to the moonlight/silverlight page. Do NOT click on "Install".

On the right you will read: "Watch the Olympics on Linux with our 3.0 preview" - click on the link in that text.

Install all, restart.

:-)

that doesn't seem to work with nbcolympics.com

JSeymour
February 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I like how people proclaim Open Source is the way, but if it has to do with Microsoft, oh no, it's the spawn of the Devil now.

In my view, Microsoft has demonstrated time and again it's interested in one thing and one thing only. That thing is obviously not what's best for its customers, product quality, or being a good partner or a good Internet community neighbour. That thing is market dominance. Period. Microsoft has repeatedly demonstrated it will say or do anything to achieve and maintain that end. So, yes, in my eyes anything even remotely associated with Microsoft is tainted and I'll have no truck with it.

Jim

sertse
February 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I wish you all would talk less about software and more about the actual sport events. :P

I mean, it shows you're at least interesting in what's happening, so we might as well chat about it, since it allowed in Cafe. :)

JSeymour
February 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I wish you all would talk less about software and more about the actual sport events. :P
The OP was about (planned?) software incompatibility, was it not?

I mean, it shows you're at least interesting in what's happening, so we might as well chat about it, since it allowed in Cafe. :)
I'm interested. Been watching some of it on TV. Actually much more interested in the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics, the latter of which pretty much goes by w/o my notice.

Jim

hissyfut
February 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM

you're right! should not judge so much. Some people will use and watch and enjoy. it may be more of nbc and ms getting in the way of the coverage. it is their business of course and people will form their own opinions.

Moonlight is much more efficient than Flash is. Besides, Moonlight is Open Source, and Flash is not. Moonlight is backed up by two large, reliable corporations. Flash is by Adobe, and they have shown they don't plan to put much support into it.

For the first part, just be quiet. Microsoft is actually trying to support Linux users. For the latter that I didn't quote, those codecs are required to lessen the impact on your internet connection and their connection.

open source flash alternative can only be a good thing! it may not be a good idea to trust ms about supporting linux. after all would not moonlight directly conflict with silverlight? there is ms history that points to being non supportive of linux.

Let the fanboys use their terrible softwares, and let the wise use the obviously better softwares.

may be somewhat difficult to believe that ms supports anything open source. could be a letting the cat out of the bag if moonlight becomes/is good.

JSeymour
February 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM
it may not be a good idea to trust ms about supporting linux.
Ya think?

"We are going to cut off their air supply. Everything they're selling, we're going to give away for free." -Paul Maritz, former Microsoft Vice President, referring to NetscapeBut how do you beat somebody that's already giving it away for free? Hmmm... well, maybe...

Blunting OSS attacks
Generally, Microsoft wins by attacking the core weaknesses of OSS projects.
De-commoditize protocols & applications
OSS projects have been able to gain a foothold in many server applications because of the wide utility of highly commoditized, simple protocols. By extending these protocols and developing new protocols, we can deny OSS projects entry into the market.(Excerpt from The Holloween Memos (http://catb.org/%7Eesr/halloween/halloween1.html))

How quickly we forget :( Btw: A protocol is only a "commodity protocol" if it's truly open and unencumbered. Does that describe either Silverlight/Moonlight or Mono?

may be somewhat difficult to believe that ms supports anything open source. could be a letting the cat out of the bag if moonlight becomes/is good.
Not when Microsoft controls the core elements of the methods and protocols upon which Silverlight/Moonlight and Mono are based, which it does.

"The patent danger to Mono comes from patents we know Microsoft has, on libraries which are outside the C# spec and thus not covered by any promise not to sue. In effect, Microsoft has designed in boobytraps for us. “Indeed, every large program implements lots of ideas that are patented. Indeed, there’s no way to avoid this danger. But that’s no reason to put our head inside Microsoft’s jaws.”
–Richard Stallman (http://www.mail-archive.com/foundation-list%40gnome.org/msg02681.html)
The up-shot: Trust Microsoft at your own peril.

Jim

coolbrook
February 14th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Wanna wind your browser?

Go here:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/tv-online-listings/index.html

Yikes

Dragonbite
February 15th, 2010, 12:59 AM
open source flash alternative can only be a good thing! it may not be a good idea to trust ms about supporting linux. after all would not moonlight directly conflict with silverlight? there is ms history that points to being non supportive of linux.

Hmm... maybe MS would want Moonlight to work because
They don't have to do much of anything to develop a system that works on the other OSs; Novell and the community are developing it and this reaches over to Apple too!
Helps to increase the usage of Moonlight which, at this time, is rather pitiful. They need to get Silverlight adopted in more and more places to make it feasable.
MS still benefits because in order to develop Silverlight applications with a development application more on par with Adobe Flash, you need to buy a Microsoft product.

So now, why is Moonlight and Mono against Microsoft's interests?

metalf8801
February 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, this is a suprise....it works!! This is the first time Moonlight has done anything useful for me, but it already seems to work better than flash :lolflag:

http://i45.tinypic.com/bjbsp3_th.png (http://i45.tinypic.com/bjbsp3.png)

It was even a straightforward process to get it working.
1. Go to nbcolympics.com and click a video
2. Click "install silverlight"
3. Click "install" on the incorrectly rendered MS.com page
4. After being redirected to moonlight site, clicked "Download 3.0 Preview for Olympics"
5. Restart Firefox and success :D

Good job MS, it at least works now...but I can probably watch everything on TV anyway (have NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, whatever other channels they got)

What version of Firefox are you using and are you using Ubuntu or Arch?

BobLand
February 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Wanna wind your browser?

Go here:

Tried this with FF 3.0, 3.6, IE6 in Arch, Ubuntu, VB/XP and XP. Get the same error - Error Loading Video. I think it senses a US address and gets stopped.

The problem in this case is not Microsoft but NBC. I guess the summer olympics will probably be worse as NBC will probably think this is a sucessful solution to "pirates (i.e., non TV viewers)"

BTW: Can't get 32 or 64 bit Mono to work in FF3.6 and same results with Chromium.

metalf8801
February 15th, 2010, 11:03 PM
here's a little how to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/moonlight

look at the section Watching the 2010 Whinter Olympics on nbcolympics.com

travmon69
February 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Wanna wind your browser?

Go here:

Tried this with FF 3.0, 3.6, IE6 in Arch, Ubuntu, VB/XP and XP. Get the same error - Error Loading Video. I think it senses a US address and gets stopped.

The problem in this case is not Microsoft but NBC. I guess the summer olympics will probably be worse as NBC will probably think this is a sucessful solution to "pirates (i.e., non TV viewers)"

BTW: Can't get 32 or 64 bit Mono to work in FF3.6 and same results with Chromium.

i am in canada and the olympic player won't work for me either on any ubuntu or firefox! ](*,)

decora
February 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Thank you metalf8801 , I am writing to confirm that what you wrote partially worked for me

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/moonlight

I am running Ubuntu 9.04, on a Pentium 4, firefox 3.0.17

Basically what I did was go to

http://go-mono.com/moonlight/

And on the right hand side it says 'watch the olympics with our 3.0 preview'.

Now the trick thing is... the left hand side has a huge 'install' button. This button installed some other version , but that version does not appear to work with nbcolympics.com. I had to uninstall that version by going into ~/.mozilla/firefox/(profile)/extensions/ and deleting the moonlight and restarting.

Then, instead, I installed the '3.0 preview' by clicking on the right-hand side link that talks about the olympics.

This installs moonlight extension 2.99.02 and silverlight plugin version 3.0.40818.0 . Now when I go to nbcolympics.com, some of the videos work properly.

On the other hand there are a lot of videos that don't work. I dont know why. Maybe my slow connect (3g cellphone modem?) but I dont know.

Another thing that seemed to help was running firefox at higher priority. I did this by going to a terminal window and typing 'nice -18 firefox'.

Cheers and thanks again to metalf8801

Dragonbite
February 17th, 2010, 04:53 AM
here's a little how to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/moonlight

look at the section Watching the 2010 Whinter Olympics on nbcolympics.com

I followed that and it ran fine on my 9.10 installation with whatever Firefox it comes with.

I had to remove my previous attempt, but after I did that and went through the steps it worked.

coolbrook
February 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I'm watching from my Vista partition, and I must admit the actual Silverlight (on CTV) is very slick.

Dragonbite
February 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Agreed, I was watching it on my Windows 7 machine last night and unlike Adobe Flash video there was practically no lag during playback.

hwttdz
February 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
9.10 moonlight alpha 3. Works great on nbcolympics.com. Thanks a bunch for the heads up, I probably never would have figured this out. And cbs full episode player works now. Wow, maybe sometime soon I'll be able to cancel my cable tv.

hissyfut
February 18th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Hmm... maybe MS would want Moonlight to work because
They don't have to do much of anything to develop a system that works on the other OSs; Novell and the community are developing it and this reaches over to Apple too!
Helps to increase the usage of Moonlight which, at this time, is rather pitiful. They need to get Silverlight adopted in more and more places to make it feasable.
MS still benefits because in order to develop Silverlight applications with a development application more on par with Adobe Flash, you need to buy a Microsoft product.

So now, why is Moonlight and Mono against Microsoft's interests?

If using Moonlight then benefits MS, then all that does is lead to a decision to NOT use or support Moonlight. Other short term alternatives like sopcast work fine.

MaindotC
February 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't see any differences in quality, compared to just hosting the video in Flash, but I do notice a huge spike in processor usage. Thanks Microsoft.

sjefenole
February 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Now I finally got it to play on ctvolympics.ca
Had to uninstall my mplayer plugin first. Use the olympic 2.9 version.

But it is incredibly laggy. Is there just something wrong with my firefox? I hear the audio but see one clip every 5 seconds.
I can see youtube just fine.
New 64 bit system in Karmic 64 bit dual core etc.

Dragonbite
February 25th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Now I finally got it to play on ctvolympics.ca
Had to uninstall my mplayer plugin first. Use the olympic 2.9 version.

But it is incredibly laggy. Is there just something wrong with my firefox? I hear the audio but see one clip every 5 seconds.
I can see youtube just fine.
New 64 bit system in Karmic 64 bit dual core etc.

I was just watching some last night and it does seem to me to be not as good as official Silverlight on Windows (7). Unfortunately there are a few other factors that could be causing it too (clock speed difference, ram difference, wireless or wired, etc.), and the only way to test it is to run the Windows XP on the laptop and then Ubuntu.