PDA

View Full Version : what would be an alternative to CNR

tikal26
March 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
ok so after all this CNR stuff. I started wondering if there are alternatives to getting legal codecs or dvd plating software and ran into fluendo they seem to be working on plugin for wma, and a DVD player. maybe that would be another alternative for the members that are on countries were dowloading the codecs as is right now is illegal and same for the dvd playing. I don;t know what other option are there and I really feel that shuting that any option to obtain legal codecs restrict some of us that want to follow the law. I mean I understand if you do not want any proprietary codecs on you computer and applaud you for that, but if you actually use them but just fell like breaking the law that is a different issue.

deadgobby
March 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I think a good alternative if Ubuntu started up there own CNR. Linspire is a cash cow. Granted it is very simple for a new person to use, but Linspire is a big cash cow.

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
20 bucks how is that a cash cow.

tikal26
March 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
yeah, i think that would be nice, but then people would turn against Mark and say that it was his plan all along to eventually turn Ubuntu into a commercial distro and all that stuff. I would like it if the fee for CNR would in part support ubuntu development.

DrFunkenstein
March 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
There isn't even CNR for Ubuntu and you guys are already looking for alternatives.

As far as codecs go, yes, an other company offering them is certainly an alternative and I'm really looking forward to what Fluendo has got cooking.

But CNR isn't just about codecs, but about giving people an easier and more convenient way to manage their software, so being able to buy the codecs from someone else really isn't an alternative for CNR.

Personally, I think gnome-app-install goes is heading in the right direction of giving Ubuntu an easy to use and convenient interface to manage software.

Sirin
March 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
There isn't even CNR for Ubuntu and you guys are already looking for alternatives.

Some people here HATE things that aren't EXACTLY GPL.

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Aren't all these new CNR threads redundant? I noticed several new ones today that have been discussing the exact same issues as the original 2 CNR threads.

tikal26
March 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry if I was reduntand , but I guess what I really want to know is that CNR seems to solve a problem, but many don't agree that is the best solution. I was just trying to figure out what are other option to solve that problem from the people that feel CNR is not the solution.

frodon
March 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I found synaptic great and i don't see how it could be easier to use, really.

Use CNR to get wmv codecs and dvd codecs in the country where it's illegal will be easier with CNR of course, but for the package management synaptic is on the same level than CNR, you will not gain ease of use about package management (except for wmv and dvd codecs in some countries where w32codecs and libdvdcss are illegal) using CNR.

Synaptic has nothing to envy to CNR on the ease of use level.

DrFunkenstein
March 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Synaptic has nothing to envy to CNR on the ease of use level.
Please share this wisdom with the developers of gnome-app-install, I'm sure they will be pleased to know that their work is not needed.

And make sure to also contact the Ubuntu devs in general. After all there is no sense in Ubuntu making an application that isn't needed, much less ship it by default, or waste valuable time discussing how to improve application management in Ubuntu.

Thanks.

frodon
March 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
i don't answer anymore this kind of post.

I you want to discuss i'm ok, but not that way.

DrFunkenstein
March 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
i don't answer anymore this kind of post.

I you want to discuss i'm ok, but not that way.
Ok, then let me put it an other way.
Wouldn't you agree that gnome-app-install shows that the Ubuntu devs also see the need for an easier package management for Ubuntu?

Do you also disagree with their opinion, or do you have an other opinion on gnome-app-install?

frodon
March 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I just meant that the ease of use level of synaptic is really high and in constant increase therefore synaptic has nothing to envy to CNR on the ease of use level, i didn't mean anything more.

By the way, thanks to the developers for this wonderful frontend, i really love it ;)

DrFunkenstein
March 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I just meant that the ease of use level of synaptic is really high and in constant increase therefore synaptic has nothing to envy to CNR on the ease of use level, i didn't mean anything more.

Sorry for being anal about this, but doesn't this automatically mean that you disagree on gnome-app-install?

frodon
March 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM
uh ?

My post mean i disagree on gnome-app-install ?
you mean by gnome-app-install the tool in the application menu of gnome ? I don't use it but i like it too.

So lets go back to the topic, regarding the ease of use level of synaptic do we really need an (other) alternative to CNR ?
If you (people here in general) think so, what improvement would you like to see in synaptic or gnome-app-install ? i think it will interest developers.

DrFunkenstein
March 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM
My post mean i disagree on gnome-app-install ?

I think so, yes. The purpose of gnome-app-install is to make installing software easier than it is with synaptic, so if you say synaptic is easy enough, you also say that gnome-app-install isn't needed.

So lets go back to the topic, regarding the ease of use level of synaptic do we really need an (other) alternative to CNR ?

Though I think that synaptic is a great tool, I'm also convinced that something easier is needed and as I already said, gnome-app-install seems to be a good step in this direction.

If you (people here in general) think so, what improvement would you like to see in synaptic or gnome-app-install ? i think it will interest developers.
Hm, I think some of the descriptions in gnome-app-install are really lacking. For example, if you look at abiword you'll get treated to this first sentence:
"WYSIWYG word processor based on GTK2/GNOME2..."
While you and I know what this means, I'm sure many people don't.

Also something like reviews and user ratings would certainly be nifty, don't you think? Especially for people new to linux this could be very helpful.

aysiu
March 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM
"ease of use" is a vague phrase--perhaps that's what's causing the disagreement here?

CNR offers a couple of things that Synaptic does not--a web-like interface that is familiar to a lot of people (it's similar to Amazon and other online shopping sites) and installation of software not in the repositories (Cedega, for example).

Does that make it "easier" to use? I don't know. But it does make it different and possibly better suited to some users needs.

I happen to love Synaptic Package Manager. I also happen to think both gnome-app-install and CNR have their merits. No one package management interface will suit everyone's needs. Options are always a good thing as long as they're quality options and varied options.

tikal26
March 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I use kubuntu so I use adept and that is still in early development. what I meant by the problem was access to stuff not in the repos. Maybe a beterr option would be a lispire provided repo to use with synaptic or adept, but still I am sure my 48 year old mother would prefer to use CNR. She has a hard time using adept, nerver tried synaptic though.

Bandit
March 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I think it would be a downright kewl idea if Ubuntu offered a CD with Xine and libdvdcss on it. Much like buying WinDVD but at a much cheaper price.
Maybe they could also offer XMMS with the MAD plugin as a bundle on the same CD.
Fully functional version of Xine and XMMS bundled on a CD would rock.
I would be willing to spend $25 USD in a heartbeat just to have it (legally) and support Ubuntu.
Cheers,
Joey

AirIntake
March 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM
What the heck is the difference between the Ubuntu 'Add Applications' program and CNR? In Add Applications, I have a list of pre-approved programs, that all require one-click installation, and their dependencies are taken care of without having to go into synaptic. What would CNR do better?

frodon
March 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I think so, yes. The purpose of gnome-app-install is to make installing software easier than it is with synaptic, so if you say synaptic is easy enough, you also say that gnome-app-install isn't needed.Well i understand now ;)
gnome-app-install is needed and is not a waste of time at all and i really agree with this kind of efforts.
In my personnal case synaptic is all i need, but for sure some users will prefer gnome-app-install which could be certainly improve.

Also something like reviews and user ratings would certainly be nifty, don't you think? Especially for people new to linux this could be very helpful.Ho ! it's a really good idea, this will surely help beginners, but it would need a reliable rating system.
CNR offers a couple of things that Synaptic does not--a web-like interface that is familiar to a lot of people (it's similar to Amazon and other online shopping sites) and installation of software not in the repositories (Cedega, for example).Good point aysiu, i wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have some synaptic - gnome-app-install plugins which would make synaptic fit to your need.

aysiu
March 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM
What the heck is the difference between the Ubuntu 'Add Applications' program and CNR? In Add Applications, I have a list of pre-approved programs, that all require one-click installation, and their dependencies are taken care of without having to go into synaptic. What would CNR do better? I already spelled it out for you--a web-like interface for people who are used to shopping online for stuff and easy installation of things like Limewire, Crossover Office, and Cedega--stuff you cannot install using Add Applications.

Good point aysiu, i wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have some synaptic - gnome-app-install plugins which would make synaptic fit to your need. Synaptic already does suit my needs. In fact, I usually just apt-get stuff. I'm saying that CNR could fit other people's needs, just as gnome-app-install suits some better than Synaptic does.

It's a "to each her own" thing. To me, Synaptic is just fine. That doesn't mean it's fine for everyone.

frodon
March 6th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I have quiet the same point of view.

by the way, sorry i mean "users need" by "your need".
I tought that if synaptic - gnome-app-install got some plugins which change the look of the interface, the way how to use it, maybe everybody (or almost everybody) will get a synaptic - gnome-app-install which fit to his need.
But, for me it's perfect like that.

It's just an idea maybe stupid.

AirIntake
March 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
"I already spelled it out for you--a web-like interface for people who are used to shopping online for stuff and easy installation of things like Limewire, Crossover Office, and Cedega--stuff you cannot install using Add Applications."

There is no technical reason why Add Applications cannot install these things. I don't see why Add Applications cannot just be improved, rather than bringing on an entirely new system.

irish rebel
March 6th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Firstly Linspire is a debian based Version of Linux. Secondly Click and run is a subscription service. If it were made available to ubuntu at
$20 per year you could still use synaptic or apt-get if I understand the poll correctly. I used to use Linspire too slow for my needs but for a windows non tech saavy person it is a good linux alternative to windows .Also note it is not a cash cow as of now I dont believe it has turned a profit yet.It offers an easy way to get free and commercial applications, so for my 2cents worth it is definately worth it.

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
"I already spelled it out for you--a web-like interface for people who are used to shopping online for stuff and easy installation of things like Limewire, Crossover Office, and Cedega--stuff you cannot install using Add Applications."

There is no technical reason why Add Applications cannot install these things. I don't see why Add Applications cannot just be improved, rather than bringing on an entirely new system.

It would have to include a way to pay for those applications. Those apps would have to be repackaged to install using a Ubuntu deb file with all the dependencies included. That stuff cost a lot of money and Ubuntu can't provide those type of services and remain free at the same time. That is why you will need a third party app to accomplish this versus Add Applications.

freedomforme
March 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM
imrove what we have now, support the progress that has been made...

whats the problem with that?

AirIntake
March 6th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Couldn't they add a 'buy this program with paypal(or whatever)' link, which would allow you to purchase the program and then install it? I just don't see a point of having all these different ways to install programs. If Ubuntu is going to spend time and money putting CNR into Ubuntu, why don't they just spend that time and money adding the functionality to Add Applications? Repackaging the apps as .debs would be up to the seller of the software. After all, you are paying them for it.

Bragador
March 6th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Instead, Ubuntu should donate money to support open codecs and promote these open codecs by installing them by default in Ubuntu. Let's just include this the "research" investment Ubuntu makes.

People tend to stick with what's in their system right ? So only those who really really want proprietary alternatives will find and buy these alternatives.

frodon
March 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM
If Ubuntu is going to spend time and money putting CNR into UbuntuBe careful nobody said that !

Kevin made a proposition in his thread which is more an advertisement for linspire than an announcement, that would not mean that ubuntu will support CNR.
There wasn't any official announcement Maybe ubuntu will never do nothing to include CNR .... for the moment nobody knows

KiwiNZ
March 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM
zzzzzzzzz huh another CNR thread I thought we finished with this.