PDA

View Full Version : Netbook remix good for a lounge PC?

Garnett
February 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I've seen a few screenshots of the dektop for Netbook remix and I think it lends itself better to the media PC I want to build than Ubuntu straight up.

The interface looks more helpful on a TV screen across the room.

I think I want to use MythTV possibly and I want to watch catch-up TV, record TV, listen to music, and surf occassionally.

I've read that UNR lends itself to atom processors. I haven't fixed on hardware spec yet, but I'd planned on building a fairly standard PC for about £300

So UNR or Ubuntu straight up, possibly made to look a buit more like UNR?

raymondh
February 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've read that UNR lends itself to atom processors. I haven't fixed on hardware spec yet, but I'd planned on building a fairly standard PC for about £300

So UNR or Ubuntu straight up, possibly made to look a buit more like UNR?

UNR, I believe, is optimized for the screen size (netbook) rather than the processor (atom). You can install regular (or minimal) ubuntu and then add on the UNR interface.

You are right though .... I played around with UNR on my test machine that had a 22-in screen .... it did look nice :)

Raymond

Garnett
February 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM
You can install regular (or minimal) ubuntu and then add on the UNR interface.Thanks Raymond - how would a linux novice go about adding on the UNR interface?

mayorpacmanjones
February 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I think UNR because it really is somewhat of a lounge PC os.

Garnett
February 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I think UNR because it really is somewhat of a lounge PC os.I'm torn really - I'm not sure what functionality I'd lose with UNR and I don't know how it would run with MythTV, but it uses less power doesn't it? -So it'd be better left on all day, if I wanted to record TV.

snowpine
February 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM
UNR is simply Ubuntu with a different user interface. If you like this interface and your computer meets the hardware requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements#Netbook%20alternative%20(Ubuntu %20Netbook%20Remix)), go for UNR! :)

raymondh
February 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks Raymond - how would a linux novice go about adding on the UNR interface?

This was before (tried it in 9.04) ... so a little research may help you to see if this is still valid. Boot into your ubuntu and access a terminal (applications > accessories):

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix

Afterwards, in UNR, I added in the panel the "window-picker" and the "home" applets to complete the look.

I mentioned I tried this before. Maybe Karmic has UNR in the repos already with an updated build. If so, just access it thru your synaptic or software center.

I let go of UNR because I had continuous problems with the window switcher (UNR to regular desktop). Again, this was before and may have been corrected already.

Have fun ubuntu-ing :)

Raymond