PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu 9.10 on USB has only 500MB free space

elreteipos
February 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I used Ubuntu's built-in tool to create a USB drive that boots into Kubuntu with persistence enabled. I said the tool could use 4.5GB of my pendrive, but now that I've booted into it I noticed only have 500MB to work with! How come? How do I fix it?

Cabs21
February 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
did you put swap space on the drive? Did it partition your drive smaller then 4.5 GB? Is it a 4.5 GB drive or a larger drive partitioned into 4.5 GB? Need answers and more info on what you are working with. Also bear in mind that 4.5 GiB is only 4.18 GB.

elreteipos
February 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
All I know is that I used Ubuntu's built-in bootable USB creator, gave it the Kubuntu 9.10 ISO and said it could use 4.5GB to store its data in so that I don't lose my data when I shut down.

When I look at the total size of the hard drive, it says something along the lines of 500MB which is way less than I made room for.

C.S.Cameron
February 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Have a look at the file named casper-rw, it is your persistence file. how big is it?
If you are booting from the pendrive you can find it in filesystem/cdrom

Also the file size limit for FAT32 is four gigs.

elreteipos
February 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
You bring up an interesting point. The drive is in fact a FAT32 filesystem, and the casper-rw file is nowhere to be found.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/3763/filesl.jpg

Would you suggest converting it to NTFS or is that unsupported?

efflandt
February 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
How big is your USB flash or the FAT32 partition? If you tried to set persistent file size larger than 4 GB (FAT32 filesize limit) maybe it did not create any persistent data.

Regular Ubuntu on 2 GB flash usually leaves room for up to 1 GB of persistent data (would fail if slider is all the way to 1.1 GB). But I hear that the Kubuntu iso is larger.

Is that 500 MB you see remaining, a virtual filesystem, ramdisk, or remaining FAT32 space (which would not be used for persistent data, but could be used to store other files accessible to Windows, etc.)

elreteipos
February 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
How big is your USB flash or the FAT32 partition?
About 8GB.

If you tried to set persistent file size larger than 4 GB (FAT32 filesize limit) maybe it did not create any persistent data.
Turns out it didn't. I recreated casper-rw with a size of 3GB and that works fine.
Regular Ubuntu on 2 GB flash usually leaves room for up to 1 GB of persistent data (would fail if slider is all the way to 1.1 GB). But I hear that the Kubuntu iso is larger.

Is that 500 MB you see remaining, a virtual filesystem, ramdisk, or remaining FAT32 space (which would not be used for persistent data, but could be used to store other files accessible to Windows, etc.)
I think that was a ramdisk, considering that I lost my data every time I rebooted.

Is it possible to route around this limitation by formatting my pendrive as NTFS partition or is this unsupported by portable Kubuntu?

C.S.Cameron
February 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I have only been able to get usb-creator and unetbootin to work with FAT filesystems.
You can get more persistence by adding a ext2, ext3, or ext4 partition and naming it casper-rw, (if you want a separate home partition you can add another ext partition and name it home-rw).

This is what worked for me on a 4G flash drive.
Booted Live CD.
Plugged in flash drive.
Started Partition Editor
Created 1 GB FAT32 partition, (on the left side of the bar).
Created a 1.5 GB ext3 partition to the right of this, labeled it "casper-rw".
Created a partition in the remaining space and labeled it "home-rw".
Closed Partition Editor.
Un-mounted and re-mounted flash drive.
Started "Create a live usb startup disk", (usb-creator).
Selected minimum Stored in reserved extra space, (128 MB).
Pressed "Make Startup Disk".
When usb-creator finished, ran "gksu nautilus"
Selected disk and deleted the casper-rw file.
Shutdown, removed CD, rebooted.
Changed desktop background, connected to wireless and installed FontForge as an example.
Rebooted, changes were persistent.