PDA

View Full Version : bloatware on netbooks..

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:53 PM
..is the worst idea ever.

skymera
February 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Bloatware has never been a good idea.

Does this thread have any real purpose?
30 seocnds of my life i've spent reading/writing this.

pwnst*r
February 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
from Smurfs to bloatware.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Bloatware has never been a good idea.

Does this thread have any real purpose?
30 seocnds of my life i've spent reading/writing this.

do most of the threads in this section have any point?

and no one forced you to reply..

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
from Smurfs to bloatware.

smurfs?

SmittyJensen
February 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
do most of the threads in this section have any point?

and no one forced you to reply..
he does have a point.

Techsnap
February 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
You never had to read or write in this thread.

Yeah, The Acer Aspire ones are full of crap. It was running slow as anything, the second I removed the "Wireless Helpers", Norton, PDF readers I've never heard of etc Windows XP was as fast as anything. I just don't know why they include this stuff.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
You never had to read or write in this thread.

Yeah, The Acer Aspire ones are full of crap. It was running slow as anything, the second I removed the "Wireless Helpers", Norton, PDF readers I've never heard of etc Windows XP was as fast as anything. I just don't know why they include this stuff.

yeah, ive just spent the last hour removing the crap from my sisters new netbook -_-

Megrimn
February 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I like to call it "crapware" as stated in this article:

"The Definitive Guide to Making the Most of Your Netbook" (http://lifehacker.com/5446092/the-definitive-guide-to-making-the-most-of-your-netbook)

of course, this article really only applies to windows...

t0p
February 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM

I agree. But it does all depend on what you call "bloat".

All those pesky window managers and GUIs are unnecessary eye-candy rubbish that take up precious CPU cycles or whatever it is they use up. So install a really basic base system that's all CLI and your underpowered netbook will zip and zoom.

It'll make browsing the web a tad less interesting. But if you stick to all-text sites you'll be laughing.

kabloink
February 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM

I agree. Emacs should never be on netbooks.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I agree. Emacs should never be on netbooks.

emacs?

i mean the crap that comes with windows.

xpod
February 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Our girls Netbooks(MSI wind`s)came with Windows and there was a surprising lack of excess crud, even on that. It had the obligatory Norton 30 day(?) trialware and some kind of MS Office free trial but other than that not too much else if i remember correctly. Not sure i`d count the third party wireless app as bloatware but all that trialware junk and Norton, in any way shape or form are just silly on an average Netbook.

Those minor problems were solved on a temporary basis by removing Norton & the MS office trialware and then the rest of the unwanted(by them) software was dealt with a couple of weeks later when i eventually sat down with them and helped get *buntu on the things.
I encouraged them to keep Windows for the time being in case we had any hardware issues within the Warranty period as it would save a wee bit of hassle re-installing it if that time came. The 160G drive was already split 75%/25% so we left Windows on the 40G as was and stuck *buntu on the unused 120G`s.
Full blown Ubuntu installs probably carry more excess requirements to be perfectly honest so as far as our laptops & netbooks are concerned we just stick to our own preferred minimal installs with only the stuff we want.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Our girls Netbooks(MSI wind`s)came with Windows and there was a surprising lack of excess crud, even on that. It had the obligatory Norton 30 day(?) trialware and some kind of MS Office free trial but other than that not too much else if i remember correctly. Not sure i`d count the third party wireless app as bloatware but all that trialware junk and Norton, in any way shape or form are just silly on an average Netbook.

Those minor problems were solved on a temporary basis by removing Norton & the MS office trialware and then the rest of the unwanted(by them) software was dealt with a couple of weeks later when i eventually sat down with them and helped get *buntu on the things.
I encouraged them to keep Windows for the time being in case we had any hardware issues within the Warranty period as it would save a wee bit of hassle re-installing it if that time came. The 160G drive was already split 75%/25% so we left Windows on the 40G as was and stuck *buntu on the unused 120G`s.
Full blown Ubuntu installs probably carry more excess requirements to be perfectly honest so as far as our laptops & netbooks are concerned we just stick to our own preferred minimal installs with only the stuff we want.

this had norton antivirus trial, ms office trial, a whole bunch of samsung programs, a webcam suite trial, some games pack trial, and other random crap.

xpod
February 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
this had norton antivirus trial, ms office trial, a whole bunch of samsung programs, a webcam suite trial, some games pack trial, and other random crap.

Now that you mention it these Netbooks had some Webcam silly effects software too although i dont think these apps were just a trial. There might have been some free games too, besides the Windows games. Dont quote me on that though, i`d need to recheck to be sure.
I`ve had quite a few of other peoples Netbooks through my hands at one point or another and some of the junk they still had popping up on the little things was just ridiculous. It also never ceases to amaze me how many people will still have trialware junk popping up as their computers start even 6, 8, 12 months+ after buying the things.

EDIT: I`ve just been informed(reminded?...ahem) that their machines never in fact had any Norton trial or any AV trial come to that, but did have the games and for some strange reason Uleads disk burning software.
I could have sworn i removed Norton from those things too but it must be someone else`s i`m confused with. I`ve lost count of the times i`ve removed Norton for people.