PDA

View Full Version : I saw three real live beavers tonight!

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM
This is pretty amazing! My wife and I were walking to the store and on the way there is a little creek, the creek was so swollen full we decided to check it out,...and less then 4 feet away what do you know a Beaver!!!....not even afraid of us, then a second Beaver swam by under the bridge we were standing on. As we watched the first two beavers one was happily chewing on a stick quite noisily. Then a third beaver swam by bigger then the first two!!!

Three beavers in one night sighted less then 4 feet away, simply awesome!!!...we watched them for about 30 minutes then went about our business quite happily I might add.

Beavers are wonderful creatures!

lotharmat
February 12th, 2010, 12:03 PM
When I saw the thread title I did wonder!

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
When I saw the thread title I did wonder!
unfortunately we didn't have a camera or camera phone on us, but it was one of those experiences that you had to be there to truly appreciate.

I might go out tomorrow night with my camera around the same time, same place and see if I see them again. :p

gymophett
February 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM
We have quite a few beavers around where I live, but we hardly ever see them. I love watching animals.
Glad you had a nice experience. :D

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM
We have quite a few beavers around where I live, but we hardly ever see them. I love watching animals.
Glad you had a nice experience. :D
I have seen beavers before but never this close, and never where the beavers were moving so slow, kind of moseying. I don't think they were aware we were even there.

It was a magical kind of time, almost like time stopped as we enjoyed watching them.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
lol @ the title

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
lol @ the titlesometimes reality can sound a bit odd. ;)

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
sometimes reality can sound a bit odd. ;)

i dont think you understand.

NightwishFan
February 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I live in Pennsylvania, so I do see a great deal of wildlife. Sometimes you can drive and see a field with 50+ Deer are congregating.
Edit: Please stop being vulgar about the title...

Grenage
February 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
i dont think you understand.

I'm sure he does, but it's a bit obvious and boring to dwell on a no-brain double entendre.

gymophett
February 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I live in Pennsylvania, so I do see a great deal of wildlife. Sometimes you can drive and see a field with 50+ Deer are congregating.

Sounds like here in Louisiana.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm sure he does, but it's a bit obvious and boring to dwell on a no-brain double entendre.

still funny.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM

do they still have beavers in Pennsylvania?

wojox
February 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Cool story. Beaver's are cool, after all there "Mother Nature’s little helpers".

NightwishFan
February 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I see them sometimes, raccoons and groundhogs are more common.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I see them sometimes, raccoons and groundhogs are more common.

I see Acorn Woodpeckers on my bike ride to school all the time.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
slight continuity problem.

My wife and I were walking to the store

I see Acorn Woodpeckers on my bike ride to school all the time

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
slight continuity problem.

Store = a few blocks away, therefore I and/or we walk

School = a few miles away, therefore I and/or we ride bike(s)

"There are no problems, only solutions" :p

NoaHall
February 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM

No, I think he means you have a wife and yet you go to school. I imagine you mean taking your kids, but whatever.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM

that isnt the part with the problem lol.

NightwishFan
February 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Why are you hijacking the thread to question something that is none of your business and you do not understand? T_T

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Why are you hijacking the thread to question something that is none of your business and you do not understand? T_T

um? i saw something that didnt make sense and pointed it out. you have never questioned something that dont understand?

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM
No, I think he means you have a wife and yet you go to school. I imagine you mean taking your kids, but whatever.School = University

some grad-school students are married and older then your average undergrad

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM
School = University

most grad-school students are married and older then your average undergrad

makes sense now ;]

NightwishFan
February 12th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Not when it was someone else's private business. Glad you got your question answered.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Not when it was someone else's private business. Glad you got your question answered.

if you think that was prying into "private business", you must really hate google.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Cool story. Beaver's are cool, after all there "Mother Nature’s little helpers".
...and extraordinary engineers. :p

Grenage
February 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
We don't get any of that malarkey here in England, only trees and mud. I think we've killed and eaten everything that moved. :(

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
We don't get any of that malarkey here in England, only trees and mud. I think we've killed and eaten everything that moved. :(After reading this I couldn't help but laugh out loud as I put my face into my palms.

It is sad, unfortunately though.
:popcorn:

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM
We don't get any of that malarkey here in England, only trees and mud. I think we've killed and eaten everything that moved. :(

didnt they release some beavers back into the wild like a year ago?

Grenage
February 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Yup! They've started trying to reintroduce them; would be nice to get some diversity. The occasional badger or fox spread across the road isn't really photo material.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/beavers-released-back-into-the-wild-1692687.html

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/beavers-released-back-into-the-wild-1692687.html

yeah that.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Yup! They've started trying to reintroduce them; would be nice to get some diversity. The occasional badger or fox spread across the road isn't really photo material.

ewww..

xpod
February 12th, 2010, 02:03 PM

We have a family of Foxes living at the end our our gardens who just love to sunbathe atop the neighbours tacky looking bar & jacuzzi he`s built down there.
Somebody with a bit of patience could catch some absolutely cracking pictures of this particular wildlife in action....they might even catch the Foxes sunbathing too.:p

Grenage
February 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
We have a family of Foxes living at the end our our Gardens who just love to sunbathe atop the neighbours tacky looking bar & jacuzzi he`s built down there.
Somebody with a bit of patience could catch some absolutely cracking pictures of this particular wildlife in action....they might even catch the Foxes sunbathing too.:p

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

audiomick
February 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Great story!
I've seen a couple of beaver dams here, but never managed to see the animals themselves. Where I live at the moment it is fairly heavily populated, so there is not much to see. Lots of squirrels in town, unfortunately also the grey ones that are driving out the native red ones, and occasionally a deer in the forest near town.

In Australia things seem to be recovering a bit. I've seen kangaroos down in the bush along the river, where I didn't see one in my entire childhood.

The closest I've had to the OPs story is having twice seen a platypus in the wild. One time I was out fishing on the river, and one popped up next to the boat, had a look and went again. Amazing really, because they are extremely shy. The other time we were swimming in an irrigation canal and one popped up in there. The last place I would have expected to see a platypus!

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Great story!
I've seen a couple of beaver dams here, but never managed to see the animals themselves. Where I live at the moment it is fairly heavily populated, so there is not much to see. Lots of squirrels in town, unfortunately also the grey ones that are driving out the native red ones, and occasionally a deer in the forest near town.

In Australia things seem to be recovering a bit. I've seen kangaroos down in the bush along the river, where I didn't see one in my entire childhood.

The closest I've had to the OPs story is having twice seen a platypus in the wild. One time I was out fishing on the river, and one popped up next to the boat, had a look and went again. Amazing really, because they are extremely shy. The other time we were swimming in an irrigation canal and one popped up in there. The last place I would have expected to see a platypus!

That is pretty amazing I would love to see a platypus in the wild!

xpod
February 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

Foxes i can do but the beaver/s.........thats mission impossible i`m afraid.[-X

Dragonbite
February 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM
We have some beavers in the pond down the street, or so I have been told.

We also have foxes, coyotes, bobcats, black bears and my wife spotted what she can only believe is a cougar, or mountain lion, in the neighbor's back yard (though the state DEP will vehemnently deny there are ANY in the state, in spite of the other indicators).

And no, we are not out in the "country", we're in a suburb about 5 minutes from one of the states cities.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
We have some beavers in the pond down the street, or so I have been told.

We also have foxes, coyotes, bobcats, black bears and my wife spotted what she can only believe is a cougar, or mountain lion, in the neighbor's back yard (though the state DEP will vehemnently deny there are ANY in the state, in spite of the other indicators).

And no, we are not out in the "country", we're in a suburb about 5 minutes from one of the states cities.I've seen my share of deer, raccoons, possums, skunks, great blue herons in urban downtown environments. Animals are very adaptable creatures.

I love wildlife and love observing animals in their natural habitat, even if these habitats are urban, the beavers we observed in the creek was wedged between two parking lots between two strip shopping centers, most people only drive by and never notice the wildlife perhaps for the beavers it is better that way?

Berk
February 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM

You are not looking hard enough.
Yesterday I saw a Muntjac Deer in the woods behind my college, it was wandering around quite happily before it finally sussed that there was a class of 10 people watching it.
I regularly see various bats when doing emergence surveys, as well as Barn Owls and Tawny Owls.
Badgers can be seen if you're in the right place, or even when you are not, I once saw a pair of Badgers cross the road in front of me at 4am not far from the town centre.
Otters are becoming a more common sight as well these days.

There are plenty of animals to see in England, it is just knowing when and where to go see them, then having the patience to remain still.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I regularly see various bats when doing emergence surveys, as well as Barn Owls and Tawny Owls.

Bats are amazing creatures overall, anything that eats mosquitoes is a friend of mine.:p

Grenage
February 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
You are not looking hard enough.

Most likely. I had to coach a bat out of the bathroom in Devon once; definitely more wildlife there than here in Portsmouth. ;)

sudoer541
February 13th, 2010, 12:00 AM
OMG!!!! this is so cute!!!!!

mips
February 13th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I stroked a wild zebra about a month ago if that counts :D

audiomick
February 13th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I stroked a wild zebra about a month ago if that counts :D
jealuos...

I once saw a hare in the middle of Vienna. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't even in a park.