PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu loads GRUB after dual boot?

thefallofroy
February 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I posted this on ubuntugeek last week, only got one reply:

Me: "I just recently installed Ubuntu, and it worked fine yesterday. Now I try to boot it up today, and after I select Ubuntu from the boot menu, instead of going to the next screen where I can select the "generic" one or whatever, it now goes to GRUB, with a terminal. It says something about TAB to see your options. I press tab, and it gives me a list of commands I can use, one of them being boot. So I assumed boot was what I needed to make it run, but when I typed boot in it gave me an error message saying that there's no kernal selected. Not sure what to do here. Any ideas?"

Reply: "Yes this seems to be a common occurence with a WUBI install. The wubildr file is broken and needs to be replaced. It's located at C:/wubildr This is in Windows of course. Just unzip the one attached then copy and paste into C:/ were the other one is. It'll ask if you want to replace the original one . Say yes. You should be good to go."

Sounds simple enough to me, the only problem is I have no idea what he's talking about. I cant find a zip file anywhere. Anyone know another way to just repair the wubildr file or replace it somehow?

northrup
February 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
He probably meant to attach one (I.e. his own).

Basically, there's a file called wubildr in C:\Ubuntu\Boot (I think...) that contains Wubi's bootloader (grub4dos). If this gets corrupted, the best method is to replace it. In my experience, that usually means reinstalling Wubi.

If this is a regular installation, though, you could try using something called Super GRUB Disk, which basically contains a version of GRUB preinstalled and can either boot your OS or install GRUB, or both.

bcbc
February 12th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Here you go: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Wubi_9.10

bwalle
February 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks bcbc (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=946783) for the patch suggestion. This resolved my problem as well.

thefallofroy
February 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Just tried it, worked wonders! Thanks guys.