PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nearly ready to give up...

DrthTater
February 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I have tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 on 2 separate t42s. I have tried many different HDDs, several CDs from Ubuntu (actual CDs, not something I downloaded) and I am getting no where.

What usually happens, is that it will get to the loading bar (no matter which choice I decide to take, live cd or install) and it will freeze, and sometime, accompanying the freezing, is the capslock light flashing.

Any ideas?

Satoru-san
February 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Do you have a different cd drive you can try?

That would probably be the next thing that I would try, it is NOT the harddrive the live cd doesnt even touch the harddrive.

DrthTater
February 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Do you have a different cd drive you can try?

That would probably be the next thing that I would try, it is NOT the harddrive the live cd doesnt even touch the harddrive.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that I tried two different CD drives.

I have yet to try an external CD drive. That's next on the list...

Satoru-san
February 12th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that I tried two different CD drives.

I have yet to try an external CD drive. That's next on the list...
This post will not contain any help, instead it will contain encouragement.

the worst thing to do right now is give up, I have been in your position before, I am a programmer, I have been ready to give up at times, but the best thing you can do is to step back and take a breathe.

There has to be some reason its not booting.

If you have an other bootable cd/dvd even if its windows see if that will boot
^ ok maybe this post will contain help >_<

DrthTater
February 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM
This post will not contain any help, instead it will contain encouragement.

the worst thing to do right now is give up, I have been in your position before, I am a programmer, I have been ready to give up at times, but the best thing you can do is to step back and take a breathe.

There has to be some reason its not booting.

If you have an other bootable cd/dvd even if its windows see if that will boot
^ ok maybe this post will contain help >_<

On a related note, i was able to do the disk check utility on the ubuntu disc, but no tthe install. Trying the external now.

northrup
February 12th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Rest assured, you're not the only one who has been frustrated beyond measure by any installation. I've had my share of operating system installations gone bad, including attempts at installing Ubuntu.

T42 is a Lenovo ThinkPad, right? I actually have some pretty bad experiences with them, i.e. dead hard drives after 2 months, in the case of my grandma's new Lenovo. And all she did was surf the web and play Scrabble.

DrthTater
February 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I *think* I have it figured out. 1 stick of bad memory.

Looks like I'm looking at 512Mb instead of 1G for the time being...

northrup
February 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM
That would do it. I was working with a Gateway that BSOD'd during Windows XP installation because of defective RAM. Everything working fine now?

Satoru-san
February 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
The livecd has a program called memtest87. Run that, if it has ANY errors, then yes, that is the problem, you will need to get rid of the bad ram.

DrthTater
February 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
The livecd has a program called memtest87. Run that, if it has ANY errors, then yes, that is the problem, you will need to get rid of the bad ram.

That would do it. I was working with a Gateway that BSOD'd during Windows XP installation because of defective RAM. Everything working fine now?

Everything is indeed installing fine now. I took the bad stick out, and everything *seems* to be installing. I'm at 82% now.

Wish me luck.

lisati
February 12th, 2010, 07:06 AM

+1: I've had XP go belly-up with a blue screen of death as well with an apparent loss of RAM; re-inserting a memory module I'd put in myself cured the problem.

Satoru-san
February 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM
everything is indeed installing fine now. I took the bad stick out, and everything *seems* to be installing. I'm at 82% now.

Wish me luck.
がんばってね

northrup
February 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Luck duly wished :)