PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hey check out all this action I got going on with my firewall

Bakerconspiracy
February 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Where should I start? Should I just reformat at this point or what

I know the ssh is fine, but everything else... those connections on the high ports...

Mustard
February 12th, 2010, 04:55 AM
It's a bit early for reformating.

Best to follow all leads out to their logical conclusions first. Everything is not always as it seems, at first glance.

cariboo
February 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Running firestarter as root all the time is a great way to get your system cracked. Firestarter hasn't been updated since 2005, the Debian maintainer only adds bug fixes. I would suggest you use GUFW if you need a gui interface for iptables.

Try:

netstat tnlps

To see what the connections are doing

Mustard
February 12th, 2010, 05:00 AM
My first thought is that they are just connection attempts by computers that were previously connected to you, for example, if you were downloading a torrent earlier, but have now shut down the torrent, your IP might still be 'out there' as a place to go for a torrent, so those computers continue to look for you, despite the torrent being shut down.

There are many reasons why you get these types of hits on a firewall.

2hot6ft2
February 12th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Hard for these old eyes to read all that but it looked like
a few AOL IM - Pidgin (chat)
HTTP - Firefox (web browser)
and SSH

So if you're browsing, chatting on AOL IM with pidgin, and running SSH what is unusual about it?

Bakerconspiracy
February 12th, 2010, 05:39 AM
if you were downloading a torrent earlier, but have now shut down the torrent, your IP might still be 'out there' as a place to go for a torrent,

I don't think this is the case. It has been at least a week since I downloaded a torrent of any kind. The bad news is I moved, and these same connections are showing up at the new house (new IP). My computer used to be a server that hosted a simple website. It was on for the greater part of last year. For some reason I suspect foul play...

I created some new firewall rules using GUFW, and check out what happened (see attached image). Also, I pipped out "netstat tnlps" after I created the rules (see attached document).I looked up the IPs that were making the connections and some people had trouble with them too: http://www.cimsuyu.com/cmn/pubservices/offensive_details.html?id=5268

So if you're browsing, chatting on AOL IM with pidgin, and running SSH what is unusual about it?

Beyond the few http, the aol connections and the ssh, there are a few connections in the higher ranges of ports that I cannot account for.

Thanks for you quick responses guys. I am trying to fix this problem tonight.

k3lt01
February 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Cariboo gave you a briliant suggestion but now I am wondering why do you have two separate firewall GUIs running at the same time. I would think that may be able to open you up to more issues.

Bakerconspiracy
February 12th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Check out one more attachment.

All these samba connections yet I have no other computers connected to my router and that port should not be accessible outside my network.

Cariboo gave you a briliant suggestion but now I am wondering why do you have two separate firewall GUIs running at the same time. I would think that may be able to open you up to more issues.

Good point.

k3lt01
February 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Check out one more attachment.

All these samba connections yet I have no other computers connected to my router and that port should not be accessible outside my network.Can I make a suggestion? Why don't you reboot and see if the connections break.

Good point.I'd be using UFW with GUFW if I were you, as Cariboo said FireStarter is not really supported anymore and can be a weak link.