PDA

View Full Version : Opening brace not expected in Geany in C++?

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I need some help here. I am trying to set a range of numbers to return numbers within - correctly this time.

I have run into plenty of problems:

enccrack.cpp:7: error: a function-definition is not allowed here before ‘{’ token

enccrack.cpp:14: error: a function-definition is not allowed here before ‘{’ token

What exactly does this mean? What should I use to combat this error, because I don't see a reason for it. How can you define a function without braces?

Some Penguin
February 12th, 2010, 04:05 AM
What do those lines actually have?

NovaAesa
February 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Sounds like a syntax error. It's hard to work out precisely what is wrong without seeing the code you are trying to compile.

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 04:28 AM
What do those lines actually have?

This is the block defined by line 7:

int key(int lowerLimit, int upperLimit)
{
lowerLimit = 0x00000000000000000000000000;
upperLimit = 0xffffffffffffffffffffffffff;
return (upperLimit, lowerLimit);
};

And this is the block defined by line 14:

void crack ()
{
key >= lowerLimit;
key <= upperLimit;
return key;
};

Mods, I am only trying to get support on this issue. Don't think I am trying to post this as a conspiracy to crack encryption.

lisati
February 12th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Troubleshooting tip: when a compiler puts out an error message, it usually points out where it noticed the problem. Sometimes the real problem is two or three (or more) lines earlier.

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Troubleshooting tip: when a compiler puts out an error message, it usually points out where it noticed the problem. Sometimes the real problem is two or three (or more) lines earlier.

This is the whole file:

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

int main ()
{
int key (int lowerLimit, int upperLimit)
{
lowerLimit = 0x00000000000000000000000000;
upperLimit = 0xffffffffffffffffffffffffff;
return (upperLimit, lowerLimit);
};

void crack ()
{
key >= lowerLimit;
key <= upperLimit;
return key;
};
return 0;
};

As you can see, it is only 20 lines long. Is it something to do with the main() function? I was thinking this...

lisati
February 12th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I'm more familiar with the general layout of C than C++, but suspect that the compiler might be getting tripped up by having the functions defined within main().

schauerlich
February 12th, 2010, 06:46 AM
This is the whole file:
As you can see, it is only 20 lines long. Is it something to do with the main() function? I was thinking this...

Four things right off the bat:
You're trying to define a function inside of main. The function definitions should be above main, and replaced inside of main with function calls.
There's no semicolon after function definitions.
You're giving a hex value (and an obscenely large one, at that) to an int.
Neither of your functions achieve anything useful, or even follow basic C++ syntax.

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Four things right off the bat:

You're trying to define a function inside of main. The function definitions should be above main, and replaced inside of main with function calls.
There's no semicolon after function definitions.
You're giving a hex value (and an obscenely large one, at that) to an int.
Neither of your functions achieve anything useful, or even follow basic C++ syntax.

Okay, I moved the function definitions to the outside of main.

As for the semicolons after function definitions, I have them after the closing curly brace, which is definitely legal, as I have a "Hello World" program with the same syntax as far as semicolons in function definitions is concerned.

Third: Which operators handle hex values?

Fourth: What this program is supposed to be is a program that uses a listed range of hex codes (notice the "<=" and ">=" values before the lower and upper limits of the range) to crack encryption on certain devices (such as iPhones) and mount them in Linux using the console (and mentioning the block device of the volume after the command, of course). No, it is not intended as a malicious program, either, so Mods, you don't need to worry.

MadCow108
February 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
you don't need operators to handle hex values, hex is just a representation of a number (and its all binary internally anyway, no matter which format you use in your code)
to output in hex format pipe "hex" into your streams
cout << hex << someinteger << endl;

but you should really look at the basics of C/C++ again.
Your code is plain wrong in almost every line.
You can't return tuples in that way. You need define a data structure for that (or use std::pair), there are no <= >= assignment operators in C++ (just comparison)
and your return types are wrong

Also have a look at datatypes. your numbers are far to big to be saved in a 32 bit integer

CptPicard
February 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Consider:

void try_crack(unsigned int key) {
// magic happens here
}

int main() {

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < 0xFFFFFFFF; i++)
try_crack(i);

}

(I'm assuming a 32 bit unsigned int key)

I honestly don't understand how you imagine your code is supposed to work, but that's how one would go about a really naive brute-force enumeration of a (not real) keyspace. Of course, if it worked like that, encryption would be useless.

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Consider:

void try_crack(unsigned int key) {
// magic happens here
}

int main() {

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < 0xFFFFFFFF; i++)
try_crack(i);

}
(I'm assuming a 32 bit unsigned int key)

I honestly don't understand how you imagine your code is supposed to work, but that's how one would go about a really naive brute-force enumeration of a (not real) keyspace. Of course, if it worked like that, encryption would be useless.

The ultimate question: Can C++ handle 128-bit hex values?

TehCodr
February 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
instead of lowerlimit=(enter number here), it should be &lowerlimit, to show you're defining location, not value.

CptPicard
February 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM
The ultimate question: Can C++ handle 128-bit hex values?

Yes, with a suitable long-int implementation. "Hex" is just the base-16 representation of an integer; the underlying integer is always the same, and in machine terms, in bits.

instead of lowerlimit=(enter number here), it should be &lowerlimit, to show you're defining location, not value.

His code is totally wrong nevertheless.