PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing package with dependencies... offline

whats_a_jackalope?
February 12th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to install either ubuntu minimal or server edition onto my laptop, and then download the packages I want via apt.

The problem is there is no wireless support after the initial installation- you have to download the needed packages for WiFi support, preferably from apt-get.

I don't have an extra LAN cord to hook to my router, and I'm currently unable to unplug it and swap cables to begin with (don't ask).

I know I can get the main deb packages from another computer, but how can I be sure I satisfy all the dependencies when I install them. I have no problem with, and already know how to configure WiFi from the cli. I just want some ideas on installing all this, without internet access. Thanks.

mac9416
February 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Check out Keryx (http://keryxproject.org). It acts a lot like Synaptic, except you can carry it on a flash drive to your online machine to download packages, then back to the offline machine to install.

whats_a_jackalope?
February 14th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Whoa this is exactly what I needed!
I was about to hunker down and make some ghetto script lol. This is perfect- thanks a million. :KS