PDA

View Full Version : Darkplaces engine + enemy territory

1111peoy
February 12th, 2010, 02:26 AM
About darkplaces engine

DarkPlaces is a Quake modification I have built over the course of 6 years on and off experimenting, it got somewhat of an overhaul when the Quake engine source code was released, and I began developing a custom OpenGL-only engine for it and other mods, which supports Windows WGL and Linux GLX, and has greatly improved graphics and image quality.

It can not easily be described, as it is simply an improved Quake, not a total conversion (yet, anyway).

The realism of shell casings falling to the floor, much improved bullet impacts, 32bit color alpha blended explosions, blood flying everywhere and sticking to the walls...

Behind the scenes the code has changed a great deal, I was not content with the original QuakeC code, and I have greatly changed the engine while maintaining compatibility with normal quake modifications.

The idea
How about creating a new stand alone ET game? that is based on the darkplaces engine. Better graphics, network interface and it can handle new computers better. You take all the data from current ET, and place it under Darkplaces engine roof. I havent figuerd a way to do this, but I hope someone can help the community by doing this. Also adjust the gameplay feeling so it feels like the current ET.

The Result
Better driver/os support, better graphics and maybe gameplay.. and also better network interface.. A better game experience overall if we can do this, and maybe add additional feature like friendslist.

nw2001
February 12th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I guess I'll be the one to ruin your idea then, First off, you cant just copy the data over, Copyright infringement and all that, Next off, you'd have to pretty much start over from scratch.

This would mean you'd end up doing all of this.
Coding it, Making models for everything, Adjusting it all, and fixing bugs.

None of this is fast.

1111peoy
February 12th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I see. The copyright makes this impossible. There is only one way around this then. Make a mod based on Nexuiz, and then make it a stand alone. OR, make something based on the darkplaces engine. If you can code, no problem, but it will take time. Anyway, I still think it is a good idea to make a classic pure WW2 game like ET based on the Darkplaces engine. And make all the data yourself. Maybe a ET clone, or not. Basicly a pure classic WW2 game/mod based on darkplaces.

1111peoy
February 12th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I have sent a hopeless mail to splashdamage:

Hi,
My name is Ø**** ***** from Norway, nick named peoy. I was a hardcore Enemy Territory player for a long time ago.

Today's computers are too "good" or upgraded that there is a lot of problems with W:ET(lagg, not loading and all kinds of wierd stuff), and that ultimately means that there will be few and few players in the classic Enemy Territory game.

I've played games like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, quite ok game, but boring. Also the new zombie wolfenstein game, boring. Missing good old Enemy Territory!

Ok, to the point.

You should release Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory + all of the data as open source, or GPLv2 license. This makes it possible to have created a new classic pure WW2 enemy territory games for PC, using the Dark Places engine that is based on the Q3 engine.

The Idea:
How about creating a new stand alone ET game? that is based on the darkplaces engine. Better graphics, network interface and it can handle new computers better. You take all the data from current ET, and place it under Darkplaces engine roof. I havent figuerd a way to do this . Also adjust the gameplay feeling so it feels like the current ET.

The Result:
Better driver/os support, better graphics and maybe gameplay.. and also better network interface.. A better game experience overall if we can do this, and maybe add additional feature like friendslist.

The Main POINT:
Have the classic enemy territory look(graphic), feel(gravity, sound) and gameplay. Dont over power the graphics! Still want the classic smooth graphics, but boosted a little.

IF you dont want to release everything under GPLv2, please consider doing all this yourself and listen to the communtiy.

About the darkplaces engine:
-------
DarkPlaces is a Quake modification I have built over the course of 6 years on and off experimenting, it got somewhat of an overhaul when the Quake engine source code was released, and I began developing a custom OpenGL-only engine for it and other mods, which supports Windows WGL and Linux GLX, and has greatly improved graphics and image quality.

It can not easily be described, as it is simply an improved Quake, not a total conversion (yet, anyway).

The realism of shell casings falling to the floor, much improved bullet impacts, 32bit color alpha blended explosions, blood flying everywhere and sticking to the walls...

Behind the scenes the code has changed a great deal, I was not content with the original QuakeC code, and I have greatly changed the engine while maintaining compatibility with normal quake modifications.
-------

Just think of the title "Enemy Territory: Classic"

Also I would like to say, if you guys are in need of any help, I can apply as a game designer.

Sutekh849
August 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM
is this now possible? with regards to the new open sourcing of ET and RTCW?
apologies for slight necro

EMR
October 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Sorry if this is an old thread, but they did exactly what you wanted.

Here it is, from id's ftp site, gpl'd.

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/ET-GPL.zip

Have fun porting it to ubuntu :)