PDA

View Full Version : What wrong w/ Ubuntu?

blur xc
February 12th, 2010, 12:13 AM
IMO, this kind of junk is what is in the way of Ubuntu becoming more popular. And if you are one of those, Linux market share should stay small and be reserved for the computer nerd elitist, may I direct you to Ubuntu Launchpad Bug #1.
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1)
The forums can be great- but sometimes they are not. We are a group, who ask for free help, and in return, offer free help when we can. It's just that sometimes the help is less than complete, and sometimes just wrong. It can just as well be the original poster's fault for not clearly explaining his problem. Sometimes, the OP might just not have the experience or knowledge required to properly explain it...

Here's the thread in question: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1404434

I'm not singling this thread out for any particular reason. This has been on my mind quite a bit since I've started using Ubuntu, and I only choose that thread because it happened today.

First the OP writes:

It took me a couple of years to finally lock up Linux.which leads us to believe he's got a couple of year's worth of Linux experience. To a lot of us, especially the forum community, that means he's computer literate and has some command line skills. Not a good assumption, but it does speak well for Ubuntu being user friendly to the average joe blow computer user.

Then in post #4 we get to-

drop into terminal and sudo rm filename.which probably took a whole of fifteen seconds to write. And somewhat potentially dangerous to the cli ingorant, but we don't know that about this op, do we?

When we get to psot #6 we should be getting an idea of what we are dealing with:

Desktop$ sudo rm LOGO ELLE.jpg
rm: cannot remove `LOGO': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `ELLE.jpg': No such file or directoryIn post #10 we get some nonsensical incorrect jibberish:

Sort of gnome bugs... I'm experiencing them, too :sad: Usually logout/in resolves my problems, you should try launching nautilus from terminal.
Press Alt + F2, type "Terminal" in menu doesn't work, and launch "nautilus"
Try doing what you are used to, then go reading console log :wink: (and post it)but maybe English isn't his native language.

Post #11 tells is more about the OP's CLI knowledge

but it's not until post #12 that someone points out you need to escape spaces in filenames somehow- quotes being the simplest to comprehend.

post #14 reiterates what poster #12 says- just more confusingly (if that's not a word, it should be).

Finally, in post #19, we get some good information.

And in post #20- we are installing another file manager? Why should you need to install another file manger to delete a file?

Yay for poster #21! Finally, 21 posts later we get a good reply. I was feeling pretty sorry for the OP until now!

And I don't know what the F is happening in post #28... looks scary though...

And then his problem goes away...

Not once was the question asked, why or how one jpg on his dekstop could be locking his system...

BM

cariboo
February 12th, 2010, 12:22 AM
The op of the threads question, was how to get rid of the file, not what was wrong with it, so why would someone ask what is wrong with it?