PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO Driver Performance SUCKS!

Unix-Man
February 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Hello!

So today, my HD 2600 PRO got here, I installed it runs AMAZING in windows. Half-Life 2 Lost Coast full graphics. 50-60FPS. Im very pleased with this cards performance.

In Ubuntu, i used the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver. In Hardware Drives.

It runs compiz decent. Terrible with the few games i have.
And HD video CHOKES!

This is very aggravating, Because Ubuntu is my primary OS. I HATE using windows it's strictly for gaming.

This card was built for HD video. And it can hardly handle it at ALL in Ubuntu, Works great in Windows with the Catalyst drivers.

Are there any other drivers that actually access this cards power? Because not being able to play HD video is an absolute embarrassment on the drivers part.

Unix-Man

James M
February 12th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Hello!

So today, my HD 2600 PRO got here, I installed it runs AMAZING in windows. Half-Life 2 Lost Coast full graphics. 50-60FPS. Im very pleased with this cards performance.

In Ubuntu, i used the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver. In Hardware Drives.

It runs compiz decent. Terrible with the few games i have.
And HD video CHOKES!

This is very aggravating, Because Ubuntu is my primary OS. I HATE using windows it's strictly for gaming.

This card was built for HD video. And it can hardly handle it at ALL in Ubuntu, Works great in Windows with the Catalyst drivers.

Are there any other drivers that actually access this cards power? Because not being able to play HD video is an absolute embarrassment on the drivers part.

Unix-Man

Sorry to tell you this, it is most likely unfixable. ATI doesn't support Linux well, or at all really. Why would you watch HD video on Linux anyway? Linux has an asyncronous window server and it causes nasty tear. Movies in linux are just a no.