PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lexmark Z55 driver: anybody got one?

XEyedBear
February 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
This is my first evening with Ubuntu. Installation has been very easy. Now I'm trying to install printer drivers. The search for a PPD for my Lexmark Z55 printer suggested one for the Z53. Sadly it doesn't work. Does anybody have a driver for this old (but still trusty) printer?

I do have an rpm from my OpenSuse installation which has worked perfectly for me for the past couple of years, but I have no idea how to install an rpm in Ubuntu. Where should I start reading?

ajgreeny
February 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Have a look and good read about alien, available in repos. I have never used it, but it must be worth a try.

XEyedBear
February 11th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Have a look and good read about alien, available in repos. I have never used it, but it must be worth a try.

Thanks, I tried it. The process worked on both of the rpms I have for use with OpenSuse, but printing failed with either package installed via dpkg. And the diagnostics failed too, so I cannot get any information on why the printing failed.

NFblaze
February 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Check this message:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-111174.html

They seem to have the source code for the printer drivers

jflaker
February 11th, 2010, 11:36 PM
This is my first evening with Ubuntu. Installation has been very easy. Now I'm trying to install printer drivers. The search for a PPD for my Lexmark Z55 printer suggested one for the Z53. Sadly it doesn't work. Does anybody have a driver for this old (but still trusty) printer?

I do have an rpm from my OpenSuse installation which has worked perfectly for me for the past couple of years, but I have no idea how to install an rpm in Ubuntu. Where should I start reading?

Lexmark is the most Linux UNFRIENDLY hardware manufacturer out there. I have a Lexmark and it is a $90 paperweight.

Go with Brother or HP....those two generally work well under Linux.