PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for application opinion

irish rebel
March 6th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Guys I have been using linux as my desktop since 1998 and specifically my entire household including wife , 4 kids have been using linux for the past 4 years entirely .My kids play games for a while freecraft provided son#1 with his strategy needs but he has moved onto world of warcraft and has acheived some elvish level previously unheard of , I had used wine for a while but a few crashes in the middle of some great battle in which the entire orc nation had attacked him, left me with no choice but to get cedega and the fact that it is available is great . Son#2 plays quake 4 and unreal tournement 2004 and as they have a native version that is great. they both use streamtuner for online radio ect ect.
Girl #1 is almost 5 and plays with gcompris all the time it is a great free program.
My wife uses it for email and shopping so her needs are fine.Myself Ok well I am a linux consultant I work mostly with public school districts in new york and new jersey a server here or there up to last summer, then I started getting actual desktops to do, and surprisingly it wasnt in office desktops it was classroom desktops.1 lab had a computer training lab we put Suse 9.3 on it [ubuntu had hardware issues with dell] I also ended up installing Crossover on them all at $39 per licence it allows them to use some cisco software that they needed.
On my home pc I run ubuntu breezy great os ....I use crossover fopr dvd shrink and itunes as well as photoshop I think it well worth it I also use moneydance at $29.00 a good finance program. I did buy nero but instead I use k3b as I think it better in many ways.
My troll I guess is this what are your feeling on say linspires possable offer to provide a fee based click and run client for ubuntu? also their apparent offer to provide legit multimedia codecs for ubuntu[ i personally feel this is great]
Linux to be successful will need support from mainstream app makers, this is not to imply that free software is poor . If linspire came up with a mplayer based mediaplayer with the codecs ect ect and extra skins and all that . I think that would be worth paying for also lsongs and lphoto I personally feel are the two better apps that linspire have. What do you guys think?

TechSonic
March 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Would be nice.

codejunkie
March 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM
i think the linspire offer is great, people can say what they wan't about linspire, but if another distro with a better rep say suse or redhat, would offer to sell .deb packages with licensed legal codecs and a legal dvd player, very few would have a problem with it. but a lot of hard core linux users seem to have this dislike of linspire like there the windows of the linux world. me i think adding it would be great for people like my wife the average computer user, she would be able to use linux and easily install all the software she wants, but she wouldn't use ubuntu right now because she might have to use the command line to install an individual .deb package.

and don't get me wrong here guys, but synaptic seems overwelming to a new linux user, i've heard it over and over from people with little linux experiance, that there's just too many things to choose from, i don't know what to pick to make anything work, and half the stuff i install doesn't even show up in my menus. this is where linspires click and run service would come in handy. it only shows the user what it need's to, not hunderds of dependencies, just the dvd player, just the cd burner, and you click install and you have a new program installed. and if hard core linux users don't want it they don't have to install it that is what LINUX/FOSS/UBUNTU is about the freedom to choose, again i think it would be great.

Master Shake
March 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
edit: Pointless post

Ultimo Aliento
March 6th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I live in Mexico... upa upa upa

As i know, i have no problem in using any codec, because our idiot politics never work in tech matters, they need first to fight the piracy and that would take them years... dupa dupa dupa.

Then, i see no point in having the CNR application working on my machine, and... even if i could not use codecs, i would not use the CNR... i like linux because is FREE, and not in a capitalistic way... linux is great for that philosophy and if i wanted a polished product ...

For that, i would buy me an Apple computer.