PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Ubuntu because you dont want to buy a Mac?

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Honestly, many users think this way. One of my friends I talked to the other day, simply confessed that since decently powered Macs are a bit expensive he uses Ubuntu because it has a dock, has compiz (cube etc.), and can be completely customised to look like OSX without having to spend much (nothing for that matter).

Hand on your heart, do u use Ubuntu coz you can make it look like a Mac? If thats not the only reason, is it one of the reasons why u use Ubuntu? :)

(Apparently Mac4Lin the theme cum icons package which makes Ubuntu look like a Mac is one of the most popular downloads on gnome-look, so obviously making Ubuntu look like a Mac is a priority for many. As for me, I use ubuntu coz its open source, free, community driven and yes, also coz I can make it look like a Mac :) )

koshatnik
February 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Wow. I buy an OS for the applications. Everything else is fluff.

mamamia88
February 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
macs are nice but i don't think i would ever spend my own money on one.

wmcbrine
February 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
No.

I have a Mac.

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I use linux because it is FOSS, and does what I want it to.

I have NO desire to spend silly sums of money for a completely closed hardware/software ecosystem.

pwnst*r
February 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM

This, which is why I use Windows, OSX, and Ubuntu.

Ubom
February 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I think Mac4Lin has a high download rate because really everyone running Linux and has used Windows will want to just "see" what OS X is like and that is what Mac4Lin advertises to do. I doubt many people stick with it after the initial WOW factor.

lykwydchykyn
February 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I use linux because it is FOSS, and does what I want it to.

I have NO desire to spend silly sums of money for a completely closed hardware/software ecosystem.

I'm in the same situation. I haven't used macs often, but from what I hear from my mac-owning friends the things would drive me batty.

Nothing drives me crazy like software that thinks it knows what I want and tries to do it for me.

Sporkman
February 11th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I buy Macs for my woman to keep her happy.

lykwydchykyn
February 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I think Mac4Lin has a high download rate because really everyone running Linux and has used Windows will want to just "see" what OS X is like and that is what Mac4Lin advertises to do. I doubt many people stick with it after the initial WOW factor.

I think you're probably right. It's kind of fun to pull up a second user account and just see what kind of crazy/artsy/copy-cat desktop you can pull off. Just look at the popularity of the screenshots threads here.

I can't imagine anyone who really wanted a Mac would be happy with a themed Linux install for very long.

SoFl W
February 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM
My first computer was an apple //e. The whole mac thing never caught on with me and I don't understand why someone would get excited about them. I have access to a mac, have edited video (Avid) on a mac and it always drove me crazy using it.

I don't spell Microsoft with a dollar sign, just like linux better. Windows doesn't bother me but using a mac seems awkward.

ve4cib
February 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Short answer: no.

Long answer: I've only very recently started tweaking Gnome to look more Mac-like. But that's only if you assume that having a dock (Gnome-Do/Docky) and a menu on the top panel (Gnome-GlobalMenu panel applet) makes the system look like a Mac.

I use transparent glassy window borders, a transparent, glassy panel background, and the shade/minimize/maximize/close buttons are in the top-right corner and have ^/_/[]/X images instead of coloured circles. There is no way my desktop could ever be mistaken for a Mac desktop, despite the fact that parts of it function in a similar fashion.

aysiu
February 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I have nothing against Macs. I actually like them quite a bit (the interface could be more intuitive, but at least it's pretty, and the animations are smooth, the icons hi-res).

My main thing isn't the cost. It's really more about not wanting that closed-off Apple eco-system. Unless you want to follow some complicated tutorial (and then have your installation break with various updates), you can't install Mac OS X on a non-Apple computer. Unless you jailbreak your iPhone or iPod Touch, you can't use it without iTunes. The selection of useful (for me, anyway) open source software for Mac is limited when compared to Windows and Linux.

I've seen how the Apple eco-system has slowly drawn my wife in, and I don't really want that to happen to me.

Linux has its faults (as does Windows, as does Mac), but when I look at the big picture, it's closest to what I want. I can install it and reinstall it on various computers without having to worry about restrictive license agreements, complicated hacks, or activation keys. I can install a lot of software easily all at once using the package manager instead of having to download and install one by one individual installers (.exe or .dmg).

I like open formats and open standards, even if things are not open source, and I think Linux communities tend to favor those more than Microsoft or Apple does. Google and Opera, although they release proprietary software, seem to also favor open standards and formats. So (again, even though there are faults) I would much rather be in the Google eco-system than the Apple one.

I love the iPhone. I think it's great. But I picked an Android one, because I can actually use it fully (and without constant hacking) with Linux out of the box. That isn't the only advantage Android has over the iPhone, but it's the main one, and I'm willing to sacrifice some of the advantages of the iPhone in order to have that freedom.

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to get a Mac, though. They're lovely-looking machines. I don't dig Apple's restrictions, but I do appreciate their understanding that software and hardware thought out together make a better user experience. Plus, the magnetic power cord is genius.

Stan_1936
February 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
...Hand on your heart, do u use Ubuntu coz you can make it look like a Mac? If thats not the only reason, is it one of the reasons why u use Ubuntu? :)...

No. .......because I don't want to buy a PC.

I've always been scared of Macs.

Icehuck
February 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I buy a mac because it's a Unix environment with none of the headaches that comes with using Linux. I get to come home and just use my computer and not worry about kernel and xorg updates breaking something. Oh wait wrong thread...

Ginsu543
February 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Well, Mac was hardly the first one to have a dock, menus on the top panel, and buttons on the upper left corner of the window border. My first non-Windows machine was an Amiga, and all of those things were available for the Amiga as well. In fact, I'd say that my preference now for such functionalities come from those formative years when I had my Amiga. One thing I do like about Macs is their icons, which is why I use the Mac4Lin icon set (with some Magog White icons mixed in). But as ve4cib said, no one would ever mistake my desktop for a Mac one:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7914/dirtyq.th.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7914/dirtyq.jpg)

cariboo
February 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I currently have 5 Macs, 2 of them have some variant of Linux on them, and the rest are sitting under the workbench. I use a Linux variant, because it does what I need, I also use Windows for the one or two programs that aren't available on my preferred platform.

MacJack
February 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
No, I have a Mac Pro 3.17Ghz. and been running KDE since Mandrake 2002

aysiu
February 11th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Well, Mac was hardly the first one to have a dock, menus on the top panel, and buttons on the upper left corner of the window border. Why does it matter who did what first?

All I care about is who does what well.

Ginsu543
February 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Why does it matter who did what first?

All I care about is who does what well.
I agree. I was just making the point that Mac hasn't cornered the market on those functionalities so that a desktop is not "Mac-like" just because it has them.

Dragonbite
February 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Back in 2002 or so, I was getting tired of my Windows 98 SE machine, but could not afford a shiny, new Mac plus the software to bring it up-to-snuff compared to my Win98 machine.

Meanwhile a friend of mine was talking with me about Linux.

Basically I installed it and now I could care less and less about Apple products.

My iPod Shuffle (square variety) is nice and all, and I'm glad my brother gave it to me for Christmas but otherwise I'm more inclined to work with open source friendly devices.

Once I can get a music player that handles Ogg, then I won't need MP3 support nearly as much! I'd even be willing to re-rip my CD collection!

Ubuntu (Gnome) is nice enough as it is, don't need to make it look like a Mac (or Windows for that matter)!

pwnst*r
February 11th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I buy Mac's to show off to my friends how easy it is for someone to be rich and stupid at the same time.

This is the dumbest thing I've read on these forums all week.

marenum
February 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I have had a few macs over the years and none of them are actually as powerful as my Linux machine, although my Linux box was much less expensive. I use the dock, but outside of that my Linux desktop looks nothing like mac. I like them both, they each have strengths and weaknesses that offset eachother.

Post Monkeh
February 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM
yes

dragos240
February 11th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I use Gentoo. And I don't really care about a mac.

Sporkman
February 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I use Gentoo. And I don't really care about a mac.

You probably have no USE for them. ;)

forrestcupp
February 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Linux and MacOS are polar opposites that shouldn't even be compared like this.

With MacOS, you don't have to do anything; everything is done for you. It's easy and made to be foolproof. Because of this, it's not easily tweakable and customizable. It's beautiful and easy, but you get what you see. Also, it's one of the most proprietary platforms you'll find.

Linux is a lot more hands on and a little less user friendly. If you want to, you can get your hands dirty and make it as complicated as you wish. Because of this, it is easily tweaked and extremely customizable. It can be beautiful and hard to perfect. If you work at it, you can make it whatever you want. Also, it's one of the most open platforms you'll find.

Someone who needs Mac but can't afford it would be much better off using Windows because it will be easy and already set up.

Hman242
February 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM
To be honest, I'm using Ubuntu because it was a last resort. I had always wanted to try it, but I would fear I wouldn't like it or it wouldn't work and I would be stuck with it. One day, I got a really bad virus out of nowhere. I had a copy of Ubuntu Studio 9.10 64bit on CD in case something like that ever happened. I have been loving Ubuntu since I've been using it, and I don't see me going back to Windows or going out and getting a Mac.

piousp
February 11th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Heck NO!!!

aaaantoine
February 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM
As interesting as I find Mac OS X, it won't run on any of my existing computers.

Cost of entry for a Mac is $600, and that excludes keyboard, mouse, and monitor. For that money, I can build a respectable gaming rig, or buy a good all-purpose laptop. So, no, I don't want to buy a Mac.

That is not why I'm using Linux, however. I'm using Linux because I don't need a license key to use it. I'm using Linux because I don't need special hardware to run it. I'm using Linux because of the software that runs on top of it.

NightwishFan
February 11th, 2010, 11:51 PM
My main requirement is a system "based" on open source. I can pick and choose what proprietary addons I want to use, and can easily replace them.

As for a Mac, if I bought one it would be for the hardware, which I would then erase OSX off of. Not that I do not like OSX, it would just be fairly useless to me.

aysiu
February 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I just added a poll.

jflaker
February 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Honestly, many users think this way. One of my friends I talked to the other day, simply confessed that since decently powered Macs are a bit expensive he uses Ubuntu because it has a dock, has compiz (cube etc.), and can be completely customised to look like OSX without having to spend much (nothing for that matter).

Hand on your heart, do u use Ubuntu coz you can make it look like a Mac? If thats not the only reason, is it one of the reasons why u use Ubuntu? :)

(Apparently Mac4Lin the theme cum icons package which makes Ubuntu look like a Mac is one of the most popular downloads on gnome-look, so obviously making Ubuntu look like a Mac is a priority for many. As for me, I use ubuntu coz its open source, free, community driven and yes, also coz I can make it look like a Mac :) )

No, I use Ubuntu because of too many of Windows Vista data-fatal system crashes and because it is FOSS that does what I want it to do, how I want it to do it...

MAC is insanely overpriced and you get the privilege of blowing even more money to get the latest OS. If it was given to me, I would use it, but I would never blow my hard earned money on an OS and hardware that is blighted by DRM and restrictive licensing.

koshatnik
February 12th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Let's keep flogging that dead horse people.

tubezninja
February 12th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Linux and MacOS are polar opposites that shouldn't even be compared like this.

I couldn't disagree more. Without my having "switched" from Windows to a Mac at some point, I very likely never would have considered using Ubuntu or any linux distro beyond strict server use.

With MacOS, you don't have to do anything; everything is done for you. It's easy and made to be foolproof. Because of this, it's not easily tweakable and customizable.

This is common thinking for someone who reads about macs, but rarely actually uses them.

It is true that if you don't want to think about what's going on, a mac will permit this to happen. They have the ability to come off a safe and easy, for computer users who are novices, or simply use them for very basic functions and nothing more.

If you happen to venture past the "safe" space however, and come across the Terminal, and all the other things underneath the "safe" veneer, there's a LOT you can do with a Mac. Python, MySQL, Apache, RoR and a lot of core *nix services and there, pre-installed, ready and waiting to be used, if you choose to use them.

This argument does tend to bring out those who seem to think that you aren't really "using" *nix unless you install or build-compile and configure these services by yourself, from scratch, on a linux device. More power to them. At work, the developers on my team have a saying: if you just want to really look busy, use linux. If you want to avoid fiddling and actually get the job done, use a mac.

And for what it's worth, I now use ubuntu desktops and macs interchangeably. Though I will say there are some tasks that the mac simply does a better job of.

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I just added a poll.

thanks. this discussion is turning out to be quite informative.

the8thstar
February 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM
At some point I was interested in buying an iMac because I thought the design was cool and the marketing gurus of Apple did a good job at pretending that OS X was the best OS in the world. I wanted to share this wonderful feeling of using a MacBook Pro at Starbucks, just to strike a pose. I wanted to join the elite of users of Apple products.

I tried OSX86 for a few months and that made me realize that the whole Mac thing is just full of itself. I found nothing revolutionary about the OS. At least nothing that I couldn't do already with Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

The only things I kept from that experience are the use of AWN for a dock and Global Menu in the top panel, which IMO are good ideas.

My opinion is that Macs are too expensive. And yet for the price they still don't deliver.

On the other hand I have made Ubuntu to look and act the way I want and to me this is worth millions.

So to answer the OP's question, I use Ubuntu because it's a great OS. And I certainly wouldn't buy a Mac.

the8thstar
February 12th, 2010, 01:28 AM
At work, the developers on my team have a saying: if you just want to really look busy, use linux. If you want to avoid fiddling and actually get the job done, use a mac.

That's definitely a matter of opinions!

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 01:51 AM
no offence and i totally respect all ur opinions, the thing is people who are, lets say, ubuntu addicts (thats not a derogatory term) like to show off their OS ornamented with awn and compiz and a mac theme. forgive me if i'm wrong, but in 9/10 (or maybe 10/10) youtube videos on ubuntu, the ubuntu desktop in the video has awn, compiz and a mac theme installed. i have read innumerable comments on such videos where people have commented something like 'is this how ubuntu looks? i'll install it now!' in my opinion, awn has become so much an integral part of the ubuntu experience that we sometimes forget why we started using them in the first place (with all due respect to awn developers). no doubt they make life easy, but they also, resemble a mac. i regrettably have to admit this, but technophiles across the planet somehow consider mac to be the holy grail of OS designs.

ask yourselves this question, had ubuntu been devoid of awn or mac themes, would it still be as awesome as it is now? personally, i would have migrated to kubuntu/kde had ubuntu not had awn. a stylish dock and a theme makes the user experience so much better. we all say that we hate cosmetic changes and stuff, but deep down, we all know that an OS is indeed a lot about looks.

aysiu
February 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never used Awn before. So that's definitely not why I moved to Ubuntu.

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never used Awn before. So that's definitely not why I moved to Ubuntu.

:) i'm not saying i moved to ubuntu because of awn, but had there been no awn, my experience with ubuntu would have been lets say, less cutting-edge. or lets say, maybe i wouldve gotten bored of the ubuntu looks :)

pgp_protector
February 12th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Had the Hardware, need a server for testing.
Didn't really want to use Windows for it.

lisati
February 12th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I installed Ubuntu as an alternative to Windwows, it had nothing to do with MACs

JEDIDIAH
February 12th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I run Ubuntu because I am a long time Linux user.

Macs weren't really an option back when I started using Linux due to their high cost and the fact that they were running pre-OSX versions of MacOS. I've bought mini's for the form factor but have no interest in running MacOS fulltime. By the time I tweaked a Mac to my liking, it would look so much like a Linux box there really wouldn't be much point. Also, I've never had enough trouble with hardware to want to flee to another platform for that reason.

Furthermore, Apple hardware still really loses when it comes to price versus performance and versatility. My main boxes don't really have a Mac equivalent. Replacing them would require spending 3x as much.

Using the Nautilus sftp handler to poke around a mini is mildly interesting.

Using MacOS has made me less inclined to recommend it to n00bs.

jrusso2
February 12th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Just because you can make Linux look like OS X does not make it OS X. It still lacks a lot of what OS X has.

ElSlunko
February 12th, 2010, 02:34 AM
So much for the most people argument. I use Ubuntu because I like Ubuntu. Not because I hate windows or want a mac.

Dragonbite
February 12th, 2010, 05:14 AM
That's why I have a Windows 7 box kicking around now; compatibility and applications.

I buy Macs for my woman to keep her happy.
And when she's happy.. you're happy. So that sounds like a good incentive.

bronquel
February 12th, 2010, 07:00 AM
i switched to Ubuntu to get away from windows... I really don't have a desire to use a Mac... Ubuntu does all i need

That's why I have a Windows 7 box kicking around now; compatibility and applications.

And when she's happy.. you're happy. So that sounds like a good incentive.

a happy wife leads to a happy life!

deer dance
February 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I hate operating systems. They just get in the way. The less of one there is, the better.

That way, it doesn't interupt me from doing what really matters, running applications.

That's why I run #! (http://www.crunchbanglinux.org/)

WinterMadness
February 12th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I use Linux(Mandriva) because thats specifically what I want.

I imagine the Ubuntu users feel the same way.

What does Mac have to do with anything? Just because its Unix and its similar to Linux? I doubt most people wanted Linux because its Unixy, rather that its stable and far more secure.

K.Mandla
February 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hand on your heart, do u use Ubuntu coz you can make it look like a Mac?
No, and to be honest, I resent the question.

Sand & Mercury
February 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
No, and to be honest, I resent the question.
Why is that? It wasn't directed at you specifically.

I have a mac and I am fine with OS X; I find its user interface to be quite good for 90% of the time aside from some jarringly stupid design decisions (particularly re. the Finder) But I do like to tinker with other OSes too -- basically it comes down to what others have said, it's the applications that matter most, everything else is secondary.

Noraphalem
February 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I want FOSS and a non closed hardware/software ecosystem! Freedom for all!

madnessjack
February 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM
If I could choose between Ubuntu and a free OSX experience, I'm very sure which one I'd go for.

No offense guys :P

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
If I could choose between Ubuntu and a free OSX experience, I'm very sure which one I'd go for.

No offense guys :P

very honest opinion, appreciate it. if mac were free and open source even i would be using it. (but aint i already in a way? :P) there's no point hiding the fact that mac does have some seriously cool designs. that many developers are working on creating/replicating that design without losing the 'ubuntu touch' to it, is truly remarkable. just because i'm pro open source doesnt mean that i have to anti mac or anti apple.

Noraphalem
February 12th, 2010, 01:18 PM
IF Mac OS would be free, but it is not. And it won't be in the future so I am not interessted in it.

EDIT: If someone is not interessted in being free he can use Mac OS. Ubuntu is for people who want to be free. ;-)

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM
IF Mac OS would be free, but it is not. And it won't be in the future so I am not interessted in it.

EDIT: If someone is not interessted in being free he can use Mac OS. Ubuntu is for people who want to be free. ;-)

no offence, but where did i mention that i didnt want to use ubuntu/free open source OS?

well the fact is, most of us want our PCs to look good (and currently other than replicating mac there is apparently no way of doing it. people 'into' ubuntu generally have at least some sort of dock installed, there are exceptions i agree). whats the problem in replicating something which eases the use of the OS? ubuntu has forever been criticised for its less than inviting default looks (thats exactly the reason why we find ubuntu remixes by other developers being marketed as a completely different distro with better looks), fortunately that has changed a bit in karmic, but the criticism is still very much valid. if mac like docks are made avaiable and if it makes life easy for users alongwith maximising its visual effects, whats the harm? if docks were made unavailable for ubuntu, i'm pretty sure some, if not many, users would distro hop to kde.

Noraphalem
February 12th, 2010, 01:51 PM
no offence, but where did i mention that i didnt want to use ubuntu/free open source OS?

Ok you misunderstood me.

I don't think you don't want free and open software.

I don't use Mac OS because it is not free and I am not intressted in it in the future because it would never be free.

People who don't care about this unfree hardware/software ecosystem should use Mac OS as they want.

MacJack
February 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have my Kubuntu set up to look and feel as my Mac does, the Windows way does not sit right with me as that's what it is by default.

Seems I'm not alone.

http://pici.se/pictures/small/ujmJLwwPx.png (http://pici.se/p/ujmJLwwPx/?size=fullsize)

lancest
February 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Meeting more and more using Macs lately.
It is tempting for me to buy one.
But I won't because:
I don't want to chance dependency on a closed system.
Apple would never be a complete solution on my machines.
IMHO Ubuntu looks unique OFTB.
The Apple system has been described as elegant and feminine.
(I'm surely not). I want a nuts and bolts OS, keeps my interest.
Just using a mouse is dull!
I feel some kind of purity, and self expression using Linux.

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I have my Kubuntu set up to look and feel as my Mac does, the Windows way does not sit right with me as that's what it is by default.

Seems I'm not alone.

http://pici.se/pictures/small/ujmJLwwPx.png (http://pici.se/p/ujmJLwwPx/?size=fullsize)

looks cool! :) and well noticed.

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I feel some kind of purity, and self expression using Linux.

same for me. i wont quit linux. (unless of course apple decides to go open source :P )

Dragonbite
February 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
well the fact is, most of us want our PCs to look good (and currently other than replicating mac there is apparently no way of doing it. people 'into' ubuntu generally have at least some sort of dock installed, there are exceptions i agree). whats the problem in replicating something which eases the use of the OS? ubuntu has forever been criticised for its less than inviting default looks (thats exactly the reason why we find ubuntu remixes by other developers being marketed as a completely different distro with better looks), fortunately that has changed a bit in karmic, but the criticism is still very much valid. if mac like docks are made avaiable and if it makes life easy for users alongwith maximising its visual effects, whats the harm? if docks were made unavailable for ubuntu, i'm pretty sure some, if not many, users would distro hop to kde.

I'm actually not so keen on the dock, because it takes up too much space on my small-screened (12") laptop.

I agree, that people want to have their computers look pretty. That is a wonderful thing about Linux desktop environments that most non-Linux users I talk to don't understand... just the level of customization that is available is mind-blowing!

I love the idea of with Xfce that I can remove ALL panels! So there is nothing.. nada... zip except the wallpaper when it is clean. Menu pops up with right-mouse click on the desktop and desktops/open applications list shows up with middle click and if you keyboard-bind them then you have all functionality with none of the real estate stolen.

I must be a freak-of-nature, though, because I actually like Ubuntu's themes for the most part. Karmic is actually really good.

ratcheer
February 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Other - Please explain:

I would like to have a Mac, but I cannot afford one. I do not attempt to make Ubuntu look or act like a Mac.

Tim

scouser73
February 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I use Ubuntu because I like Ubuntu, there's no other reason.

lykwydchykyn
February 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM
well the fact is, most of us want our PCs to look good (and currently other than replicating mac there is apparently no way of doing it.

You're right, there's no way to make a computer look good unless it looks exactly like a Mac. Every thing else is just ugly, and if you don't agree you're wrong and smelly.

:rolleyes:

HappyFeet
February 12th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Bingo!

HappyFeet
February 12th, 2010, 09:10 PM
well the fact is, most of us want our PCs to look good (and currently other than replicating mac there is apparently no way of doing it.

Are you for real?

Post Monkeh
February 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

some people are impressed by flashy graphics and cool effects, some think a simple, elegant and functional desktop is beautiful.
not everyone thinks the mac look is the only good look, in fact i'm sure there are many who don't like it at all.

Post Monkeh
February 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
out of curiosity, can you customise the layout of a mac or are you stuck with the default "panel at the top, dock at the bottom" layout?

aysiu
February 12th, 2010, 09:36 PM
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But sometimes a lot of beholders agree that a particular thing is more beautiful than another thing, even if a handful of Linux users happen to disagree with them.

The only people I know who don't think Mac OS X is beautiful are members of the Ubuntu Forums.

Everyone I know in real life thinks Mac OS X is gorgeous, even if they prefer Windows or Linux.

aysiu
February 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM
out of curiosity, can you customise the layout of a mac or are you stuck with the default "panel at the top, dock at the bottom" layout? The panel is stuck at the top, but the dock you can move easily to the right or left, and you can (through a minor hack) get the dock to come down from the top of the screen.

Post Monkeh
February 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
But sometimes a lot of beholders agree that a particular thing is more beautiful than another thing, even if a handful of Linux users happen to disagree with them.

The only people I know who don't think Mac OS X is beautiful are members of the Ubuntu Forums.

Everyone I know in real life thinks Mac OS X is gorgeous, even if they prefer Windows or Linux.

sure, it looks great, but i doubt you'd find too many people who think it's the only thing that looks great

aysiu
February 12th, 2010, 09:44 PM
sure, it looks great, but i doubt you'd find too many people who think it's the only thing that looks great
Oh, yeah, definitely not. A lot of things can look great.

Usually when people say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" it's intended to make it sound as if any given thing is just as beautiful or ugly as anything else.

BrokenKingpin
February 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
The poll results give me hope for the future of the human race.

Post Monkeh
February 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Oh, yeah, definitely not. A lot of things can look great.

Usually when people say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" it's intended to make it sound as if any given thing is just as beautiful or ugly as anything else.

i more meant that just because one person thinks that nothing can be as beautiful as osx doesn't mean everyone does.

personally i think it looks really nice, but the sheer variety of linux desktops means that it's not the best looking os out there, certainly not in every occasion. i'd sum up my feelings by saying that although it obviously looks really nice, i don't think it's marilyn monroe to the other os's marilyn manson

Bachstelze
February 12th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Several answers would apply to me. I bought a Mac this summer but obvioulsy have used Linux since long before that, so my Ubuntu usage obviously has nothing to do with Macs, but I also have Ubuntu installed on my Mac and ther computers...

So no, I don't use Ubuntu just because I don't want or can't afford a Mac. Actualy, the idea of getting a Mac didn't cross my mind until last summer, when it became obvious that my old Asus laptop was too big and bulky for me to conveniently bring to school.

K.Mandla
February 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Why is that? It wasn't directed at you specifically.
I suppose it wasn't so I guess I misinterpreted it. As I read it, the question first suggested a Mac would be my first choice outright, ignoring any other possibility from the start. Sort of a "How many times a week do you beat your wife?" question. In that way, I found it a little offensive, since a Mac of any shape or form is so far down the list it doesn't even register.

But again, I probably misread it from the start. My apologies.

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I suppose it wasn't so I guess I misinterpreted it. As I read it, the question first suggested a Mac would be my first choice outright, ignoring any other possibility from the start. Sort of a "How many times a week do you beat your wife?" question. In that way, I found it a little offensive, since a Mac of any shape or form is so far down the list it doesn't even register.

But again, I probably misread it from the start. My apologies.

apologies accepted. i'm not anti ubuntu and nowhere in the thread have i suggested anything like that. moreover, i cant understand why some people think that one has to hate Mac/Apple to love Ubuntu.

Bachstelze
February 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM
apologies accepted. i'm not anti ubuntu and nowhere in the thread have i suggested anything like that. moreover, i cant understand why some people think that one has to hate Mac/Apple to love Ubuntu.

Linus said it very well: for some people, it's all about exclusion and hatred.

mikewhatever
February 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post

No offense, but this is a silly idea. Besides, you somehow decided to speak for 'most of us', and since I don't remember voting for you as a speaker, it makes the idea even sillier. Please, speak for yourself.

Disclamer: What follows are my personal, subjective and unimportant opinions.;)

As for the liking of OSX, well, what's there to like?
It's as closed and restrictive as closed and restrictive can be.
The default gray-metallic theme is utterly unappealing.
Menus are complicated and cluttered.
And don't get me started on the user friendliness of iTunes. That one program would have been a deal breaker for me.

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
No offense, but this is a silly idea. Besides, you somehow decided to speak for 'most of us', and since I don't remember voting for you as a speaker, it makes the idea even sillier. Please, speak for yourself.

Disclamer: What follows are my personal, subjective and unimportant opinions.;)

As for the liking of OSX, well, what's there to like?
It's as closed and restrictive as closed and restrictive can be.
The default gray-metallic theme is utterly unappealing.
Menus are complicated and cluttered.
And don't get me started on the user friendliness of iTunes. That one program would have been a deal breaker for me.

sorry for the confusion, by us, i meant most people. i didnt specifically mean ubuntuforums members. if u conduct a poll (i think there have been many conducted so far, u can google to check), most pc users think mac has the most attractive interface. that you dont like it is perfectly okay. just as i dont represent all PC users, u dont as well. thats why i stress on the word 'most of us'. no offence of course. :)

cameronedwards
February 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM
For me the reason that I use ubuntu now, is so that I, (and some other people) can make my, computer better. I think that the first step, in making anything better is to start off, with something good. The mac interface is good yonk, the windows vista start menu is good yonk, the ability to create your own complete OS is good yonk, and my sketch version of the Toolbar is good! (at least for me :-D). Now i just have to learn how to program so i can take the my favourite parts of programs and make them better!

I'm guessing that a lot of other Ubuntu users are like that considering the gnome-look stats?

mikewhatever
February 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
sorry for the confusion, by us, i meant most people. i didnt specifically mean ubuntuforums members. if u conduct a poll (i think there have been many conducted so far, u can google to check), most pc users think mac has the most attractive interface. that you dont like it is perfectly okay. just as i dont represent all PC users, u dont as well. thats why i stress on the word 'most of us'. no offence of course. :)

Well, that's exactly the problem. You keep insisting on speaking on behalf the 'most people' without representing them, which, I dare say, you have neither the authority, nor the sufficient knowledge to do. Instead of using the preposterous 'most of us' or 'most of PC users', you could have come down to earth and said 'most people I know', 'all of my friends', 'most people I can think of', etc. Semantics matter, you know.

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Well, that's exactly the problem. You keep insisting on speaking on behalf the 'most people' without representing them, which, I dare say, you have neither the authority, nor the sufficient knowledge to do. Instead of using the preposterous 'most of us' or 'most of PC users', you could have come down to earth and said 'most people I know', 'all of my friends', 'most people I can think of', etc. Semantics matter, you know.

okay cool! so, now 'us' represents most people i know + most people i have met on the internet (minus some ubuntuforums members) + lots and lots of celebrities + Chris Pirillo + Chester Bennignton :P

anyway, why get all heated up about this? this discussion is all in good spirits right? (right?)

anyway before you guys make another misinterpretation of my statements, let me make something clear. i am not here to defend mac. i love ubuntu and i dont hate macs or windows. i like the mac interface, and since ubuntu allows me to replicate the looks of it without having to use mac's closed source apps and insanely expensive OS and hardware, i like ubuntu all the more.

btw, check this link: http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=down&page=0&xcontentmode=15x25x36x39x60x100x101x102x103x120x12 1x130x131x132x133x150x160x165x166x170x171x172x173x 174x175x176x177x178x179x180x185x186x187x188x189x19 0x2010x2020x2030x2040x2050x2060x2070x2080x2090x210 0x2110x2120x2130x6700&PHPSESSID=97f2fa29c60cc1127ed82a2350cfd7e4

gnome-look.org, most downloaded page. apparently the top 2 downloaded artwork on gmonelook (among ALL downloads including icons, themes, etc.) are mac makeover scripts/packs. apparently most people downloading the packs obviously have some sort of liking for macs, otherwise why would they even download such a package? :) hence maybe me, my friends, people i've met on the internet are not the only ones who like the look of macs.

again, no offence. :)

mikewhatever
February 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I should have added some smiley faces to the previous post, because no heating up at all was intended.:D Judging by your findings on gnome-look, I'd consent that many people, including Ubuntu users, apparently like OSX -like interface.
On the same agreeable note, I can say that I don't hate OSX/Mac. It's just not on my wanting list, that's all, and frankly, I fail to comprehend all the buzz around Apple and it's products.

Post Monkeh
February 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
okay cool! so, now 'us' represents most people i know + most people i have met on the internet (minus some ubuntuforums members) + lots and lots of celebrities + Chris Pirillo + Chester Bennignton :P

anyway, why get all heated up about this? this discussion is all in good spirits right? (right?)

anyway before you guys make another misinterpretation of my statements, let me make something clear. i am not here to defend mac. i love ubuntu and i dont hate macs or windows. i like the mac interface, and since ubuntu allows me to replicate the looks of it without having to use mac's closed source apps and insanely expensive OS and hardware, i like ubuntu all the more.

btw, check this link: http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=down&page=0&xcontentmode=15x25x36x39x60x100x101x102x103x120x12 1x130x131x132x133x150x160x165x166x170x171x172x173x 174x175x176x177x178x179x180x185x186x187x188x189x19 0x2010x2020x2030x2040x2050x2060x2070x2080x2090x210 0x2110x2120x2130x6700&PHPSESSID=97f2fa29c60cc1127ed82a2350cfd7e4

gnome-look.org, most downloaded page. apparently the top 2 downloaded artwork on gmonelook (among ALL downloads including icons, themes, etc.) are mac makeover scripts/packs. apparently most people downloading the packs obviously have some sort of liking for macs, otherwise why would they even download such a package? :) hence maybe me, my friends, people i've met on the internet are not the only ones who like the look of macs.

again, no offence. :)

i think people are talking about the fact that according to one of your previous posts, the only way to make a desktop look good is to make it look like a mac.

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM
i think people are talking about the fact that according to one of your previous posts, the only way to make a desktop look good is to make it look like a mac.

yea i think so. i should not have said that. (but deep down, in my opinion at least, i know its brutally true)

Post Monkeh
February 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
yea i think so. i should not have said that. (but deep down, in my opinion at least, i know its brutally true)

in your opinion - that's the important part ;)

personally i've seen loads of desktops i think look better than the default mac look, and loads that don't. i doubt you'd find too many people who are of the opinion that NOTHING except a mac looks good.

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
in your opinion - that's the important part ;)

personally i've seen loads of desktops i think look better than the default mac look, and loads that don't. i doubt you'd find too many people who are of the opinion that NOTHING except a mac looks good.

again, if u stress on the 'in my opinion' bit, i'd have to say that apparently most people visiting gnomelook at least (and the number is not exactly small), more than 2million people (if u check that link) think that replicating a mac is the best way to redesign ubuntu. :)

Ghost|BTFH
February 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Man, your "friends" have issues. I 'buntu because I can make it look like MY OS, not because I can make it look like someone else's failed version of an OS.

And MAC? Good god, don't get me started. If I wanted to spend 1.5x as much money for the same parts, I'd buy my computers at Best Buy.

Cheers,
Ghost|BTFH

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Man, your "friends" have issues. I 'buntu because I can make it look like MY OS, not because I can make it look like someone else's failed version of an OS.

And MAC? Good god, don't get me started. If I wanted to spend 1.5x as much money for the same parts, I'd buy my computers at Best Buy.

Cheers,
Ghost|BTFH

gnome look link. 2 million people downloading the mac package which happens to be the most popular download. apparently 2 million people have 'issues' and not all of them are my friends :P

when did i say i wanted to buy a mac? i hate apple's closed source attitude about everything, and i also hate the fact that macs are insanely priced. i doubt if i would ever buy a mac.

Berk
February 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
i dont hate macs or windows

when did i say i wanted to buy a mac? i hate apple's closed source attitude about everything, and i also hate the fact that macs are insanely priced. i doubt if i would ever buy a mac.

Orly? ;)

Anyway, to be on topic, I use Ubuntu because I don't like to use Windows. I suppose in the very broadest sense of the question, I do use Ubuntu because I don't want to buy a Mac. That is, I have no interest in buying a Mac at this time and I use Ubuntu. ;)

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Orly? ;)

Anyway, to be on topic, I use Ubuntu because I don't like to use Windows. I suppose in the very broadest sense of the question, I do use Ubuntu because I don't want to buy a Mac. That is, I have no interest in buying a Mac at this time and I use Ubuntu. ;)

i subconsciously knew someone would point this out! :)

look, i dont hate macs. that means i dont hate macs.
now, i hate apple's closed source attitude. that means i hate apple's closed source attitude. thats exactly why i wouldnt want to buy a mac.

i love OSX's looks and so do a lot of people (gnome look link i have already provided). but i dont want to use apple's closed source softwares. hence i wouldnt buy a mac. and hence i would configure my ubuntu to look like a mac. :) got it? ;)

mikewhatever
February 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM
gnome look link. 2 million people downloading the mac package which happens to be the most popular download. apparently 2 million people have 'issues' and not all of them are my friends :P

Downloading a theme doesn't mean installing it, let alone using. I would have assumed everyone understood it.:) Is it not reasonable to assume that people might come to gnome-look to experiment a little?
Furthermore, the most downloaded themes are not the highest rated, by far. Do you think it might be possible that many people downloaded OSX themes to try out, and rated them lower then other themes because they didn't like them?

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
...Furthermore, the most downloaded themes are not the highest rated, by far. Do you think it might be possible that many people downloaded OSX themes to try out, and rated them lower then other themes because they didn't like them?

perfectly possible. :)

but thats because they thought the theme/icons package did not meet their expectations and not because they didnt want Mac themes/the Mac look (otherwise they wouldnt have downloaded a theme titled Mac OSX Aqua Theme or OS X 3.3 icons theme). :)

juancarlospaco
February 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Because i can.

I make Ubuntu looks like OSX because i can.
I make Ubuntu looks like Windows OS because i can.
I make Ubuntu looks like * OS because i can.

But, yes, Grey GUI of OSX is boring.

mikewhatever
February 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
double post

mikewhatever
February 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
perfectly possible. :)

but thats because they thought the theme/icons package did not meet their expectations and not because they didnt want Mac themes/the Mac look (otherwise they wouldnt have downloaded a theme titled Mac OSX Aqua Theme or OS X 3.3 icons theme). :)

Well, how do you know that? I remember downloading a few themes out of curiosity, by never ended up using them. I think many people might have downloaded an OSX theme to see what it looks and feels like, and not because they wanted or liked a permanent OSX look. It seems that you assume too much by looking at the download numbers and trying to justify your opinions, which are perfectly sound as is. OSX theme is popular, that's a fact, but it doesn't mean many use or even prefer it.

Because i can.

I make Ubuntu looks like OSX because i can.
I make Ubuntu looks like Windows OS because i can.
I make Ubuntu looks like * OS because i can.

But, yes, Grey GUI of OSX is boring.

Hope they don't let you near emergency exits on a plane.:)

Dragonbite
February 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM
You want proof that it doesn't have to look like a Mac to look good?

Check out the Fantastic February Screenshot Thread 2010 (http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8816682) or any other screenshot thread in this and the other distribution's forums!

While some of them are trying to look like a Mac, some are not and they look pretty darn cool!

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM
You want proof that it doesn't have to look like a Mac to look good?

Check out the Fantastic February Screenshot Thread 2010 (http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8816682) or any other screenshot thread in this and the other distribution's forums!

While some of them are trying to look like a Mac, some are not and they look pretty darn cool!

+1 yeah some do look cool i have to admit.

bruno9779
February 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
A mac computer is at the bottom of my wishlist.

Ubuntu is the complete opposite of Mac.
Just because the interface is kinda similar and because of the *nix similarities, I don't think that the user experience is comparable.

The most open SW and HW environement do not have anything in common with the most closed one.

PS: If someone gifted me a mac, I would sell it right away and buy with the same money a netbook for me, a desktop for my wife and I would still have some change left

murphykieran
February 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
yea i think so. i should not have said that. (but deep down, in my opinion at least, i know its brutally true)In your opinion, you know it's true? That doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I think that one of the reasons people are coming down on you is that you seem to genuinely believe that most people are using Ubuntu because they secretly yearn to use OSX and are using the next best thing for some reason, but just don't want to admit it. Even asking people to give their views with their "hand on heart" implies that you believe people will lie about why they use Linux because they're secretly ashamed to admit they really want a Mac but can't afford one or don't want to buy one. And when one person agree with you, you praised them for giving an "honest opinion" as if others were being dishonest by not agreeing with you.

In any discussion I've ever come across about why people use Linux, I've rarely if ever heard anyone say they use Linux because they really want a Maclike experience without buying a Mac. If most people you've talked to about Linux give that as their reason then your friends and acquaintances are not typical of Linux users.

As for myself, does OSX look pretty? Yes.

Do I care? No.

I changed the theme away from the ugly ugly brown Ubuntu default but I've no urge to make it look OSX and when I decided originally, about 2 years ago, so install Ubuntu, Apple and their computers had absolutely nothing to do with it.

oldsoundguy
February 13th, 2010, 06:05 PM
What an operating system LOOKS like is for kids who want to impress their friends.
The important thing is, "does it work?", and for me, Ubuntu does just that.
I seldom see my desktop except to process a download file as I always have a bunch of applications OPEN and am using them.

I care NOT about fancy schmancy kiddie toys and displays. Just make it work solidly, and Ubuntu on desktops does just that for me. (Ubuntu or Ubuntu based on 5 machines in this place.)

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
In your opinion, you know it's true? That doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I think that one of the reasons people are coming down on you is that you seem to genuinely believe that most people are using Ubuntu because they secretly yearn to use OSX and are using the next best thing for some reason, but just don't want to admit it. Even asking people to give their views with their "hand on heart" implies that you believe people will lie about why they use Linux because they're secretly ashamed to admit they really want a Mac but can't afford one or don't want to buy one. And when one person agree with you, you praised them for giving an "honest opinion" as if others were being dishonest by not agreeing with you.

In any discussion I've ever come across about why people use Linux, I've rarely if ever heard anyone say they use Linux because they really want a Maclike experience without buying a Mac. If most people you've talked to about Linux give that as their reason then your friends and acquaintances are not typical of Linux users.

As for myself, does OSX look pretty? Yes.

Do I care? No.

I changed the theme away from the ugly ugly brown Ubuntu default but I've no urge to make it look OSX and when I decided originally, about 2 years ago, so install Ubuntu, Apple and their computers had absolutely nothing to do with it.

and thats your opinion.

cool. everyone has the right to express theirs. :)

(btw, i wonder how many users use awn and compiz, since apparently some users think looks dont matter)

bruno9779
February 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM
installing Ubuntu because it is a cheap way to get a Mac-looking desktop is absolutely delusional.

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
installing Ubuntu because it is a cheap way to get a Mac-looking desktop is absolutely delusional.

i am assuming the comment was directed at me. thank you for ur kind comment.

but if u go through my very first post on this topic i never said that is the only reason people use ubuntu. i will quote that line for u which i said: " Hand on your heart, do u use Ubuntu coz you can make it look like a Mac? If thats not the only reason, is it one of the reasons why u use Ubuntu? "

now even if u use a dock, ur replicating the Mac experience (or the Mac look rather). docks are typical of Mac and many users using Ubuntu use docks (since Mac are the only reason docks became popular in the first place). i hear some other OSes used to have docks, but it was Mac which really made docks the way we perceive it today.

btw, lets cool down. its a discussion, so lets just keep it that way. you may not agree with me and thats perfectly okay. but we all can agree to agree/disagree. right? :)

audiomick
February 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I might buy a mac if I had lots of money to spare, but I can't afford one, and I don't particularly like apple's "buy it all from us" marketing.

I don't use Ubuntu as a substitute for a mac; my needs for work would dictate a windows machine as the sensible choice, and I have a vista laptop for that.

I use Ubuntu on the desktop at home because I don't like the idea of one company having a monopoly on and therefore control over the worlds desktop computing needs. Apart from that, I like the way Ubuntu works much more than the way windows works. I think the macs have gotten to have a bit too much whizz bang for my liking.

Post Monkeh
February 14th, 2010, 12:12 AM
again, if u stress on the 'in my opinion' bit, i'd have to say that apparently most people visiting gnomelook at least (and the number is not exactly small), more than 2million people (if u check that link) think that replicating a mac is the best way to redesign ubuntu. :)

even if you assume the people who are downloading the themes aren't just doing so to try it out, it's a hell of an assumption to think that just because they download an osx theme they don't think any other layout looks good.

shrimpy89
February 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM

Agreed. I did the same thing when I was first starting out with Linux. I had fun messing with people's heads when they saw "OS X" running on an HP, but after a couple days it got old. In my opinion, with so much potential for customization, why emulate something that offers you little to none?

bapoumba
February 16th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I have removed 3 posts, 1 original and 2 quoting/answering.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 01:05 AM
We have 3 Mac's in the household (amongst other types of computers), my daughter who lives elsewhere also has one.

For 10 years we haven't run any form of security software on a Mac (the IPCop/Privoxy/CamAV box has been running headless for around a year or so though).

You don't have to be interested in computers or technically minded to install & remove software & peripherals (I'm sure that there are exceptions to that statement though).

When my wife was running windows on her desktop box, I had to administer to her machine, be it hardware, peripheral, security, installation/removal/upgrades of software, backup, you name it.

In over 3 years since She has been using the iMac, on her desktop, I have very rarely had to do anything. She finds it easy to sort it out for herself.

If she was using a distro, I would be even more busy working on her machine than if she was on windows. (She can't use Linux anyway, because it doesn't have the software that She needs for her business.)

I NEVER, hear from my daughter about computer problems. When she was running windows I did have to fix things for her.

My iMac does a lot of work, the only problems it has had hardware wise was an optical drive that was noisy & replaced under warranty, & the audio out plug has failed, outside of warranty (I may have been too rough on it, easy to do when you can't see what you are doing?)

Like many people here, I don't like some of Apple's policies, a LOT. Though I think that many people fail to see that they are a comparatively tiny & benign corporation when compared to some of the companies that are making the chips that are used inside computers.

Apple have promoted themselves in a fashion that works for them. This is how business works. If they hit upon a different way to promote themselves, one that will gain them more market-share/profit, then they will use that.

The type of business that Apple are in, requires them to be in your face & often, this is completely different to the way that chip manufacturers market in general.

The Apple marketing very likely puts some people in the Linux world (& elsewhere) off side. It obviously works though, or they wouldn't do it.

Personally, I don't like OS X, I don't think it is beautiful, I find it VERY limiting with regard to GUI configuration choices, & due to this I find it difficult to work with. I also consider the Finder to function in a dreadfully inefficient fashion.

The only reasons I use OS X, is that there are still some things that I require that I can't do in a distro. & it is also a good idea (apparently) to keep a small OS X, system on a Mac (or off it on a remote drive) to enable firmware updates.

I run Arch on my iMac, & love it. With Arch I have control over my system & my understanding of the relatively simple & open system just continues to grow as I use it, & I also like the fact that I can do a full system upgrade daily or however often I choose.

So why am I using an iMac?

Primarily because it fits into my very crowded office.

There was no alternative at the time. There may be others who are producing such a space efficient system these days, though I have only seen do it yourself versions.

the8thstar
February 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Just a quick comment on that:

I agree with the poster's opinion on the matter.

Thus being said, I'm using AWN (unstable) set on Intellihide because I found out this takes less space than the default lower gnome panel on my desktop (with its launchers and window manager).

I also use GlobalMenu in the upper panel because once again I can save space on the desktop.

So that may look like I want my desktop to look like a Mac. Wrong. I made these changes because I wanted my desktop to be convenient for me.