PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Back|Track and Ubuntu

running_rabbit07
February 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have tried Back|Track 4 and I am wondering what would be some cool tools to have on Ubuntu for penetration testing and doing things with wireless that are in the Ubuntu repository. I would prefer to run Ubuntu instead of BT's KDE.

Thanx,
Ronnie

CharlesA
February 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I don't know how much of the stuff in BT4 are in the repos, but I doubt it's much.

You will probably have to go to each site and either install from source or see if there is a deb to install.

Joe Ker1086
February 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
well for the most basic penetration of wirless you can get both aircrack-ng and macchanger from the repository.... not sure what else is there but that should at least get you started :D The nice thing is that most of the penetration tools that are useful are run from terminal so you wont have any conflicts with the KDE aspect

running_rabbit07
February 11th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Got aircrack and macchanger installed now. Between those wireshark and nmap, I think I have enough toys to play with to get me through my NIDS classes.

Thanks,
Ronnie

mkvnmtr
February 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
There are quite a few of the pen testing tools in the repositories. A few you can download from the sites themselves. A few seem to be windows tools that are running in wine and a few are free versions of paid software. Also there seem to be some that are skripts to use programs in a certian way. While BT4 is a great distro for what it is designed for it is not one I would want to run as a desktop. There are loads of fine tools you can add to your desktop Ubuntu to get the practice to use Back Track when it is needed.

Sarmacid
February 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
You can add the BT repos to Ubuntu and download the tools, this is however not supported by the BT team.

Jekshadow
February 13th, 2010, 07:19 AM
You can add the BT repos to Ubuntu and download the tools, this is however not supported by the BT team.

From http://www.backtrack-linux.org/faq/:

We recommend against this action because Backtrack tools are built with many custom features and libraries.

It would be easier to add the Ubuntu repos to a Backtrack install and install the ubuntu-desktop package.

26venger
February 16th, 2010, 05:00 AM
i thought it would be interesting to try nubuntu. i think its basicly the same as ubuntu but with pen testing tools

uRock
February 16th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I have been playing with Zenmap which is a GUI front end for NMAP and I must say that I like it. I set it running on one of my other machines to scan my production system with and without UFW and I watched it all on Wireshark. Without the wireshark, I was seeing the ICMP replies to the UDP packets and thought it was wild, then when I turned on UFW and ran it again, all you could see were the incoming packets with no response. I am really impressed. Tomorrow I plan to run the same tests against Windows 7 and see how that turns out. I will post the outcome here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8833517#post8833517).