PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Basic for Ubuntu

Steve S.
March 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Good morning!

I recently picked up a "Dummies" book on beginning programming and it uses Liberty Basic as it's programming language.

I have been using Ubuntu for a year or so (Gentoo for a little while before that) and love it.

Is there a way to do Liberty Basic in Ubuntu? Something in Synaptic that I overlooked?

Thanks!

hod139
March 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
There is no ubuntu package. There is however a GNU-LibertyBasic compiler collection project (http://lbpp.sourceforge.net/). You can download and install their compiler manually.

If you really want to learn libertyBasic, by all means go ahead, but I would not suggest that as a first programming language to learn, especially if you want to do Linux programming. For a language I would suggest either Python, C++, C#, or Java. These 4 languages are the most popular and will have the most free resources available. In my opinion (and flame me if you disagree), Python is becoming the Ubuntu favorite, C++ is still holding on as the industry favorite, but Java and C# are fast moving to displace C++. You can also read the sticky thread "Which programming language / GUI Program?" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=13507) or post a specific question in this thread.

Steve S.
March 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Ok, good to know. I'm not married to Liberty Basic by any stretch...

The guy that got me going with Linux back in the day (Gentoo at the time) is a big fan of Ruby. What do you think of it for a newbie to learn?

hod139
March 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I never leared Ruby so I cannot comment too much. All I can say is that some people swear by it.

An important question to ask before learning any language is to define the problem to solve. Certain languages are better at solving certain problems. If you have a specific problem to solve, it will be easier to find a language. Do you have a specific goal in mind, or are you looking for a general purpose language?

skymt
March 7th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Lets try not to start a language war. Python and Ruby are both great languages, and very good for beginners, but their proponants can get a little hot-headed about their preferences. Ruby is my personal choice because I like some of the syntax choices the designer made. Python is probably a very tiny bit more confusing (whitespace aware syntax, list comprehensions), but there are plenty of resources for beginners.

Overall, I say Python, mainly for the great support. It's easier to find help for beginning programmers using Python than Ruby.

tcarisland
December 4th, 2011, 12:39 AM
As a real rookie when it comes to programming - I find that Perl is what got me to take the big jump and try to learn a real programming language (it seemed so scary for such a long time).

Like Python - Perl has some real great documentation, and is equally well supported in Linux. I started reading it because I wanted to try and write scripts for Gimp (which is something you also could do in Python - the two scripting languages for Gimp are Python and Perl). I did some searching and found this free book published at the official Perl website:

http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/

I also did some reading up on C++ after I got a through a few chapters in the Perl book, just to see how a more powerful and stricter language might look like (they seem very familiar, I guess that's not so strange seeing as C++, Perl and Python are all C derivatives)

Anyway - seeing as there's so much debate on which language is the best, I'll just say from a newbie perspective that the best language is the one that you can find good books on that you understand - and to me, that language was Perl. Which is very fun to play around with on my Ubuntu netbook and my Ubuntu server.

DangerOnTheRanger
December 4th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Thread closed for necromancy in 3, 2, 1...