PDA

View Full Version : Netbook Remix Install

Excalibur55
February 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for my questions but hopefully someone will direct me appropriately.

I have a fairly aged Toshiba satellite that still has windows 98SE. I wanted to scrap the Windows setup on it and instead, give a try w/ Ubuntu Netbook Remix -- 1st time use of Ubuntu for me.

Looking at the download area for UNR, it refers to downloading a cd image which shouldn't be a problem.

It also refers to making up a bootable flash drive.

My Q:

When I make up the CD, is that sufficient for the install on the laptop ? (I do have a CD Rom drive on it)

Is it required that I create the bootable flash drive ? (my old school lapto has USB ports but, unlike XP & beyond, Windows 98 didn't have plug-n-play capability. Not sure how much of a burden it's going to be to use the flash drive.

I understand that the flash drive presents an option for those folks w/o CD rom drives -- but I sort of have the reverse situation: Good on CD Rom, ? on USB

Thanks -
Mark

darkod
February 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
You're correct, a cd created with the ISO will do the job. No need for usb stick.
Just to remind you that Desktop 32bit version will also run nice on a laptop (actually I have it on my netbook too). The UNR has a specific menu layout so it depends on how you like it. I didn't.
Also, depending of the laptop spec, if you need a lighter version of ubuntu, that's Xubuntu, for lower spec hardware.

snowpine
February 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Excalibur, Ubuntu Netbook Remix is designed for newer "netbook" computers such as the Asus EEE... so make sure your old laptop meets the minimum hardware requirements:

If you have a netbook and a supported graphics card, using Ubuntu Netbook Remix is an interesting option. It has a nice interface adapted for smaller screens, and a selection of applications aimed at netbook users.

Because the launcher uses OpenGL, your graphics card needs to be fully supported under Ubuntu in order to run smoothly.

Supported graphics cards

* ATI cards (R6xx/R7xx may require the proprietary fglrx driver)
* Recent Intel cards (i915 or better, except GMA 500 / Poulsbo / SCH)
* NVidia cards with the proprietary NVidia driver

Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu Netbook Remix should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification.

* 700 MHz x86 processor
* 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 6 GB of disk space
* Graphics card capable of 800x600 resolution and 3D (OpenGL)
* Sound card
* A network or Internet connection

starsprout
February 11th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'd go with the regular desktop version.

It should be a breeze for you and the machine will run so much better than when *******