PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you add basic auto arrange option to ubuntu?

aviramof
February 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
at least something basic to the desktop that would prevent files from going one on top of the other.

is there any particilular reason for that?

thanks in advance.

LKjell
February 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Could be that metacity is stupid. Anyway try out xmonad it will do that for you.

aviramof
February 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
thank you very much i'll look into it.

ok i have managed to install it but now how do i use it?

jpeddicord
February 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Could be that metacity is stupid. Anyway try out xmonad it will do that for you.

That's not a very productive way to go about things. Regardless, Nautilus handles the managing of icons on the desktop, not the window manager.

LKjell
February 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Obs I better read carefully. Xmonad is a tiling windows manager. So it will arrange the windows not the icon files on the Desktop.

emarkay
February 12th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Something better that "Clean up by Name" I presume?

23meg
February 12th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

ElSlunko
February 12th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Clean up by name and Keep Aligned should work as long as you don't exceed the max number of icons on your desktop.

aviramof
February 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
i don't have any icons on my desktop but say i download some files after they all finished downloading
i need to clean by name because they are one on top of the other and then i need to do clean by name
or drag them manuall the option keep align doesn't do nothing about this.

and i can i switch between metacitiy compiz and Xmonad?

in the past it was in main menu other where is it now?

thanks in advance.

Swagman
February 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Downloads should automatically go in the "Downloads" folder <-- Surprisingly enough.

Not be spattered all over the desktop

ElSlunko
February 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
i don't have any icons on my desktop but say i download some files after they all finished downloading
i need to clean by name because they are one on top of the other and then i need to do clean by name
or drag them manuall the option keep align doesn't do nothing about this.

and i can i switch between metacitiy compiz and Xmonad?

in the past it was in main menu other where is it now?

thanks in advance.

I might be missing something but do you have "Keep Aligned" checked when you rightclick the desktop?

aviramof
February 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM
yes of course and yet when i download files they immediatly go to the top right corner(i'm using ubuntu in hebrew)and if there is already something there it just go on top of it i also had it in ubuntu 8.10 and i never managed to understand why nobody fixed it till today because it's such an obvious problem but now i'm starting to think that maybe because i use hebrew ubuntu the Keep Aligned option doesn't work.

maybe.

or maybe it's something eles i don't know but the fact is that if i download say five files then those five files will go one on top of the other in the same place at the top right side of the screen and then i have to clean by name to allign them seperetly.

and actually there is another thing about that that i just noticed i have jus int this very second extracted a pdf file from a zip file and he automatilcy allinged him self at the top right of the screen regardless of the fact there is already a link there and not below the last file on the screen and again i had to clean by name to solve this problem.

t0p
February 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Downloads should automatically go in the "Downloads" folder <-- Surprisingly enough.

Not be spattered all over the desktop

Downloads will go whereever you choose to have them go. But ~/Desktop is set as default when using Firefox (and probably other browsers). You can set this behaviour in firefox at Edit > Preferences > General.

If you use the DownloadHelper add-on, downloads will go to the folder ~/dwhelper. No, I have no idea why it's called dwhelper.

If you use wget, downloaded files will go to your present working directory - unless you tell it to do otherwise, I think by using the -P or --direcory-prefix flags.

Incidentally Swagman: you might think it's obvious that downloaded files should go to the "Downloads" folder; but I certainly don't see it as obvious. You can see the contents of ~/Desktop and click on them etc without needing a file manager window open. How is it better to have your downloads go to a directory you can't see?

aviramof
February 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
i personaly always prefer to change it do desktop unless i'm downloading torrents and etc with multple files but single files download should always go the desktop the big problem i have is that in ubuntu this files goes one on top of the other and not one after the other or after the last file who is already presenece there maybe it had something do to because i'm using ubuntu in RTL rather then is LTR but what ever the reason is i think that this problem should be fix as soon as possible.

LowSky
February 12th, 2010, 04:11 PM
This is why I turn off desktop icons for mounted drives, and just use the pael applet to do most of my bidding. I do make firefox downloads go to the deskotp, If I keep them they go into my /home folder, otherwise I install/use and delete.

aviramof
February 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
and how do i do that?desktop icons for mounted drives?i don't need that after all i can use places button
and pael apple what about that?

and by the way i have installed xmonad because of a previous reply how do i use it?and how do i switch between metacity compiz and xmonad?

in previous version it was possible via applications-other but now there is nothing in others.

thanks in advance.

Simian Man
February 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I like the way Thunar does desktop icons better. They can't be in arbitrary locations and have to be on a grid. It's one less feature than Nautilus, but I hate having disorganized icons, so why have that as an option?

aviramof
February 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
how do i use Thunar?does he support lucid?

swoll1980
February 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
and how do i do that?desktop icons for mounted drives?i don't need that after all i can use places button

use
gconf-editor it's like apps>nautilus>desktop I think. You will find it. You could also install tweak Ubuntu. It's a nice easy program that helps you configure Ubuntu.

aviramof
February 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
thank you very much.

in any case i still would like to see a good basic auto arrange option for desktop.

blur xc
February 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Incidentally Swagman: you might think it's obvious that downloaded files should go to the "Downloads" folder; but I certainly don't see it as obvious. You can see the contents of ~/Desktop and click on them etc without needing a file manager window open. How is it better to have your downloads go to a directory you can't see?

You do realize you can click files from the download dialog in firefox? When I discovered that, it was like an epiphany moment. You can also right click it and tell it to open the containing folder...

I don't like a littered desktop- much rather have a littered downloads folder.

BM

squilookle
February 12th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm not running Ubuntu on the desktop, but I am running GNOME 2.28.2, and Clean Up By Name seems to do the trick.

I know I'm not the first to say that, so I imagine Ubuntu has not removed this from GNOME... (that and the fact it would be pointless to remove it...)

aviramof
February 13th, 2010, 03:00 AM
i don't understand there was a time thet there was auto arrange in gnome?

i'v read that kde has that option but becuase i'm using lucid 10.04 and kde is 9.10 it didn't worked so well i'v

tried and who know how much damage did it do when i uninstalled it and what it left behind.