PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Run Ubuntu from encrypted USB drive?

ulg
February 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I've been running Ubuntu from a USB drive. Now i need to work with sensitive data online and stored on the USB drive. Is it possible to run Ubuntu from an encrypted USB drive? If so, how would i do it?

If it's not possible, do you have any suggestions.

Thanks

snowpine
February 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
You can use the Ubuntu Alternate Install CD. It has an option to create an Encrypted LVM install (everything is encrypted except for /boot).

When you get to the last step of the installer, click Advanced Options and make sure GRUB is installed to the USB stick (so you don't mess up the MBR on your internal hard drive).

Hope that's clear, ask if you have questions.

DZ*
February 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM
You can add an encrypted account to your existing USB installation.

sudo apt-get install ecryptfs-utils
sudo adduser --encrypt-home LoginNameXXX

edit:you may also want to encrypt or disable swap and encrypt or
put into RAM /tmp

ulg
February 12th, 2010, 04:48 AM
You can use the Ubuntu Alternate Install CD. It has an option to create an Encrypted LVM install (everything is encrypted except for /boot).

When you get to the last step of the installer, click Advanced Options and make sure GRUB is installed to the USB stick (so you don't mess up the MBR on your internal hard drive).

Hope that's clear, ask if you have questions.

Don't know how to do this. I downloaded the CD desktop image from the For your desktop page and created a CD. I loaded the install CD onto my windows laptop and got to the prepare disk space page, chose specify partitions manually and got an error No root file system is defined. I'd appreciate some help, I'm new to this. Thanks.

jflaker
February 12th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I'll make life easy on you...

Download TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org) and you can create a volume container (volume file) which you mount with TrueCrypt...store your data in this container and you don't need to worry about encrypting the whole system.

Alternatively, you can use TrueCrypt to encrypt your whole drive, either boot drive or USB drive....or both if you really insist on full encryption of EVERYTHING....both are rather simple to do.