PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost wobbly windows

Bartender
February 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Yesterday I installed the latest kernel update, then restarted.

This morning I fired up the PC, and it appears that all or most of the compiz settings don't work. I've only got a few turned on, such as wobbly and opacify.

AFAICT all the settings still look the same in Compiz Settings Manager.

Anyone else do the kernel update and lose compiz eye candy? Any ideas on how to get it back?

Grenage
February 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Have you tried disabling compiz and re-enabling it?

ashwinrao
February 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, even I have experienced the same issue. I have lost my emerald settings for the windows. The thing helped me is: System >>> Preferences >>> CompizConfig Settings Manager >>> Effects >>> Window Decoration. Here, please reset the 'Command' by clicking the button in front of it.

The thing I have noticed that it was set to 'emerald --replace' instead of '/usr/bin/compiz-decorator'.

Also, this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=896124)might help you.

Bartender
February 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I didn't want to ask how to do it. Found this link
http://www.susegeek.com/compizcompiz-fusion/temporarily-disableenable-compiz-fusion-desktop-effects-in-opensuse/

and used the two commands shown

Alt+F2 metacity — replace

then

Alt+F2 compiz-manager –replace

Notice the poster wasn't very careful about his dash spacing before the "replace". That had me worried. But it worked. Are these the directions you would have given for disabling/re-enabling?

I guess compiz just does this every once in a while? Will have to write these directions down.

EDIT: Found this

Press Alt+F2 and type in
Code:

metacity --replace

Then to turn Compiz back on press Alt+F2 again and enter
Code:

compiz --replace

Looks like there's not just one way to enter the dashes...

ashwinrao
February 11th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I didn't want to ask how to do it. Found this link
http://www.susegeek.com/compizcompiz-fusion/temporarily-disableenable-compiz-fusion-desktop-effects-in-opensuse/

and used the two commands shown

Alt+F2 metacity — replace

then

Alt+F2 compiz-manager –replace

Notice the poster wasn't very careful about his dash spacing before the "replace". That had me worried. But it worked. Are these the directions you would have given for disabling/re-enabling?

I guess compiz just does this every once in a while? Will have to write these directions down.

EDIT: Found this

Press Alt+F2 and type in
Code:

metacity --replace

Then to turn Compiz back on press Alt+F2 again and enter
Code:

compiz --replace

Looks like there's not just one way to enter the dashes...

No, I have posted how I resolved the issue. But, I didn't resolve it completely. When I reboot, all my compiz settings were lost again. Why this is happening? I didn't had this issue before. Could you please let me know how it worked for you? Is your compiz settings worked after reboot? Thanks in advance for your directions.

Bartender
February 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Well, you've gone one level past me. I haven't installed emerald. Just installed ccsm from the repo's.

But, yeah, for me this is all I did:

Alt+F2, then
metacity - replace

I didn't know if I should wait or something? :D A few seconds later I did:

Alt+F2, then
compiz-manager –replace and compiz immediately started working again with all settings as they were.

I know that two dashes tells the system something different than one, but forgot what that is.

When something like compiz just stops working every once in a while, it makes me nervous about doing anything to provoke it! I found most of the effects lost their charm after a few days, so I'm just running a few effects at basic settings.

Oh, dang, I'm on a different PC now in a different place. So I haven't tested reboot. Sorry. I'll post back later with an answer.

EDIT: OK, I've rebooted a coupla times. compiz working just like before.

ashwinrao
February 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your answer! Some thing might be wrong with updates, I'm pretty sure about it. I have resolved the emerald issue by adding the command 'emerald --replace' to start-up applications. After that I got emerald working even after reboot.