PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installable on Dell

Barabas69
February 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry, this may sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to get into a bind I can't solve. I was wondering if Ubuntu 9.10 is installable on Dell computers alongside Windows XP sp3.

shriramrs31
February 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
First try out the live CD OR make a live USB with UNetBootin. Mostly everything must work out of the box. If not, you might have to put a little effort. In this case, have a look at the Ubuntu hardware compatibility list.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/

This will give you an idea of the drivers for the hardware present in your laptop.

I have a lenovo thinkpad and the only device that I cant make it work like I want it to is the fingerprint sensor. All the other hardware PERFECT !

Barabas69
February 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Ok, this is a Dell Dimension, desktop (old I know, but it works lol). Basically, trying the install won't cause irreversible damage then?

crlang13
February 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
It shouldn't. Partitioning is the only semi-tricky bit and that's not even bad, the installer does it automatically for you but gives you the option of doing it manually.Either way, up to that point nothing has been changed and you can still back out if you don't understand and come back here to ask more questions :p

However, back up all your important files before you do it just in case.

shriramrs31
February 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
trying the install won't cause irreversible damage then?

Since this is your first time (I guess ;-) ), it is advisable to backup your existing data in case something goes wrong. But, generally no.

Do you have an idea about partitioning and dual boot Operating System ? If not, please have a look at the guides in this url.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to post it here. I am (and others in this forum are) always glad to help out in case problem surfaces.

good luck.