PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen after successfu install

Cowbot
February 11th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I feel I'm extremely close to getting ubuntu on my old Toshiba Sattelite 1135-S155. It meets the minimum requirements (barely). I was able to go through almost the entire install process, but at the end when I restarted, I was told to remove the disc and hit enter, which I did. Then nothing but a black screen with a blinking cursor and unresponsive keyboard.

I powered down, restarted, and got the grub. Same thing: it identifies the Ubuntu OS , but when I select it to boot, nothing but a black screen with a blinking cursor and unresponsive keyboard.

I'm trying to run this machine purely on ubuntu- no windows installed.

I can actually load and run the OS from the "Try Ubuntu" option that rune off the CD.

Any Ideas on how I can fix this? Pulled out too much hair the last two nights!:)

Sef
February 11th, 2010, 06:12 AM
What happens when you run the live cd?

Cowbot
February 11th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I can run the live cd-- I have to check the acpi=0 box on the F6 menu.

It will either install if I choose that option, or run the "Try ubuntu without making changes to your computer".

I have reinstalled the OS, and once again, when I restart to complete installation--black screen with cursor---only option is to power down. The Grub loads, but when I select Ubuntu, it's back to black screen with blinking cursor.

Cowbot
February 16th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I was able to install 8.04 without problems. Enjoying Ubuntu!